Windshield washer fluid not squirting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcGeller

My windshield washer fluid isn't squirting. The wipers work fine. Anyone know if there is a fuse dedicated to the fluid motor? Is the motor likely to have failed?

My (2011) windshield washers never worked adequately from day one, nor could the dealer do anything to make it better. The right sprayer - where the driver sits in Japan - works much better than the left, but still not as well as on any other car I've owned. I keep a squeegee and spray bottle handy.

I don't know whether Nissan corrected this design defect in later models, nor whether any after market sprayer is available to replace the OEM junk.

Can you hear the motor running and if yes then check if water is in tank and also confirm no puddles on the ground. There is a possible disconnected hose and or hole I the hose (potential chewed by little rascals - ive fixed a few during winter months)

walterbays said:
My (2011) windshield washers never worked adequately from day one, nor could the dealer do anything to make it better.
I've noticed the deficiency too, and found it helps a little to pull several times rapidly on the wiper/washer lever.

My (2015) has the same issue with the left not being as powerful as the right. I never bothered to ask the dealer about it.

Try using compressed air on the restricted line. Or just replace the hose (especially if 120psi blows it up).

walterbays said:
My (2011) windshield washers never worked adequately from day one, nor could the dealer do anything to make it better. The right sprayer - where the driver sits in Japan - works much better than the left, but still not as well as on any other car I've owned. I keep a squeegee and spray bottle handy.

I don't know whether Nissan corrected this design defect in later models, nor whether any after market sprayer is available to replace the OEM junk.
FWIW I had the dealer replace both nozzles on my 2012. It had also been bad from day one. When I got it back, the nozzles had much better spray performance, but were aligned pointing too high so they hit the edge of the hood. If the hood was open, they worked great, but can't drive that way. I took it back and they re-adjusted the nozzle and it works much better now. I had this done just before the warranty went out due to mileage. They had to order the nozzles, maybe the newer stock nozzles are better. YMMV.

adspguy said:
FWIW I had the dealer replace both nozzles on my 2012. It had also been bad from day one. ... works much better now...YMMV.
Thank you! I had the dealer replace them on my 2011 and they are much better, which is to say they work at all, though still not as well as on any other car I've ever driven. The right sprayer is now a little weak but hits the entire glass surface. The driver side left sprayer shoots a weak stream about half way up the glass.

The part numbers changed in 2013 and the newer sprayer nozzles are slightly cheaper than the 2011/12 nozzles. To the mechanic's eye there is no discernible difference between them, but it seems like the newer ones may work a little better.

I can't imagine why this design defect was never the subject of a safety recall.

walterbays said:
I can't imagine why this design defect was never the subject of a safety recall.

Because no one lets their Leaf get dirty enough to use the windshield washer fluid! :lol:

walterbays said:
... I can't imagine why this design defect was never the subject of a safety recall.
There is the post from couple years back where driver in Norway got rid of brand new LEAF because of the poor windshield washers.

Was the 2011 replacement with 2013 nozzles done by the dealer at no cost under the warranty?
Is it covered under extended warranty?

Back