bad heater in 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

The resistance heater in my 2012 LEAF quit working. It took my dealer a while to find out the problem. They managed to get the needed part, the last one in the warehouse. I went by today and saw that they had to remove everything above the motor and gearbox to get to the heater. It was a new experience for them. It is covered by the warranty.

This was a fairly common problem on the 2011 and 2012 models. Maybe 5 or 10% reported it. I had it happen on our 2012 LEAF.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11107&hilit=2012+heater+failure#p255351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2013 this problem was solved but a different, similar problem popped up that apparently was resolved by that fall.

cgaydos said:
In 2013 this problem was solved but a different, similar problem popped up that apparently was resolved by that fall.
But this "Insufficient Heater Output" TSB includes the 2014s... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were 3 parts that were replaced in my 2012 Leaf:

• PTC Heater Lin Communication
  • PTC Heater Connector
  • HVAC Lin Communication

If these are all recall items should I demand they be changed on my leaf even though they said nothing was wrong?

What was wrong on the heater? It just quit working period? I have not used it in really cold weather yet so we will see how it does.

roperld said:

• PTC Heater Connector
  • HVAC Lin Communication

kieranmullen said:
If these are all recall items should I demand they be changed on my leaf even though they said nothing was wrong?

What was wrong on the heater? It just quit working period? I have not used it in really cold weather yet so we will see how it does.

roperld said:

• PTC Heater Connector
  • HVAC Lin Communication

These aren't recall items. A certain percentage - a small minority - did fail in the 2011 and 2012 LEAFs, usually in the first or second winter. The heating coil simply stops functioning. If you look at the energy screen you'll see no energy being used by the climate control despite it being on and the temperature low enough to engage the heater.

in addition, recall items are usually related to safety issues. I am guessing a non-working heater isn't. Mostly, its brake problems, airbags, seatbelts, etc.

Pipcecil said:
in addition, recall items are usually related to safety issues. I am guessing a non-working heater isn't. Mostly, its brake problems, airbags, seatbelts, etc.

Hmm.. wouldn't a functioning heater be required to defrost? I'd consider that a safety issue. But we digress :)

So if they arent going to tell us to watch certain things where can we find a list of certain items to watch on certain cars? There should be an online database for all cars on this. Thanks!

Pipcecil said:

There is a database (I am sorry I can't remember off the top of my head) that has all the bulletins a repairs "recalls" for the various makes and models of cars. The car company is only required to tell you if NHTSA tells them to (for safety). All other recalls are at the discretion of the car company (they may decide to do official recalls and such for various reasons).

A prime example - my wife's volt had leaking battery coolant (battery coolant radiator had a hole) - service high voltage charging system warning (from low coolant), the car won't charge because the battery coolant is too low/leaking - again apparently this isn't a safety issue even though it defeats the purpose of the car. There is a bulletin for the repairs - GM has identified the problem, put out an internal bulletin that all volts get a free battery coolant check (air check for leaks) and repairs done if under the 60k warranty for free. This was never passed out to consumers, and the bulletin even listed that it would not be given to consumers, but dealerships should do the check (and repairs) on the vehicles next maintenance when brought in or when a customer brings in the car with this error.

Sadly, not all dealerships are nice. We took it to one dealership whom not only charged us for the coolant check (air pressure) but wanted us to pay the $1500 to repair the battery coolant radiator. Luckily we got a bad vibe from them and decided to take it to a different dealership and on the way to the second one, I was poking around and found the recall/bulletin site and found this exact bulletin. The other dealership was trying to scam us. Luckily my wife's volt adviser was able to get our money back from the previous dealership (they still charged us to do the coolant air pressure test on the car - which should have been free). Second dealership did everything for free under warranty. Awesome!

If you come up with that website please post it. Otherwise I will just google it. I called Nissan and they woman I spoke with on the phone told me that she could not comment on other peoples cars! I told her I was not asked about other peoples cars just service bulletings. She insisted that she never near of airbag lights flashing... Just a bunch of nonsense.

Pipcecil said:
There is a database (I am sorry I can't remember off the top of my head) that has all the bulletins a repairs "recalls" for the various makes and models of cars. The car company is only required to tell you if NHTSA tells them to (for safety). All other recalls are at the discretion of the car company (they may decide to do official recalls and such for various reasons).

A prime example - my wife's volt had leaking battery coolant (battery coolant radiator had a hole) - service high voltage charging system warning (from low coolant), the car won't charge because the battery coolant is too low/leaking - again apparently this isn't a safety issue even though it defeats the purpose of the car. There is a bulletin for the repairs - GM has identified the problem, put out an internal bulletin that all volts get a free battery coolant check (air check for leaks) and repairs done if under the 60k warranty for free. This was never passed out to consumers, and the bulletin even listed that it would not be given to consumers, but dealerships should do the check (and repairs) on the vehicles next maintenance when brought in or when a customer brings in the car with this error.

Sadly, not all dealerships are nice. We took it to one dealership whom not only charged us for the coolant check (air pressure) but wanted us to pay the $1500 to repair the battery coolant radiator. Luckily we got a bad vibe from them and decided to take it to a different dealership and on the way to the second one, I was poking around and found the recall/bulletin site and found this exact bulletin. The other dealership was trying to scam us. Luckily my wife's volt adviser was able to get our money back from the previous dealership (they still charged us to do the coolant air pressure test on the car - which should have been free). Second dealership did everything for free under warranty. Awesome!

Back