Key Fob Battery Replacement not covered by warranty; Dealer Says

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi Guys,

Just went to my local Nissan dealer at Alhambra and asked about the key fob battery replacement. I first asked a sale rep and was told to go to parts. I went to parts and asked and was told to go to service and asked a service advisor. So I go down there and ask and was told the battery replacement is not covered by the warranty. That I need to go to parts, buy the battery, and they can put it in. Service advisor said the battery costs ten bucks!

So, a little background for me is that I had already replaced the battery by buying a 4 pack at harbor freight. It has probably been about a month and I am getting low bat messages again. Someone had mentioned the bat replace was covered, but I went in today and it seems it is not.

Just wanted to let you guys know!

I had wondered if the HF batteries were any good for the money. I guess not.

I shopped locally and bought an Energizer 2025 2-pack from Fry's for $3.79, but understand they can be had slightly cheaper at Albertson's (of all places) - $2.99 plus tax.

Greatness thanks guys.

I just went in because I think someone mentioned it could be covered. Good thing we now know it is not. I still have 3 more to go, so I will hold before buying a higher brand like energizer or sony ;0

NissanLeafCamper said:
Greatness thanks guys.

I just went in because I think someone mentioned it could be covered. Good thing we now know it is not. I still have 3 more to go, so I will hold before buying a higher brand like energizer or sony ;0

Not trying to be a douche here at all but isn't your time worth more than going to a dealer for a fob battery ? You can buy them all day at Home Depot and CVS and buy just one for cheap. Both places are less than a mile from my house, the dealership is minimum 5-6 miles and the fact they kept rerouting you to a different department, total waste of time, maybe I'd have called the dealer, but for a $5 fix I would have not gone to my dealership. That's just me ;)

:eek:

You're right sondy!

I should have just skipped the trip but... I needed to charge anyway and their free charging station was close by. I thought... 'why not' and off I went :p. Charged for an hour for free. Saved, I guess, a few cents? :lol: but lost time so I guess it evened out :|

At the very least though the car 'warns' you when the key fob battery gets low versus simply NOT working ... our LEAF is 3 1/2 years old and I think the original lasted 3 years; quite easy to change but finding a 'fresh' supply not always easy as some sit on the shelves of these stores for quite awhile.

For what it is worth, when I purchased the car last September I asked for some batteries and the salesman gave me 3.

I have never bought batteries from HF but have a bunch of them right now and they seem to work ok. they give them away all the time.

as far a warranty on the FOB battery? are you serious?

redLEAF said:
At the very least though the car 'warns' you when the key fob battery gets low versus simply NOT working ... our LEAF is 3 1/2 years old and I think the original lasted 3 years; quite easy to change but finding a 'fresh' supply not always easy as some sit on the shelves of these stores for quite awhile.

ya, the warning on my 2011 came on about a year early. I pretty much ignored it until it completely stopped working one day...

I've had my LEAF just about 16 months and my wife's fob is getting a low battery warning. But she only drives it occasionally; my fob is the one used every day. I suspect it might have been in her purse with something pressing on one of the buttons.

So my salesman warned me about replacing the battery myself... that I could damage the fob, and that instead I could into service to have it replaced. I'm skeptical about damaging it, and figured it's like many things salesmen tell you. Am I right?

Back