User from spain. Charging failure. Batery temp high?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avp

Hello. Today in Madrid is very hot, 35 C (95 F) and this afternoon when I was charging in a quick charge instalation, suddenly the charger was to black. I started in 38% and finished at 51%. After a few seconds the charger restarted but when I wanted to charge again the message in the screen of the charger was "vehicle failure. Error code E14". In the dashboard a yellow car with an exclamation symbol worried me. But the car worked perfectly. When I arrived home and use the trickle charger, it didn't work at all. None of the blue lights turn on. I disconnected the 12V batery and reconnected it and it worked perfectly. Anybody has have the same problem? Or similar?
Does anybody know if batery temperature (aprox 35 (95 F) when started charging and 38,5 (101,3 F) at the end could be the problem? Is it too high? Is there a refrigeration system in the LEAF ( I heard it is not).
Thank you for your answers. Regards.

The quick charger failed (overheated), setting a code in a leaf that allows driving but not charging (for battery protection). When you tried both the qc again and the trickle charger the code was still set so it wouldn't allow charge. Once you disconnected the 12v it cleared the code and you could once again charge.

The leaf has several "limp" modes including: warning only, allow driving but don't allow charge, allow driving but forbid restart, and (I think) power down HV now.

JeremyW said:
The quick charger failed (overheated), setting a code in a leaf that allows driving but not charging (for battery protection). When you tried both the qc again and the trickle charger the code was still set so it wouldn't allow charge. Once you disconnected the 12v it cleared the code and you could once again charge.

The leaf has several "limp" modes including: warning only, allow driving but don't allow charge, allow driving but forbid restart, and (I think) power down HV now.

Thank you for your answers. What I can't understand easily is why NISSAN has designed the system in that way. The charger set a error code the car even when the failure takes place in the charger, so, it makes no sense, in my opinion. And more "no sense" is the fact that the error code in the car is permanent!!! You have to disconnect the battery and reset the car to "clean" the error and therefore to charge again the car. Otherwise you have to go to the dealer service!!!
On the other hand, the overheating problem in DCQCs seems to be a problem here in Spain during the summer because exterior temps could be easily over 100 F and most of them are exterior mounted in no shaded areas (directed exposed to solar radiation). The temp in the metal box could be easily over 65 degrees C, (150 F)

The LeafSpy Pro (an Android app) is very helpful in cases like this.
Not only does it display the 4 (or 3 in later year models) Battery Pack
internal temperatures, it allows examining the DTC (Diagnostic
Troble Codes).

Note: It also can be used to Reset groups of DTCs, without
having to disconnect the 12v battery. But, do that with caution,
since some codes would be needed by the Nissan Service folks.

garygid said:
The LeafSpy Pro (an Android app) is very helpful in cases like this.
Not only does it display the 4 (or 3 in later year models) Battery Pack
internal temperatures, it allows examining the DTC (Diagnostic
Troble Codes).

Note: It also can be used to Reset groups of DTCs, without
having to disconnect the 12v battery. But, do that with caution,
since some codes would be needed by the Nissan Service folks.

Thanks. Yes, I knew the temp in the pack through the LEAF Spy App. Once I read your post, I checked the DTCs and here they are. I dont understand these codes. Can anybody helo me to know what they mean?
ver
[/url]

[/img]

From an engineering perspective, it is an incredibly poor design. That and the open-to-the-elements fans and air exhaust.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
A lot of Nissan/Sumitomo QCs overheating here too lately. They have filtered air intakes at ground level that need regular cleaning for good cooling air flow.

TomT said:
From an engineering perspective, it is an incredibly poor design. That and the open-to-the-elements fans and air exhaust.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
A lot of Nissan/Sumitomo QCs overheating here too lately. They have filtered air intakes at ground level that need regular cleaning for good cooling air flow.

I couldn't agree more - the one at my local Nissan dealership apparently has two airflow paths. The intake from the larger (lower) blocks access to the intake of the second (higher) to the point that the dealer had to use a toothbrush to clean the 'crud' off the intake - apparently no good way to remove the filter for cleaning without taking much of the EVSE apart.

But the car going into a non-recoverable error state for something that, clearly, was recoverable seems like poor design as well. Seems to imply that if a DC charger fails for some reason and there is another available, you may not be able to use it and thus could be left stranded due to failure that is not the car... hmmm... Perhaps I should carry tools necessary to disconnect the 12v battery and make that a basic troubleshooting step?

The link of the image doent run properly, so here they are:
U1000 0008 BCM CAN Comm Circuit
b2193 0008 BCM Chain of BCM-ECM SEC-62
B2195 0008 BCM Anti-Scanning SEC-63
B2562 0008 BCM Low Voltage BCS-69
B29C1 2408 CHARGER EVSE VC-98
B29C1 9408 CHARGER EVSE VC-98
U100B 8708 CHARGER Quick Charger Comm VC-49
P189D 0008 SHIFT
P18AB 0008 SHIFT

avp said:
The link of the image doent run properly, so here they are:
U1000 0008 BCM CAN Comm Circuit
b2193 0008 BCM Chain of BCM-ECM SEC-62
B2195 0008 BCM Anti-Scanning SEC-63
B2562 0008 BCM Low Voltage BCS-69
B29C1 2408 CHARGER EVSE VC-98
B29C1 9408 CHARGER EVSE VC-98
U100B 8708 CHARGER Quick Charger Comm VC-49
P189D 0008 SHIFT
P18AB 0008 SHIFT

I did not take time to look all of these codes up in the service manual, but most of them are related to the loss of 12V from disconnecting the battery. The one that caused the lack of charging is the U100B 8708 Quick Charger Comm VC-49 which indicates a loss of communication between the LEAF and the quick charger. Since the car directs the QC unit to deliver the desired voltage and current, the loss of communication could result in overcharging so the car locks out charging to protect itself. I had a Blink QC unit lose communication with my LEAF and got that same DTC. In my case, I used LEAF Spy Pro to clear the DTC and used the other port on the Blink to successfully charge my car.

Gerry

Back