Loud fan (?) noise in 2013 S model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow1

OK, new car here (about 3 weeks old) and I wonder if this noise is 'normal' or a problem.

What I am hearing is a rather loud metal on metal sound that sounds like a fan with something stuck in it. I only hear this when the car is still and I have the A/C system on. It goes away when turning off the hvac. I don't notice it when driving.

Anyone have a clue on this? It doesn't always happen and I'm still trying to figure out when it does/does not so that I can demonsrtate it to my dealer (ha, you know it won't do it when I get there eh?).

Any suggestions appreciated.

I had a similar sound when my car was new; embarrassed to say that I took it in, and it turned out to be some packing material (plastic wrap when the car is delivered) that was stuck in the HVAC fan. I didn't see it when I looked under the hood but maybe you can find it? Good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked about but couldn't find anything. Will have to lift the hood next time I hear it and see if i can narrow down the source of the sound more...

O wow, I noticed the sound recently when I was standing in front of the car while the AC was on too. OMG, would hate to find some plastic in there. Where do I look for this at? Where is the fan you speak of, is it big/small? Not the one in the front of the car is it?
@Slow1:
Did you figure out what it was?

Well either it hasn't been happening the same when away from home, or the sound is somehow magnified by my garage because while I can hear it at the dealer when charging and A/C is on, I have to get out of the car and then it doesn't seem nearly as loud.

I tried to figure out where it came from but haven't really other than somewhere on the passenger side, and seems to be like over the wheel well (but under the hood of course).

Back