Speedometer Recalibration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxo

I replaced my 2014 SV 16 alloys with the stock 17 SL alloys and stock size Michelin Energy Savers. My question is how do I recalibrate the speedo? I know the Audio off, map, map, map, audio pwr, audio pwr, map way to get into that menu but the only speed calibration I see there is apparently just a plus or minus percentage option. I clicked on recalibrate and it did seem to update something but will it know, sitting at a standstill, that I have 17s now from past driving? Can someone clue me in on how to do this correctly or let me know if it's been done already by the click I did? Thanks!

16s were 205/55/16 and the 17s are 215/50/17 which is +2.4% - so do I reduce or add that to the calibration?

Just set it to minus 2.4% - without measuring anything, seems back to where it should be. I'll have to try my Garmin and see how it compares. For anyone else looking for where you set it, it's under the Navigation option, once you are in with the Audio Off, Map, Map, Map, Audio Pwr, Audio Pwr, Map. Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I had seen part of that thread when searching for info before I started this thread.

I'm really only concerned about speedo readings, though I realize they are probably connected to the odo readings as well. Just judging from the seat of my pants driving home with the larger Michelins installed it seemed that the speedo was saying I was going way faster than I was, either that or the Michelins are that much better. I am going to try to take my GPS in the car soon to see how the speedo compares to the speed the GPS says I'm driving.

Larger diameter tires would have the effect of the speedometer reading lower than your actual speed; because for each revolution of the tire, you travel farther. The speedo and the odo go from the revolutions - and they are linked.

That makes it more accurate to use the odometer to determine the accuracy. Reading two displays at once is less precise than driving a longer distance and doing the math. If the GPS says you are traveling father than the odometer, then the tires are oversize. I suspect, though that now you are getting very close to the actual distance and speed, because I think the Leaf is calibrated to the 17" stock wheels; and not the 16" units.

There is another thread here somewhere that discusses the speedometer error on the LEAF.

A quick summary from that thread was that the factory16 inch wheel/tire combination causes the speedometer to read high. Mine is 4% high as measured by my Garmin. The factory 17 inch wheel/tire combination is pretty much right on. I don't know what the odometer error might be with either combination.

This isn't bad. One of the several reasons that I sold a VW GTI was that with the factory wheels and tires the odometer was pretty much perfect, but the speedometer was way off. At 100km/h as measured by the Garmin, the digital display for the speed control read 107 km/h and the speedometer needle was exactly on 109 km/h. The service department manager at the dealership just shrugged and said "That's normal. The law says we can be as much as 14% out."

I plan on getting a 17 inch wheel/tire set for the summer and mounting 205/60 16 snow tires on the stock rims for the winter. This is one size taller than the stock size and has a circumference very close to that of the stock 17 inch wheel/tire combination.

We have a street here with a 25 mile limit and lots of speeders. In an effort to curb speeding they put in a "your speed" sign. With my stock 17 inch SL tires if I set the cruse control to 25 MPH then when I pass the sign it reads 25 MPH. I do not know the error, if any of a speed sign. I was always under the impression that the Leaf speed was optimistic.

Back