weird shutdown behavior from my 2014 Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2014 SL just starting exhibiting this odd shutdown behavior starting last week. I'm curious if anyone here has experienced this and if there is a "fix" before I bring it to the dealer?

First, a normal shutdown should result in the dash displaying the charging time like this (note the headlights stay on as well):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTuoHRZaU6M[/youtube]

But this started happening, where the entire car shutsdown when I press the power button (including the headlights), followed by a steady beep tone a few seconds later. Also when I restart the car, the display seems to reset the 12/24hr clock pref (i have it set to 12 hour, but it resets to 24hr)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEJk_6mTvLg[/youtube]

It doesn't happen all the time consistently, but it happened again this morning:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmQCoZA0jqY[/youtube]

Any idea what's going on?

oops sorry. I changed it so the video privacy so it should appear now.

If the 12V battery really is dead, wouldn't the car not start? I've only had the car since the end of March (8 months new, ~9000mi) so it would be surprising if the 12V battery is at end of life that quickly. I'll get it checked out, though.

funkadelic said:
oops sorry. I changed it so the video privacy so it should appear now.

If the 12V battery really is dead, wouldn't the car not start? I've only had the car since the end of March (8 months new, ~9000mi) so it would be surprising if the 12V battery is at end of life that quickly. I'll get it checked out, though.

2013 & some 2014's came with bad batteries, lots written on this here in this forum.

Take the battery to auto zone & have it checked.

thanks, will get the 12V battery checked.

hope that's the issue and not something else since it's such a pain to deal with an intermittent issue with the dealership (already had to do that with a bad head unit which ultimately got replaced, but that took 3 trips to the dealer)

I too would think that a bad 12v battery would make the car not start since there's more required of it during boot up than of shutdown. But you never know...

If it's not the 12V battery, I would suggest the dealer troubleshoot the "Body Control Module" which handles switching 12v for the various accessories. It looks like it's switching off power to *everything* instead of just a few devices (which switch off after locking, like the headlights).

Ends up it was a loose nut on the negative 12V terminal.

My wife took it to the store over the weekend and she called me when she was ready to head back home -- the car wouldn't start and was completely dead. She got a ride home and we came back later with my 12V jumper pack and tried to jump start the car but no dice. I though maybe the jumper pack was acting up so we hooked up jumper cables to her SUV and tried again with the Leaf, but still nothing --- the car was totally dead and no dome lights or anything would come on.

Called AAA and I was ready to have them flatbed it back to my house (although I was wondering how, if even possible, could I get the car into neutral if it was entirely dead and not responding to a jump start), but the AAA guy started poking around and he noticed the nut on the negative terminal was super loose because it sparked when he touched it --- tada! Nissan should have Loctite'd the bolt or something. Once that was tightened securely the car started up fine.

arrow shows the nut I'm referring to
leaf_zpsa5868ced.jpg

Back