VCM

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archil

hi, I have leaf 2013 sl, I bought it after an accident, it needed to replace inverter, so I ordered it online and replaced ( by my self).

to cut the long story short I fixed the whole car by my self ,everything is working fine except charging, it won't charge. when I plug the charger some relays make some sounds and on the esve "charging fault" lamp is lighted.

I connected it to consult 3 plus at official dealer. and the computer says "VCM ERROR"

as dealer said VCM is "vehicle charging module"

I don't know what is it and where it is located

have you any ideas that will help?

Almost forget, in my country there is only one official dealer, and NISSAN company do not allow them to fix leaf, they said they have no qualification about this vehicle, so there's no way, but fixing it by my self

help please :(

Archil said:
hi, I have leaf 2013 sl, I bought it after an accident, it needed to replace inverter, so I ordered it online and replaced ( by my self).

to cut the long story short I fixed the whole car by my self ,everything is working fine except charging, it won't charge. when I plug the charger some relays make some sounds and on the esve "charging fault" lamp is lighted.

I connected it to consult 3 plus at official dealer. and the computer says "VCM ERROR"

as dealer said VCM is "vehicle charging module"

I don't know what is it and where it is located

have you any ideas that will help?

Almost forget, in my country there is only one official dealer, and NISSAN company do not allow them to fix leaf, they said they have no qualification about this vehicle, so there's no way, but fixing it by my self

help please :(
I thought is was the Vehicle Control Module :?

Anyway, it is behind the glove compartment box.
vcm.jpg

Yep, VCM is the vehicle control module. If you have to replace this with a new one, you're going to create another problem for yourself - you will need to find a way to program the battery controller ID into it. It might actually be easier to replace an already matched battery controller and VCM from another car the same year as yours.

Archil said:
I connected it to consult 3 plus at official dealer. and the computer says "VCM ERROR" as dealer said VCM is "vehicle charging module"

Did they give you the exact error code number? It seems unlikely that the VCM module would stop you from charging. However, since the charger and inverter are integrated together in a 2013, it does seem likely that your charging problem has something to do with your inverter replacement.

keydiver said:
Archil said:
I connected it to consult 3 plus at official dealer. and the computer says "VCM ERROR" as dealer said VCM is "vehicle charging module"

Did they give you the exact error code number? It seems unlikely that the VCM module would stop you from charging. However, since the charger and inverter are integrated together in a 2013, it does seem likely that your charging problem has something to do with your inverter replacement.
Do you mean they are the same module and can't be swapped independently? In the 2013, the charger is the top module and the inverter is the next one underneath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GG3QRPGlPc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One can swap out just the charger if you have a matching model and the patience for all the wires.

Extremely zealous for the OP to be doing do it yourself repair in Georgia; Tbilisi.

In previous thread OP stated:
Archil said:
HI everybody, I have nissan leaf 2013 an I have a problem. After an accident my inverter was broken,everything survived but the inverter. I tried to fix it but no way.
Are you sure you have what the US calls a 2013?
With the integrated motor, inverter, charger design hard to see how you could just damage the inverter.

Did OP just replace the single inverter board?

With enough crash damage to hurt the board, very likely there is other cable damage that could be the problem with charging.

knightmb said:
Do you mean they are the same module and can't be swapped independently? In the 2013, the charger is the top module and the inverter is the next one underneath.

I never said they are same module, or can't be replaced independently. But, in 2013 they moved the charger, and integrated it into the same assembly, which makes it likely that the accident that damaged the inverter may also have damaged the charger or the cables and connectors to it.

TimLee said:
Extremely zealous for the OP to be doing do it yourself repair in Georgia; Tbilisi.

In previous thread OP stated:
Archil said:
HI everybody, I have nissan leaf 2013 an I have a problem. After an accident my inverter was broken,everything survived but the inverter. I tried to fix it but no way.
Are you sure you have what the US calls a 2013?
With the integrated motor, inverter, charger design hard to see how you could just damage the inverter.

Did OP just replace the single inverter board?

With enough crash damage to hurt the board, very likely there is other cable damage that could be the problem with charging.
first of all 2013 is 2013 even in Georgia, Tbilisi :D it's even almost 2014 because it's made in december :)))))

and yes PDM INVERTER and ELECTRIC MOTOR are integrated.... I wonder how previous owner did this accident, nothing was damaged but inverter....nothing but few wires which were too easy to fix.

something hit it from upside on the hood, damaged little battery which is in the motor section, and also hit PDM... PDM moved a little but survived, some bolts which holds inverter and pdm bent and the inverter was broken.

I tested the recupiration mode, car charges itself, but cannot be charged from esve.

almost forget, driver airbag on the steering wheel is opened, I read in the inernet, that when airbag is opened the connection between vcm and car is gone....but why everything works but charging?

thank you for responding! :)

keydiver said:
Archil said:

an error I remember is "U - 1000" or "U - 100"

here are the errors:

B1421-00
B1430-13
B1431-13
B1432-13

P318E
P3193

C1704
C1707

B0001-13
B0002-13
B0028-13
B00A0-88

B1431-13
B1432-13

P3179
P31EE

then came: CHARGER/PD module- ERROR

and then
P325C
U1000
P31B3
P0A00

I think that's all

most of these codes are airbag codes,frontal collision code,coolant temperature sensor refrigerant pressure sensor andlow tire sensors. That's no probem for me.... but P2179 is motor system, what can be wrong with the motor system, when car rides perfectly?
oh also P325C is "drive motor position" or something like that,I understand the words but don't understand the meaning of that words :D

Just starting to study this stuff myself, but I would look at your P31** errors. They seem to indicate you've got communication problems between the VCM, LBC, and Inverter. Given the previous damage, could have a damaged wire or connector in there somewhere? Even a bent pin in one of those dense connectors could do it?

Hopefully you've already figured out the issue by now :)

Rob

Thank you. What program can read the firmware from this unit? It is better - according to OBD2!

Back