My AC Broke again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

2 nights ago I noticed the defrost wasn't clearing off the windshield very well. Yesterday after work I come to my car after the sun was kind of out, and the car was hot, and the ac just blew hot muggy air. The AC has been working wonderfully all summer. I just had this fixed last year. They said it was the high pressure compressor discharge hose. I looked at it when I picked up the car (I asked them to show me the replaced parts) and it didn't look broke to me, but the ac blew cold so I just drove away. Now it's broken again, and I am wondering if it was something else all along. I inspected the hose, and I don't see any ac lubricant anywhere there. Most likely they will just try to change that hose again. Something in me really doubts that hose was ever bad. Maybe it was just a slow leak in the system and it just ran out and started working when they serviced the ac after changing the hose. I'm taking it in for warranty service today. I hope they find out the real problem. Any ideas?

turns out the last time the dealer changed the hose, they put in the same old type. Apparently there is a service bulletin that changed the design of the hose. I'm getting the new hose this time.

johnrhansen said:
turns out the last time the dealer changed the hose, they put in the same old type. Apparently there is a service bulletin that changed the design of the hose. I'm getting the new hose this time.

There's a joke about getting hosed somewhere in there ;) :lol:

Is this the TSB you are talking about?

NTB14-045a

2013-2014 NISSAN LEAF®; A/C NOT COOLING
  • There is not any cold air coming from the air conditioning (A/C) System.
  • There is evidence of a refrigerant leak at the A/C Joint between the Condenser and A/C
    pipes/hoses.
  • The leak is due to a small crack at the “end form” of the A/C pipe.

I've had so much trouble with AC leaks in my previous vehicles, I'm really paranoid about this one.

must be. I see refrigerant oil down by the condenser and they did change the high pressure line.Twice. But it works good now. They must have fixed it. Time will tell.

How much?

As a users group, we should really be collating repair costs that we experience. Yeah, under warranty... So ask for a copy of the bill of work charged back to Nissan.

They gave me a bill. All charges were zero. They don't have to tell us what they charged Nissan, that is none of my business. I don't think I have a right to ask. I do know it cost me 2 hours. and 2 days use of my car. Twice.

I think we do have that right. As a car owner, you should be told what parts are replaced. It stands to reason that an owner should be told how much any part costs that they have any concern about, and also what the workshop hours are to replace that part.

It would also be absurd if you ask how much a workshop charges, and they refuse to tell you!

I would agree that if they had complications, or it turned out much simpler than forecast, and actually charged more or less hours, then they need not reveal those details.

Knowing what parts were replaced, the cost of those parts, and the due workshop hours to replace them, are all things that an owner has a right to know from a garage that has done the work.

I guess if you are not the owner but are only a 'keeper' or 'user' of the vehicle, through leasing or renting a car, and you are not held responsible for any repairs under the contract, then that logic would not necessarily follow.

These posts are old but I'm wondering if this is still a problem for others. I have a 2013 S model and had the condenser replaced two years ago and still had to take it back twice before they finally got it working. Now, in the middle of summer, the AC went out again and I've had to take it back three times. It's still in the shop so time will tell if they finally fix it. All they seem to be doing is replacing coolant which then drains out in a week or so.

Back