gear shift knob light out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srandon

My new 2015 Leaf SL's gear shift knob light stopped working. Brought it to the dealership and they ordered a new knob but then told me there is no light inside of the knob. They asked me if I was sure it lit up in the first place..like Im crazy. Is there a part number or special light I can point out to the service department that lights up the shift knob?
I was the lucky one that bought the first leaf from them so they dont know anything.
Thanks

I'm unaware of a shift knob light. There isn't any on mine.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15000&hilit=shifter+light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only lighting I'm aware of is of the legend towards the back of the car, which is orange when the headlights are on, along w/the the LED that indicates which positions is selected. And, there's also the tiny overhead white LED.

Maybe Nissan will publish a TSB on this, if it hasn't already.

Unless this is a new-for-2015 feature, as cwerdna said the blue insert does not light up. A few folks here have made their own mods to do so.

Interesting picture here:

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/features/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be indicative of a LED light, but could also be refracted light from elsewhere. The one thing that leads me to believe it's not refracted light is the fact that I've pulled the shifter apart, and the entire translucent piece (in the 2011 shifter at least) backed up by grey/silver plastic.

If there is a LED in there, it's not exactly what I would have hoped for. But then, it's also not what we saw them try in the autonomous LEAF I mentioned in the LED shifter thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14069&p=338929&hilit=Led+shift+autonomous#p338929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 201
The only light on my shifter is from the overhead panel. I thought that was a little odd when I first got my leaf but it it sufficient.

ok, must be light refracted from overhead..but I cant seem to figure out where its located. Can someone take a look when its dark and let me know where this light is located?
Thanks

I dont remember the color of the light...I only had the vehicle 3 days and I noticed I couldnt see the gear shift knob at night like I previously did..

My 2015's shifter does not illuminate. I've seen 3 threads on this site showing people modifying their shifters to add LEDs, but it's not something that comes from the factory.

The white LED light that shines down on the shift knob is in a slot/slit right in the center of the overhead light buttons. Turn on the parking lights or headlights and it comes on.

billg said:
The white LED light that shines down on the shift knob is in a slot/slit right in the center of the overhead light buttons. Turn on the parking lights or headlights and it comes on.

Are they white now? The little LED in my 2012 is a fairly deep orange. Not much refraction through blue plastic when you start with orange light.

kubel said:
srandon said:
They asked me if I was sure it lit up in the first place..like Im crazy.

You're crazy. :lol:

It looks like it lights up, but it's just light refracting from other sources.

haha...I am crazy! I need to replace that little light..

Nubo said:
billg said:

Are they white now? The little LED in my 2012 is a fairly deep orange. Not much refraction through blue plastic when you start with orange light.
Yes. The always on ceiling LED shining down is white on '13 Leafs.

IIRC, RonDawg told me the whole interior light assembly on my '13 Leaf looks totally different from his '12, so it's possible the color of the light changed too.

cwerdna said:
Nubo said:
billg said:

Yes. The always on ceiling LED shining down is white on '13 Leafs.

IIRC, RonDawg told me the whole interior light assembly on my '13 Leaf looks totally different from his '12, so it's possible the color of the light changed too.

Yes, on the 2011/2012 models, the map lights are conventional incandescent, with a relatively large translucent lens that also functions as the on-off switch. Later models like yours use a tiny LED with a separate switch. And yes the light that shines on the console of the pre-13's is amber.

Srandon,

I have driven our 2015 Leaf for 3 weeks. Last night, I experienced the same situation with the shift knob. There is a blue cover on the front of the knob. It was clearly visible before last night. I had assumed it was illuminated with a bulb from the inside. Same as you, I assumed there was a malfunction and contacted the dealership via email. They responded with the same answer that it was not illuminated. It was nice glancing down and finding the shift knob via the blue tint on the front of the know. I will see if I can find the LED being referenced in other posts.

srandon said:
My new 2015 Leaf SL's gear shift knob light stopped working. Brought it to the dealership and they ordered a new knob but then told me there is no light inside of the knob. They asked me if I was sure it lit up in the first place..like Im crazy. Is there a part number or special light I can point out to the service department that lights up the shift knob?
I was the lucky one that bought the first leaf from them so they dont know anything.
Thanks

this has probably already been answered but there is no light on the shifter. there is an LED spot on the ceiling that shines onto the knob.

Ok. I have put the lights in the Park Position so that light is coming from the little split above. I have also turned on both overhead lights. None of these lights put out enough intensity on the shift knob to come close to the brightness in the knob in the first couple of weeks.

Last night, I took a friend home. I had previously given him a test ride a week ago. He also notice the difference in the knob.

There is simply no comparison now with the brightness of the knob the first couple of weeks. Actually, I thought it was a really good idea to look down in the dark and see the brightly lit knob.

Maybe there is another brightness switch that I have adjusted but the three overhead lights are having virtually no affect on the shift knob.

ugamba77 said:
Ok. I have put the lights in the Park Position so that light is coming from the little split above. I have also turned on both overhead lights. None of these lights put out enough intensity on the shift knob to come close to the brightness in the knob in the first couple of weeks.

Last night, I took a friend home. I had previously given him a test ride a week ago. He also notice the difference in the knob.

There is simply no comparison now with the brightness of the knob the first couple of weeks. Actually, I thought it was a really good idea to look down in the dark and see the brightly lit knob.

Maybe there is another brightness switch that I have adjusted but the three overhead lights are having virtually no affect on the shift knob.

Interesting. I've been driving our 2015 for a couple of weeks now and haven't noticed any unusual emanations.

Maybe there was some type of protective plastic film that has since been removed? I did find one of those on the overhead cabin light.

Or maybe you got the Tritium package :eek: :p

If you're crazy, then you're in good company. My blue light went out last night. It was quite distracting driving home and trying to figure out how to get it turned on again!

I came here to get an answer, which I did (of sorts), but it's not one I'm willing to accept yet. I still believe there's an LED in the shifter that has gone out.

Carolyn (too new to have a signature with stats)

srandon said:
kubel said:
srandon said:
They asked me if I was sure it lit up in the first place..like Im crazy.

You're crazy. :lol:

It looks like it lights up, but it's just light refracting from other sources.

haha...I am crazy! I need to replace that little light..

Back