Dreaded Vampire Drain Returns

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voganni

Well, the ongoing vampire drain issue with my 2013 Leaf S returned, 3 months after the dealer did a software upgrade and replaced the battery, (12v) which tested fine, as I knew it would. I had purchased a nice clamp-on DC ammeter and had left the car in drain mode (by not disconnecting the battery, which will reset it). I was able to show the service manager the near-1amp drain. He was quite concerned, and baffled. Incidentally, the drain also shows up in the wires going into the master brake cylinder/servo unit. I still believe the problem is in the brake unit, possibly the super-capacitors.

I left a message with the service manager (he didn't answer his phone) informing him that the issue had returned. I have to admit he was very concerned and called me twice after the visit to Spokane. He admitted when I picked up the car that he didn't have an answer to my problem.

I reset the computer yesterday by disconnecting the battery for a few hours. At this point, I have less than a year on my lease and I'll just live with the problem till then. Then start looking for a nice used Volt! Goodbye Leaf, too much range anxiety, and I've been stuck within a 40 mile radius of my home for the duration. Unfortunately, charging infrastructure has remained non-existent in my area and looks to remain that way for the foreseeable future. The Leaf experience has been fun (mostly) and educational, but time to move on. I wish I had a solution to report about the Vampire Drain as I know other Leaf owners are having similar problems.

voganni said:
At this point, I have less than a year on my lease and I'll just live with the problem till then.

Parasitic draw issues that cannot be resolved with repeated repair attempts will qualify your car as a lemon in most states. If the car is under warranty and they are unable to repair the vehicle after repeated attempts, you should press the issue and get a buy back. If you are still under warranty, there's no reason to live with the problem.

Same car here, and same story. Happened again this morning, that's about 6 times in 2 years.

Last time, the guy at the dealer "reset the computer" and it was fine for 8000 miles, until today. He said there was no way that I could reset it at home.

The main thing is the time wasted towing the car and for no good reason. I will try disconnecting the battery for a couple hours and see what happens. I also have measured a varying drain around 1amp using a calibrated Fluke probe with 10mA resolution.

Was not successful tracing the drain to any of the fused circuits.

When you say disconnect the battery I hope you mean the 12 volt battery. Last time I opened the main battery disconnect covers (2) and there was nothing there. Just an empty box.

Next stop, lemon law ?

It's amazing that Nissan has not found and fixed this problem yet.

To my knowledge, this problem does/did not exist in any MY2011 and MY2012 LEAFs.

Back