Map lights aren't turning off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsmithii

The map lights (driver and passenger, on either side of the sunglasses tray) are staying on. I actually have never used them, so for them to be on in the first place is odd. Pushing any of the buttons on that unit has no impact on whether the map lights turn on or off. I've driven the car 3 times, and charged once since noticing this problem in the last 24 hours. The map lights remain on whether the car is on, off (for about 10 minutes until they shut off), or driving.

Any ideas?

Make sure neither button is depressed. With no buttons depressed, the map lights will turn on when the door(s) is (are) opened and turn off after a short time delay when the doors are closed. They will stay on if the left button is depressed (battery saver will turn them off 10 or 15 minutes after car is turned off). I think having the right button depressed keeps the map lights from coming on when the doors are opened. I will confirm the next time I drive my Leaf, but I think that there is no way to turn the lights off during the time delay when they are activated by opening a door.

Gerry

Make sure neither button is depressed. With no buttons depressed, the map lights will turn on when the door(s) is (are) opened and turn off after a short time delay when the doors are closed.

This was the problem. It sounds stupid, "the button was depressed." Thing was, all 4 were depressed. One of them turns on both map lights, and no matter what, the other buttons have no effect. So with all 4 depressed, I was only pressing each one at a time. Then my kid giggled in the back seat and said he pressed all the buttons yesterday.

:roll:

You turn the map lights on and off by pushing on the lenses themselves. Put a finger on the little nub on the actual lens and push.

That's not how it works in my 2013 model. I sure did try though.

You push on the lights themselves on 2011 and 2012. 2013 and newer have the multiple buttons and factory LEDs. I actually liked the map lights in my old one better after I put LED bulbs in them--they were brighter (and with less glare) than the factory LEDs in the new one. At least I did not have to replace the map light bulbs in the 2015, just the dome light and cargo light with dim able LEDs.

Gerry

mwalsh said:
You turn the map lights on and off by pushing on the lenses themselves. Put a finger on the little nub on the actual lens and push.
The map light design was totally changed on the '13+ Leafs. The above doesn't make any sense on the '13 (see below).

Just for kicks, I tried pushing on the lenses, to no avail.
P1120628-r1.jpg
tomsmithii said:
This was the problem. It sounds stupid, "the button was depressed." Thing was, all 4 were depressed. One of them turns on both map lights, and no matter what, the other buttons have no effect. So with all 4 depressed, I was only pressing each one at a time. Then my kid giggled in the back seat and said he pressed all the buttons yesterday.

:roll:
Yeah, you'll want to make sure none of them are depressed.

Back