Car moves while I am pressing on the brake.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daryler

I bought a 2015 Nissan leaf s two weeks ago and have noticed an issue when I am starting the car. From what I have figured out is that when I crank the car, if I remove the emergency brake while it is "cranking" (or booting up) up, the brake light stays on. Then while still having my foot on the brake pedal, I put the car into reverse, it starts to move backwards. I have to pump the brake for the car to stop. After I pump the brake, that is when the brake light on the dash goes off also.

I have had this done to me a dozen times now. I guess I am not patient in waiting for the car to boot up before releasing the emergency brake.

Is this a known issue? I am taking it back to the dealer next week for them to look at.

Thanks

Can you post pictures of what you're seeing and a little more details? do you have anything in the passengers seat by chance? I've not seen this behavior in my 2015

The car takes less than 2 seconds to boot up so don't think I've ever been ready to put it in gear before it was done. But in any case the foot brake should hold it stopped, regardless.

What you describe sounds like you are putting it in neutral. I've done it a few times, on both the Leaf and the Prius. On a simpler car you can start it and if it is already in gear like a manual, be reversing away before the radio starts playing. Modern cars take time to show animations of the maker logo on the dash, play soothing sounds and all sorts of other crap, but that takes time. Most new cars with features like that take 1-2 seconds before they are ready to be moved.

In the Leaf and Prius if you try to change its "gear" (doesn't actually exist) when it is not ready, it goes into neutral. The regen brakes are disengaged so you are only held by friction brakes and they are nowhere near as normal feeling as the regen once you get used to it. I generally get in, press the button to go, then buckle up and by the time my hand shifts, the car has booted 99% of the time. This is different than before I got in and buckled, then started and went. It gives the car some extra time, but doesn't make you lose any time.

Its not that I am putting it in gear that fast, its just that I am releasing the emergency brake while it starts. I can see on the dashboard that the car thinks the Brake is still on after it starts. If I released the brake pedal after starting, the BRAKE light goes out and their is no issue. However, I am usually still holding down the brake from the start when I go to put it in reverse. This is when it starts going backwards.

I can take a picture of the dash at the time this happens. I do think it show two caution lights (red and orange) while this is happening.

Its in reverse not neutral. All I have to do is pump the brake to get the car to stop and then release again to have the car go in reverse. Either way, I would like to have the car not move when my foot is on the brake. It just starts moving when I am not ready.

Sounds to me like the brake is being pushed, then the E-brake released which backs off the brake pads and so too the pressure. Putting it into reverse may let it roll backwards if insufficient brake pressure remains. Is this on level ground?
I've not experienced this but my wife said something about it a couple weeks ago. I hold substantial pressure on the brake pedal when starting up. If I don't it won't always go into "ready" mode.

I'm going to try this when next I can drive the Leaf (wife has it mostly).

This has happened to me starting up the '12, when I'm shifting into drive. Very unsettling. Firm pressure on the brake pedal prevents it for me. Hasn't happened in the '15 yet, but now I always use firm pressure on the brake pedal starting up, so may never happen.

Yes, on level ground. I think the key to getting this to happen is releasing the emergency brake while it is starting. If I start the car and wait a few seconds and then release the emergency brake, this does not happen.

daryler said:
Yes, on level ground. I think the key to getting this to happen is releasing the emergency brake while it is starting. If I start the car and wait a few seconds and then release the emergency brake, this does not happen.

The obvious solution, since this is on level ground, is to stop using the emergency brake. I know that sounds flippant, but I've had the car for 6 weeks and have never used the emergency brake. I don't even know where it is! Why do you use it?

NasGoreList said:
sounds like brake booster vacuum leak...
There is no vacuum in the brake system in the LEAF. Boost is done using an electric pump which runs off the 12V electrical system. Perhaps the battery has a problem...

2k1Toaster said:
What you describe sounds like you are putting it in neutral. I've done it a few times, on both the Leaf and the Prius. On a simpler car you can start it and if it is already in gear like a manual, be reversing away before the radio starts playing. Modern cars take time to show animations of the maker logo on the dash, play soothing sounds and all sorts of other crap, but that takes time.

I think there is actually some important stuff going on, like self-checks and pre-charging of capacitors... :)

billg said:
The obvious solution, since this is on level ground, is to stop using the emergency brake. I know that sounds flippant, but I've had the car for 6 weeks and have never used the emergency brake. I don't even know where it is! Why do you use it?
OK, I found my emergency brake and I think I followed your routine. My car did not start moving when I put it in reverse and maintained light pressure on the brake pedal after releasing the emergency brake.

I believe you have a problem that should be addressed by the dealer.

Wanted to give everyone an update on my issue. Before I could take it to the dealer, I arrived at work last Wednesday and parked it with 80% charge. When I tried to start the car at lunch, it gave me an error on the computer screen "T/M System Malfunction Visit Dealer" The car would not start or allow me to put it in neutral. Called Nissan Roadside Assistance. They towed it to the dealer. Apparently the 12v battery was bad. They replaced the battery and now I don't have an issue anymore. The car does not do all the things I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

The thing I found surprising is that I have only had the car two and half weeks and the battery is already dead. I asked if me having the GPS plugged into the Cigarette lighter along with an Ipod plugged into the USB port would have caused it. They said no, just one of those things were I had a bad battery. Glad it was under warranty.

Wonder why the Lithium Ion Battery can't provide power to the 12v battery to at least let me put the car into neutral or drive it to the dealership? I have read other post where people had to have the car towed due to a dead 12v battery.

My '14 had a bad battery at 7 weeks. One of the cells had 0 volts. I think there is a rash of bad batteries from the factory. The dealer replaced it with an 84 month battery. We'll see how long it lasts.

daryler said:
...Wonder why the Lithium Ion Battery can't provide power to the 12v battery to at least let me put the car into neutral or drive it to the dealership? I have read other post where people had to have the car towed due to a dead 12v battery.
The traction battery is disconnected while the car is off to protect it. The 12 V system is used to close the contacts to put the traction battery in service. The LEAF can be jumped with another car to start it in the case of 12 V battery failure, and it should drive normally until turned off again; there are several threads on the subject of jumping.

daryler said:
Apparently the 12v battery was bad.
As predicted.

I'm convinced that the 12V battery is the first thing to check on the LEAF when there are braking issues, particularly if codes are being thrown. In this case, it was likely just a bad battery, but the poor 12V charging algorithm in the LEAF conspires with the extreme sensitivity of the braking system to 12V-system voltage to make this a potentially severe issue as these batteries age. I suppose things are O.K. as long as a cell does not fail shorted...

Back