System frequency varies 59.85hz and 60.10hz while charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcomendoza

Hello I have a unique problem,

I work at a hydro plant that sometimes is islanded (not on system). We have to provide our own power with 100 year old generator units. The governor can't maintain a consistent 60.00 hz when not synced to the system.

I was wondering if the frequency varies from 59.85 to 60.10hz every 20 seconds would harm the Leaf while charging.

marcomendoza said:
Hello I have a unique problem,

I work at a hydro plant that sometimes is islanded (not on system). We have to provide our own power with 100 year old generator units. The governor can't maintain a consistent 60.00 hz when not synced to the system.

I was wondering if the frequency varies from 59.85 to 60.10hz every 20 seconds would harm the Leaf while charging.
Probably not because it has to convert the AC to DC to charge the battery. The flux in the frequency is well within the tolerance of the on-board charger.

You're probably not islanded too often, right?

Do you have any on-site UPS power that would be used to run computers and/or control systems? That would be pretty clean to occasionally tap into for your EVSE.

You're talking Level 1 at 12 amps?

I don't think it will hurt your OBC. Many here, including me, have charged their LEAFs from portable generators. Mine is inverter-based, so the frequency is accurate, but I imagine many have charged from generators which have the frequency regulated by the speed of the gasoline motor.

Within +or-0.15Hz, I doubt the OBC would even drop out. It can probably track much wider frequency variations without any problem.

I don't think the OBC even really cares about grid frequency or can even measure it. As long as the voltage is correct and not sagging excessively I think you'll be ok.

A tesla on the other hand is a whole other story. They can actually measure frequency and are very sensitive to line voltage. I'm curious to see how one would react if it tried to charge from the island. I know roadster owners had a tough time charging from any generator that's not an inverter based genset, but that might have much larger frequency swings at startup.

JeremyW said:
I don't think the OBC even really cares about grid frequency or can even measure it. As long as the voltage is correct and not sagging excessively I think you'll be ok.

A tesla on the other hand is a whole other story. They can actually measure frequency and are very sensitive to line voltage. I'm curious to see how one would react if it tried to charge from the island. I know roadster owners had a tough time charging from any generator that's not an inverter based genset, but that might have much larger frequency swings at startup.

I wouldn't use that as a reference. The Roadster can not charge from over 2/3 of the existing L2 chargers because of its beahviour at startup, so who knows if it is the frequency of the current it dumps to ground on start.

Sigh...

Back