"SD Unlock NG" message - used car purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlas182

I just picked up a used 2011 Leaf yesterday. The salesman said their policy is to remove the map SD card until the car is sold so that it isn't taken out by any potential drivers. After I purchased it, he reinserted the card, but I get the SD Unlock NG message and I don't have access to any of the functions. The manual says that if the card is removed, to reinsert the card, place the power switch in the off position, and then switch it back on. Does anyone know what the manual is talking about? I don't know of any actual switches with on/off positions, just power buttons.

Is it possible that I got the wrong card or something or is there a secret switch somewhere that I don't know of. I really appreciate the help.

atlas182 said:
Is it possible that I got the wrong card ...
Yes.
The SD Map card is specific to the vehicle.
If they have several used LEAFs for sell they may have gotten them mixed up.

Even if you order updated maps SD card they have to have the vehicle information to configure the card properly so it will work with the vehicle.

atlas182 said:
So if it was the right card, it should have recognized it the next time I powered the car up?
Seems like it should.
I think I removed mine once when the car was less than a year old while the car was Off and reinstalled and still functioned when I turned the car On.
But that was 2 1/2 years ago so not 100% certain of that.

The thread on SD card replacements indicates a new card goes through a two minute setup.
After that instructs to power off, and then works normally after that.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9344&hilit=SD+maps+card+update&start=60#p306659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Replacement 2014 version is $179.

So I found the correct SD card in the trunk. Is there any way to determine whether the card I have is the upgraded map card? The dealership already ordered an upgraded new card for me, and I want to cancel the order if the card if I already have the update.

atlas182 said:
So I found the correct SD card in the trunk. Is there any way to determine whether the card I have is the upgraded map card? The dealership already ordered an upgraded new card for me, and I want to cancel the order if the card if I already have the update.
Menu Physical Button, On Right, Second from top
Select Info Burton on screen
Select Navigation Version on screen, bottom right on 2011 LEAF

This gives Map Version, Program Version, Unit Code, Serial number, and Confirmation code

But since the maps SD card is configured with hardware information from the vehicle, I am doubtful the dealer can cancel the order.

Back