HomeLink won't work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

The HomeLink unit on my 13 SL has never worked.

The programing link will flash a slow red, but never go to the fast red flash before it shuts down.

The garage door opener will program all of my remotes and they work fine.

Anyone had this issue?

This Nissan Frontier forum thread may be helpful, page 2.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f9/homelink-mirror-garage-door-programming-77311/
I have a Chamberlain opener with Security+ that is about 10-12 years old. When I programmed the button on the mirror, I had to do both methods in the manual to get it to take, following the directions exactly. I believe I had to use the Canadian method, IIRC. It's not an easy thing, compared with 1 button simple on my Prius. I even had to replace the battery in my 'old button remote', which had been sitting on a shelf since 2007, to teach the car, and then I still had to teach the opener from the car. Even after it signaled success, it seems like I have to hold the button a long time to operate the door.

Have you tried going to http://www.homelink.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and clicking the link to program an opener? Following that link gets you to menus to select the vehicle and opener and should give you some hints to help with programming. I remember that I had to repeated press the button on my original opener remote to get a signal long enough for the Homelink unit in my 2011 LEAF to learn it. After that, it was straightforward to get the LEAF Homelink unit paired with both of my openers.

Gerry

My garage door openers that came with the units you push the button and let go immediately just like pressing an elevator button or the button on a touch tone phone.

My homelink mirror I have to hold the button while it runs through dozens of codes. It might get the right code in a second or two or I might have to hold the button down for 10 seconds while it tries a ton of codes.

I had my homelink programmed correctly for several days but didn't realize that and kept tapping it quickly assuming it would open the door from a short single press. I was frustrated for several days until I learned how to do it. I'm not sure if I read it or if I just lucked into the right technique with frustration/trial and error.

I hope that helps someone else that may have the same thought process from reprogramming the unit repeatedly and wondering why it won't work.

I finally got it to work.

Before taking it to the dealer, I went to my sons house to see if it would program to his garage door. It did on about the 4th try, which told me the problem wasn't in the car.

I then went home and used my hand held wife's remote, (it's different than mine,) and it took the program right away.

So far so good!!

Thank's for the suggestions.

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 49
good news is you wont have to reprogram it again until you replace the 12v battery, with any luck that will be several years from now.

dhanson865 said:
good news is you wont have to reprogram it again until you replace the 12v battery, with any luck that will be several years from now.
Not if they do it correctly by keeping the 12 volt hot while they change out the battery. Even if the 12 volt battery goes completely feet up, I imagine the program will remain stored for a while..yes?

greengate said:
dhanson865 said:
Not if they do it correctly by keeping the 12 volt hot while they change out the battery. Even if the 12 volt battery goes completely feet up, I imagine the program will remain stored for a while..yes?

depends on who the "they" is and whether the battery dies and the car won't start before you tow it or replace the battery on the spot.

Often people don't change the 12v out proactively and service people tend to think "hey, all they'll have to do is reset their radio stations, who cares if they have to do that".

In fact when I change my own battery I just reset the radio, driver side window, and homelink instead of bothering to hook up a second 12v source.

Back