Door Skin Part Number (Passenger-Rear)? 821523NF0A?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2k1Toaster

So my car has been in the shop for over 3 weeks waiting on a door skin. Body shop can't locate one within the state or region. Insurance company refuses to pay the extra $400 to get a shell vs. a skin. So it looks like my car will be in the shop indefinitely until it is sorted.

So I am calling my insurance company trying to get someone to pay the difference. Body shop is doing the same. In the mean time I am trying to find out what the actual part number is and see if I can find one myself.

I am looking for the rear passenger door skin for a 2013 Leaf. I think it is part number 821523NF0A but I'm not sure because all the pictures seem to show the rear passenger door even on the left side.

2k1Toaster said:
So my car has been in the shop for over 3 weeks waiting on a door skin. Body shop can't locate one within the state or region. Insurance company refuses to pay the extra $400 to get a shell vs. a skin. So it looks like my car will be in the shop indefinitely until it is sorted.

So I am calling my insurance company trying to get someone to pay the difference. Body shop is doing the same. In the mean time I am trying to find out what the actual part number is and see if I can find one myself.

I am looking for the rear passenger door skin for a 2013 Leaf. I think it is part number 821523NF0A but I'm not sure because all the pictures seem to show the rear passenger door even on the left side.

So this probably doesn't apply because my repair was done on a 2011 LEAF door. My understanding is that 2011-2012 LEAFs have aluminum door skins but 2013-2014s, built in Tennessee not Japan, use an alloy. However, when my 2011 LEAF right rear door was repaired the part number for the skin was H21523NAMA.

Now, having said that I should add this little bit. The body shop in question had never applied aluminum door skins before so after several attempts gave up and, in conjunction with State Farm, ordered the full shell. The manager told me that since aluminum door skins are becoming more common, such as in Fords, that they ordered some special equipment and signed up for some courses in applying aluminum door skins.

cgaydos said:
So this probably doesn't apply because my repair was done on a 2011 LEAF door. My understanding is that 2011-2012 LEAFs have aluminum door skins but 2013-2014s, built in Tennessee not Japan, use an alloy. However, when my 2011 LEAF right rear door was repaired the part number for the skin was H21523NAMA.

Now, having said that I should add this little bit. The body shop in question had never applied aluminum door skins before so after several attempts gave up and, in conjunction with State Farm, ordered the full shell. The manager told me that since aluminum door skins are becoming more common, such as in Fords, that they ordered some special equipment and signed up for some courses in applying aluminum door skins.

Thanks for the part number.

The shop I go to does lots of Leafs but also German cars which are no strangers to aluminum skins. I am hoping that they just buy the shell...

Are they paying for a rental all this time? Never thought about a situation like this being a reason to consider having the rental reimbursement coverage.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Are they paying for a rental all this time? Never thought about a situation like this being a reason to consider having the rental reimbursement coverage.

They are not paying for a rental or the cost difference in filling with petrol instead of sunshine. I have enough vehicles, I only rent UHauls in town for super big things.

I am pretty pi$$ed that the car is out of service for over a month because Nissan can't keep a door in stock.

2k1Toaster said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

They are not paying for a rental or the cost difference in filling with petrol instead of sunshine. I have enough vehicles, I only rent UHauls in town for super big things.

I am pretty pi$$ed that the car is out of service for over a month because Nissan can't keep a door in stock.

3+ weeks in the shop, and you don't even want a rental? You are way too nice ;) I would call the Nissan LEAF hotline, and at least ask for reimbursement for the gasoline you were forced to use (would have done that with a rental as well), many people have done this.

lion said:
2k1Toaster said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

3+ weeks in the shop, and you don't even want a rental? You are way too nice ;) I would call the Nissan LEAF hotline, and at least ask for reimbursement for the gasoline you were forced to use (would have done that with a rental as well), many people have done this.

Didn't realize that the Leaf hotline was an option. Admittedly I am getting better gas mileage than almost everyone else, generally hovering in the 50's to 60's mpg so I am not sure if the hassle is worth it. But I may give it a try. Of course I could drive my 8mpg-12mpg DeLorean for some fun time too :)

The insurance company did send me an email saying they approved the cost to "overnight" the door skin from the port to the shop once it arrives August 4th (if it does actually arrive). I can't imagine this is economical. I know even with my company's heavily discounted air freight costs, an oversized aluminum door skin cannot be less than a couple hundred bucks to fly on a plane for next day morning delivery.

Anyways, I am still unhappy with the process and am trying to claw my way up the chain of idiots at the insurance company.

Farmers first asked the dealers shop to try to do a weld where the aluminum had split on the left rear door skin. When that didn't work, they approved the replacement skin and the process took about an extra week. 2012 Leaf

Well the car is still in the shop.

I escalated to the regional manager of my insurance company, no dice. So I filed a complaint with the BBB. Within 4 hours, I got an email. I was then able to locate a door skin. I first tried calling Tennessee dealers around the plant, hoping they would have an in, but none were useful. Then I went where Leafs are plenty in the bay area. Found a dealer on this website listed as Leaf friendly with a parts department in the bay area, called them up and they had 2 just sitting there. They packaged it in a wooden crate yesterday and it is being overnight air freighted to Colorado and delivered to the shop today.

I really hate having to call supervisors, send emails, yell on the phone, but really this is ridiculous. I guess in the states, the squeaky wheel gets oiled. What a shame it is not just moral responsibility.

I got a lot of "Oh I feel for you" or "I understand your frustrations" and all that BS. Always followed with a "but there is nothing we can do here but wait". Obviously there was something that could be done if you complain loud enough. I hope to get my car back within a week or so. It still has to welded on, assuming it survives shipping a couple thousand in the air miles since it is air freight from California to Memphis, Tennessee and back to Colorado with freight truck transfers from shop to FedEx to airport, then plane to plane, and plane to FedEx hub to FedEx delivery truck within a half day... I should know in a few hours if it survived. Then painted and slow baked and all that jazz.

All because someone left a parking lot space without knowing how to drive.

Back