Groundhog in my LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

I was walking outside to my car for work this morning and startled an obese groundhog (or some other large rodent) that was feasting on something in my backyard. He clumsily scurried off and subsequently climbed into a gap in the undercarriage panels on the bottom of my LEAF. I popped the hood to try to scare him out, but now I don't see him or hear him.

I'm thinking of the fried cat scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I ended up driving to work and then left the hood popped open in the parking lot. Not sure what else to do.

It didn't need the hood open to get in, so won't need it to get out.

I'd take it in to a dealer. The bottom should be sealed up.

But can't wait to hear the story, if it's still in there.

Good luck.

There appear to be gaps near the half-shafts leading to the wheels. He wasn't the only critter that got in there. When I popped the hood I noticed something had chewed away at the insulation on the bottom of the hood too.

Rats like to climb in and chew on stuff or collect nesting material. I had one that hid in there for a time keeping itself warm near the inverter while it was charging. The ungrateful and unwanted tenant also chewed through the washer fluid lines (for a drink?)
I hope it poisoned itself but probably just got an upset stomach.

Your marmot/groundhog certainly beats my pack rat!
14964897993_13680f4af8_c.jpg

Scale: the trap mesh is ½ inch by one inch; this is a little one. Note the long furry tail.

The critter got into the car and rode it into the garage, where it chewed up the garage door gasket in an unsuccessful attempt to get out. Much as I'd like to park outside at night in summer to take advantage of the very cool temperatures, my car got colonized by lots (and lots) of deer mice and it took me a lot of time to trap them all out. Just not worth the hassle to park outside at night. At least the chipmunks leave my car alone during the day.

Back