Annual battery check runaround

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psyclonus

Last year, my wife took our LEAF in for the annual battery check at the dealer in Cedar Falls, Iowa, who eventually came out and told her "everything is fine". She asked to see the printout of the check, but they claimed they had already cleared the computer and that their printer was broken. She didn't really buy this, but whatever, it was done.

We've since moved to Omaha, and she took it in today for its second check, and the dealer here told her that the car has to be brought in with as close to 5 miles left of range on the GOM as possible, then she has to leave it there for them to charge it and monitor the charging.

Is this normal? It's certainly not what the other dealer had us do, though if I had to guess, they probably checked the 12V battery at the Iowa dealership...

We've not experienced a similar situation, each time just dropping the car off with whatever charge it had, but usually over 80%. Results have always been the same with 5 stars in all catagories. I've not read differently here in MNL and the check seems mostly to be a download to Nissan, not a particular service to the customer. Of course, keeping up with these annual checks seems to be a requirement for the 5/60 battery warranty, a benefit we're experiencing now.

No that's not normal. The normal battery check is fast and easy, and you should always get the printout...not that it's very useful. There is a diagnostic procedure that involves running the battery down, but it is NOT the normal battery check. These guys just don't know what they're doing. Sorry you seem to have gotten two in a row.

Back