charging problem on a used 2011 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loduffy

I purchased this 2011 SL from Carmax about 4 months ago. Because there was only 8 battery capacity bars, I was able to get a new battery from Nissan.

Today, when I left work, I noticed the charging (L2) was not complete. I thought it was accidentally triggered off, and didn't pay much attention. I was able to make it home, and plugged it in to the charger (L1) right away. I heard the usual clicking sounds. The light on the dash stayed on for 10 seconds, and I heard some clicking noise from the back of the car. Then the light went off. I tried this a few more times, still the same. I disconnected/reconnected the 12v battery, still the same.

I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning. Since I purchased it used, without any warranty, is this going to be expensive? Just want to get some idea. Thanks a lot.

As far as warranty coverage, does the car have more than 60k miles? If not, and if the problem is with the OBC or the OEM EVSE (unmodified), the EV system should still be covered under the 5 year/60k mile EV system warranty:

Motor, Inverter unit, VCM, Reduction gear, DC/DC converter, Onboard charger, Onboard charger connector, and Trickle charge cable.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/images/c/c3/2011-leaf-warranty-booklet.pdf and scroll down to page 7.

Did you verify the car started to charge at work? The most common problem like this is having the charge timer set. The three blue dash lights would light one at a time in sequence for about 15 minutes if this was the case. Doesn't seem like this is your problem though.

Any warning lights on the driver's display?

If charging was interrupted by the car, there should be trouble codes set. LeafSpy can read those.

If your L1 EVSE is the Panasonic, it would charge even if the diode in the charger was faulty.

Please let us know what you discover.

Sorry about the late update.

The Nissan tech saw p3173 and b29c1 codes after charging attempts. The problem was resolved by replacing OBC. Since my 2011 has less than 60k on it, the repair was covered under warranty.

It took about a week, mainly due to limited availability of Leaf Tech at the dealership (Mossy Nissan Poway), and parts not in stock. The dealership was very accommodating, and the process was pretty painless. I do wish they would provide a leaf as a loaner in the future :)

I have yet to try charging (I just got the car today) at home. But the dealership was able to charge with 220 V without any problem.

Back