Pre-Climate Control has a mind of its own

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipcecil

Last Friday I had a run-in with my pre-climate control (i.e. warming/cooling down the car before driving). I made a trip to my in-laws right after work. I knew I was pushing the range so I plugged-in in their garage, which I had done plenty of times. My wife had left her Volt level 1 unit at their house from earlier that day so I just used it since it was already plugged in and unwrapped. I have used her SPX Level 1 before with no problems and just plugged in and went inside.

Randomly throughout the time there I was checking the car to make sure than range would be enough to get home (I knew I only need an hour or so, but I am always paranoid so I check anyways to make sure stuff is going ok and a breaker hasn't tripped). The range was going up slowly - too slow for a Level 1. After ~2-3 hours I had only gained a mile. I was concerned even though the car said it was plugged in and charging. I went into the garage to check and found the remote CC had been turned on and had been warming the car up for hours (which was using almost all the power coming from the Level 1 unit).

This was odd because:
- I hadn't turned on CC via the app - it showed CC off now matter how many times I refreshed, my wife hadn't touched it either
- I have never used a CC timer in my life and the app didn't show one was activated either
- Nissan has said the CC will turn off after 15 minutes if unplugged and 1 hour if plugged in. This had been running for 2-3 hours. When I think back, this isn't the first time my car has run its CC over the hour mark (which is kindof unnerving)
- I had to disable the CC by power cycling the car, it would not turn off via the app or just pushing the CC buttons inside the car

Can anyone guess what went wrong? Why did my CC turn on all by itself? I only noticed it when we were near leaving, so we had to stay another hour+ to get home (with slow driving and no CC driving home). Could the Volt's SPX EVSE cause the CC to come on? I have used it before and never had an issue. What about the 2-3 hour pre-heating run-time? Why did it not turn off? I have not had issues since then (that I know of) of ghost remote climate control on the car.

Back