SKS Range Decreased even with new battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2k1Toaster

My friend's 2011 Leaf has had its smart key range decrease from "cup holder range" to holding it right up to the start button. He replaced the fob battery already. Any ideas? Is there something else that would effect an open-air range for the SKS system? The 12v should still be pretty good, but it hasn't been tested. Pretty temperate climate compared to Colorado.

Tell your friend to try another fresh battery. Unfortunately, a few percent of the miniature disc batteries in any lot are DOA. I have been nailed by dead "new" batteries more than once.

If that doesn't fix it, there's a different problem, one that may not be easily solved. There are enough smarts on this forum that someone may have encountered and solved it already.

The Leaf comes with 2 keys. How well is the other one working? With fresh, good batteries in both of them, that will tell you whether the problem is with the key or with the receiver in the car.

Based on my experience with a 2009 Altima Intelligent Key, the Intelligent Key has probably went bad.
I let the battery get real low in the Altima Intelligent Key, and waited too long to replace the battery.
I've put in several new batteries and carefully cleaned the contacts, and the Intelligent Key just does not work well.
Not sure why the Intelligent Key can go bad and not perform well, but that is what I experienced with the Altima Intelligent Key.

Had similar problems with a garage door opener receiver.
Some component on the board has failed, and the sensitivity of the receiver is now horrible.
Works, but only with the opener almost directly in contact with the receiver antenna.

Back