AC Energy Usage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSELeaf

Lately I've noticed a strange behavior on the Energy Info screen when the climate control is running shortly after I just start the car when it is hot inside the car. I always run the AC set to 60F manually with recirculation on with the lowest fan setting. Here's how it goes:

1. Turn car on with AC and begin driving. Energy Info shows usage around .8-1.5kW.
2. After a few minutes, the usage quickly spikes to anywhere between 1.6-3kW for 1-2 seconds before going to 0. During this whole time the air is still coming out the vents nice and cool.
3. After 2-3 seconds at a usage of 0, the Energy Info comes back to between 300-600W.

Question is, should I worry about this? Other than the info screen, everything else works fine. I do get this weird whirring noise in the AC at speeds below 20MPH when the interior is toasty, but it goes away after the first couple of minutes, so I'm just assuming its just the compressor getting up to speed.

I call normal.
I believe it is a variable speed compressor so power will fluctuate.

BTW the display is computer generated. You are not reading direct from a shunt.

Back