Charger failing to charge, not getting text alert from LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbio

So I have an odd and annoying problem that has cropped up in my used 2011 Leaf, more specifically, a combination of a 220V EVSE / Leaf problem. I have an NRG-branded LiteOn EVSE, for reference.

I use the charge timer to start charging in the middle of the night. This usually works without a hitch, but 3 or 4 times now I've run into a situation where it seems like my EVSE gets confused and decides it is still "charging" after I unplug it in the morning (at least, this is what the light indicates on the EVSE). What then happens is that I will plug in and go to bed, and no charging occurs. In the AM, the Leaf will have a yellow warning light that something is wrong with the charge system (the yellow Leaf with an exclamation point), but this alert clears if I simply turn the car off and back on. I assume the Leaf is complaining that it is plugged in but can't seem to handshake with the EVSE properly when the charge timer turns on. Power cycling my EVSE seems to reset whatever has gone wonky and everything works again.

The kicker is that I'm not receiving any of the "vehicle not charging" or "vehicle not plugged in" alerts via Carwings / my Leaf app. If I was, I could correct this problem in the evening and be ok. What happens now is I wake up, Leaf is low on charge, I get to work but then spend part of my day going to charge somewhere before I head home since I don't have a charger in my garage at work.

So two basic questions:
1) What am I doing wrong with the "vehicle not plugged in" or not charging alerts at home at night? I've turned it on in the App and the menu in the vehicle, but no alerts.
2) Anyone else experience problems like this with an EVSE? Could it be a problem with the Leaf itself? I have LeafSpyPro and an OBDII reader... not sure how specific a code is being generated when it trips that charge system light.

Best,
DB

Sounds like there is something wrong with the EVSE. I've only had that same kind of warning triangle predictably once before, while trickle charging on one particular 120v outlet at a hotel I've often stayed at. Therefore, it was easy to say "bad outlet". If you're only having this problem at home, on that particular EVSE, I'd be inclined to say "bad EVSE".

You're not going to get the "not plugged in" notification because it IS plugged in. There is no "not charging" notification. I'd call NRG and see if the unit might still be warrantied. It sounds like the LEAF is trying to start charging and the EVSE is failing to turn on the voltage, causing the yellow light.

The only short term solution is to abandon the charge timer since you can't trust your EVSE.

I appreciate the responses... I will say, though, that on the few occasions where i have forgotten to plug in my Leaf, I'm still not getting notified. How close does the "home" icon need to be to my charger icon on the map? Any other thoughts?

The EVSE is under warranty because I optioned to lease it from NRG under a "lease-to-own" style contract. I'll contact my sales rep and see what he says.

Thanks again
DB

You have to go into the setup menus in the car and turn on "Send charging status" and "Send Unplugged status". I can't remember exactly what menu they are in.

Just a quick follow-up to my original post.

With regards to the EVSE, I received a letter from NRG EVgo yesterday informing me of a "recommended upgrade" to my home charger. First, they mentioned a wiring defect in the hard-wired units which made them "difficult to install properly" but I have a plug-in model already. Second, they mentioned a "firmware defect" in the charger which could cause it to continue in the "charging" state after unplugging, requiring an EVSE reset to fix, which is precisely the problem I was having. So it sounds like NRG has figured out the issue and is replacing their home EVSEs that they've sold or leased at no charge. So that's nice.

Secondly, I forgot to plug in my Leaf last night and didn't get a text. I have the options turned on in the car itself, and on the app. The only thing I can figure is for some reason my "home" icon appears to be across the street from my actual house, so maybe it's a proximity issue where it doesn't realize I'm "at home" ... not sure. Going to see if I can't relocate the home icon.

Best,
docbio

Back