Leaf does not go into drive after accident

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterm

so my Leaf got rear ended. (see post here; http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17596)

One interesting thing is that when I was rear ended the turn signals came on automatically. Nice touch.

No matter what we do though, the car won't go into drive. I can power it up and if I move the knob, it goes into P and N. But no R or D. Ideas? Some type of safety feature that disables the drive train in accidents?

It's at the shop and I'll see if I can get info on what's, but maybe someone here has insight.

Thanks
peter

2-3 High Voltage Circuit Shut-Off System:

Positioned in the center area of the Li-ion battery, this shuts off output high
voltage when manually removed.

Controlled by the power switch, this relay, which is controlled by the 12V
system, shuts off the high voltage from the Li-ion battery.

In the case of a collision (front and side collisions in which the air bags are
deployed, certain rear collisions) or certain system malfunctions this system
may shut off the high voltage from the Li-ion battery.

Could be either way. If the car detects damage to the high voltage system it will not let the car go into drive. It could be minor and it was playing it safe or it could be a major damage. Its really a safety thing.

My guess is that it just needs to be reset. I don't know if this can be done outside of a dealer...

peterm said:
Thanks Tom. So this is a relatively easy fix? Reset it or the like? Or could it mean it's damaged and has to be replaced? == $$$ ?

peterm said:
It's heading to the dealer, I'll let everyone know what happens. Also going to ask them what caused it, what they had to do, cost, etc.
I definately would have them work with the insurance adjuster on cost to repair as this is not your typical Chevy (potential battery pack damage, etc.).

Spoke with the service adviser. She said that the car is running now. Asked her what they did and they said the charge was low and they charged it up. Mentioned that it wouldn't go into drive after the accident and she said they probably reset something but was not specific. Cost was $147. There are a 'couple other codes' but that should go away when they 'fix the sensors in the back'.

Wondering if I can peek at the Service Order. They are down the street from me so I think I will try.

Why would this not be covered under the warranty?

peterm said:
Spoke with the service adviser. She said that the car is running now. Asked her what they did and they said the charge was low and they charged it up. Mentioned that it wouldn't go into drive after the accident and she said they probably reset something but was not specific. Cost was $147. There are a 'couple other codes' but that should go away when they 'fix the sensors in the back'.

Wondering if I can peek at the Service Order. They are down the street from me so I think I will try.

Back