Leaf maintenance?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

125mph

How often do I bring it to the dealer for maintenance? I read every 6 months they do a tire rotate and once a year is the real maintenance? So I can just go to my favorite ship for the tire rotate and the dealer for the real maintenance?

I have a 2014 SV btw.

If you rotate the tires at the suggested interval, once a year is all that's needed for dealer service - for the battery check. Change the cabin air filter at whatever interval you think it needs it.

It really depends what you want to do on maintenance.

- dealership recommended (cost the most and they will probably do things that are not needed
- factory recommended severe (less cost, but for high mileage leafs)
- factory recommended less severe (even less cost but for lower mileage)
- whatever you want to do (cheapest, but you run a greater risk of things going wrong).

As a grandson of a mechanic and my dad did all car repairs himself, I have a decent perspective on car maintenance. Dealership recommended is awful - never do that. Doing your own thing is a risk adventure, so it really depends on how you want to gamble, this car is probably lower risk compared to an ICE so you can probably easily get away with only doing some of the maintenance on the vehicle (or doing them at a later date). I tend to lean to the factory recommended. Mostly, because I put a lot of miles on my car. But I have a less risk of things breaking down.

For Severe:

Every 7,500 or 6 months (fyi mileage is WAY more important than time, unless you are putting on very little miles, I would just go by the miles)
Rotate tires
Inspect all this:
Axle & Suspension
Brake pads & rotors
Drive shaft boots
front suspension ball joints
steering gear and linkage
steering linkage ball joints

If you take the less severe, you only need to rotate tires (no checks needed)

At 15,000 (12 months or every other maintenance):
Replace brake fluid
replace in-cabin filter
rotate tires
Inspect all this:
Axle & Suspension
Brake lines and cables
Brake pads & rotors
charging port
Drive shaft boots
EV battery usage report (MUST be done at the year mark and every year mark - not dependent on mileage)
front suspension ball joints
reduction gear oil
steering gear and linkage
steering linkage ball joints

Less severe does not include the brake fluid and only inspects Brake lines and cables, Brake pads & rotors, charging port, Drive shaft boots, EV battery usage, reduction gear oil.

These repeat, except for at 30,000 (two years) the less severe does the severe maintenance schedule.

Many people have delayed the in-cabin filter and the brake fluid replacement without issues. But it depends - if you are in a bad air quality or dusty area, you may want to replace you cabin filter either on time or only delay it a little bit. In addition, if you use your physical brakes alot (lots of city driving, less regen available for braking due to temps or high SoC, lower capacity battery, or just a hard core driver) you probably need to replace the fluid sooner rather than later.

All of these items can be found in the maintenance guide. Really it boils down to: rotating tires (every 6 months or longer), replace cabin filter (every year or longer), replace brake fluid (every 1-2 years or longer), and Battery inspection (every year regardless). And then a bunch of checks with can be superfluous, depending on how you view it (most dealerships do that stuff for free when you take it in for any work).

31,000 miles: No maintenance (unless you count tires, washer fluid, and free battery checks).

Bring it in yearly for the battery test. The dealership will also do a quick inspection for free- mainly to find things that they can fix. Whatever they find that isn't covered by the warranty or isn't EV-specific, take to a reputable mechanic and save 50% or more. Keep the washer fluid topped off as needed. Keep the battery filled (this is often neglected, even by the dealer- check it annually). Every 3 years or so, change the brake fluid. Every 5 years, change the coolant. Rotate your tires every 7500 miles. You can do this for free at places like Discount Tire, or just do it in your driveway.

bbrowncods said:
When rotating tires is it straight front to back, or criss-cross front to back?

For FWD, move the front tires back on the same side and the rear tires forward to opposite sides.

Front tires get moved this way: l l

Rear tires get moved this way: X

Soviet said:
bbrowncods said:

For FWD, move the front tires back on the same side and the rear tires forward to opposite sides.

Got it! Thanks!

Soviet said:
bbrowncods said:

I noticed in the Owners Manual they show only swapping front & rear on the same side (personally disagree with Nissan on this guidance). Haven't seen this since the early 1980's when broken belts were common. Should always cross the rear to the front on FWD.

smkettner said:
On a three year lease you should have ZERO maintenance cost.
Just the two free annual battery checks, then turn it in.

Well, I own, so it's a bit different, but I may have the dubious record of the highest fee resulting from the first annual maintenance.

$408. Removing our high tax (15%) and taking into account the exchange rate, it works out to 323 USD + tax.

Basically, they told me the brakes were rusting and needed to be sanded down and polished, accounting for 2/3 of the cost. I questioned how this could be possible after only one year and they thought the car was garaged, accelerating the rusting process during the Winter. However, my parking space is outside.

They then theorized that I wasn't driving enough to clear the brake dust off the rotors. 9,200 miles, though only 1,000 or so over the last four months.

The consensus seems to be that this was probably unnecessary, but the type of work garages like to recommend in order to increase profits. I suspected as much, but accepted in order to make the car as clean as possible for its next owner. If the LEAF weren't for sale, I would have declined the extra work.

Back