Norway Charging Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldor

Hello Leaf owners!

I live in Norway and bought a Tekna last July. I ordered all the options available to the Leaf in my market.. I bought a Level 2 cable and really happy until I used Leaf Spy Pro. According to Leaf Spy I am only charging at 3.3kw. I was at a level 2 station with a maximum output of 22kw. After further reading I notice that the display on my dashboard only show the 3.3kw charging time, meaning that the dealer stiffed me! I met with the dealer this morning and they are looking into this. This was the second most important option for me after the Quick Charging capability.

So my question is. Can the Nissan Dealer add the 6.6kw charging unit to a car that has the 3.3kw from the factory?

To be honest, this is the best car I have owned, and I have owned many prestigious brands. I have driven 15200 km since July and my battery stats are as follow:

AHr=66.17
SOH= 100% 369.17V
72 QC´s
491 L1/l2+s

Thanks for your help.

Halldor said:
So my question is. Can the Nissan Dealer add the 6.6kw charging unit to a car that has the 3.3kw from the factory?

Not easily. If the dealer made a mistake, they will probably have to exchange it for another car.

It's interesting that Sunderland LEAFs can be equipped like this. LEAFs built at Smyrna aren't equipped with both a 3kW charger and CHAdeMO. I think any car built there with CHAdeMO also has a 6kW charger.

kubel said:
It's interesting that Sunderland LEAFs can be equipped like this. LEAFs built at Smyrna aren't equipped with both a 3kW charger and CHAdeMO. I think any car built there with CHAdeMO also has a 6kW charger.

I think standard household outlets provide 3kW in England, so people often prefer to just use those instead of installing a dedicated 6kW charging station.
So, Nissan felt it was a waste to make 6kW standard for Sunderland vehicles.

Assuming Sunderland builds all their cars to pretty much the same specifications regardless of country (with steering wheel placement being the main difference), the OP's car should have a 6.6 kW on board charger as per this spec sheet from Nissan UK:

http://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/services/gb/brochure/Nissan_Leaf_UK_technical_specs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a possibility that Nissan Sunderland was still building 3.3 kW cars last year for some trim levels.

I bought a Type 2 cable mennekes. On level 1 charging I'm charging at 2kw. At the 22kw
level 2 charger I'm charging at 3.3kw.

Halldor said:
I bought a Type 2 cable mennekes. On level 1 charging I'm charging at 2kw. At the 22kw
level 2 charger I'm charging at 3.3kw.
Sure, but the cable has a maximum amperage rating just as the car and EVSE do. The charge session uses the lowest of the three ratings. If you bought a cable that was only good for 16a, that could be your limiting factor. (In the U.S. and Canada that doesn't come up because the cable is always integrated into the EVSE.)

https://speakev.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-a-nissan-leaf-is-a-3-3kw-or-6-6kw.2859/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Assuming the cable doesn't get involved with the pilot signal, how does it control the charge rate? Are there programming pins on the Mennekes end, perhaps?

I know I've read about how that works on here somewhere, but I've searched all around the net without finding it. I'm pretty sure the cable is protected. If it wasn't someone could buy a 16a cable and unwittingly use it at 32a, which would be very bad.

I hadn't looked into the European charging cables before. I had read that the EVSEs have no charge cord and that the owner of the car brought their own cord to charge.

This site shows a selection of the cords and indicates that the cords are commonly available in 16A and 32A varieties.
http://pim.cenex.co.uk/plugged-in-midlands/charging-point-equipment/electric-vehicle-charging-cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the Leaf in question is only charging at 3.3kW, it seems it could very well be that the cord is only rated for 16A.

That is interesting because it adds a 3rd component to the negotiation as to how much current to allow.

Halldor said:
Hello Leaf owners!

I live in Norway and bought a Tekna last July. I ordered all the options available to the Leaf in my market.. I bought a Level 2 cable and really happy until I used Leaf Spy Pro. According to Leaf Spy I am only charging at 3.3kw. I was at a level 2 station with a maximum output of 22kw. After further reading I notice that the display on my dashboard only show the 3.3kw charging time, meaning that the dealer stiffed me! I met with the dealer this morning and they are looking into this. This was the second most important option for me after the Quick Charging capability.

I don't know what the dealer there can do, but I presume the car is still under warranty. You could take it in and tell them to fix it. It seems like the problem should be in their hands.

Back