Charge Timer Override button problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaestroBen

Hi everyone,

We just purchased a 2011 Leaf from the big blue used car superstore. We love it, except for one problem which nobody seems to be able to fix (and which I haven't seen discussed online, either in this forum or elsewhere).

The Charger Timer Override button (or Immediate Chargebutton, if you wish) doesn't seem to work. When you push it after you turn off the car, as specified in the manual, or before turning off the car (just tried on a whim), absolutely nothing happens. Nothing illuminates on the button. Nothing changes with the "charging timer: on" display on the dash, nothing happens with any of the charge indicator lights, and the vehicle doesn't charge of you plug it in.

The car is currently back at the dealer, but they've admitted they have no idea about anything on this car and will send it to a Nissan dealer for inspection/repair.

I'm mostly worried because this dealer has a 5-day return policy, which expires for us tomorrow evening, and the Nissan dealer is "pretty busy" and might not get to the car until after that.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Are we doing something stupid (wouldn't be the 1st time)? Does this sound like something that might be indicative of a major issue that would suggest we might want to return the car (hope not, 'cause we love it other than this)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

I wonder if its just the button itself that is bad. If you turn off the charge timer does it charge correctly? I assume it must or you wouldn't be driving it much at all.

I hope you are able to figure it before the 5 day limit.

How many miles are on it? How many battery life bars does the car have? Have you used leafspy on it?

I also bought a used one and have been loving it :D

A work around alternative: Set the charge timer start and end time to the same time. Then, any time the charge plug is inserted the car will begin charging immediately.

Just in case... you have to open the charging door before you push the off button. Open the charging door. Th car beeps. push the off button then the middle blue charging indicator light comes on steady.

Thanks Travis,

I'm hoping it's just the button that's bad, but that seems like such a weird thing to malfunction.

About 30k miles. Charges fine when the timer isn't on, or when it's within the timer's operating hours. Has all of the battery life bars when charged to 100%. We've already determined that 80% should be plenty for our 'normal' days. Just discovered Leaf Spy, and unfortunately only have apple mobile devices, so it doesn't look like I can use it now.

Thanks for responding. Any other thoughts, anyone? There aren't any tricks to getting that button to work, are there? Does the dot matrix screen on the dash change when that button activates?

Ben

John,

I think that you might have found the issue. The folks at the dealership are trying that now.

Best,
Ben

Update,

John's suggestion didn't work. I wonder if that's a difference between the 2011 and 2013, as my manual says nothing about opening the charge port.

I've figured out workarounds. But, I'd like this button to work as advertised, since the dealer is selling this as a car that works "like-new."

So, they'll ship it down the road to the Nissan dealer, who hopefully will have an answer soon.

Thanks, everyone,
Ben

The 2011 is different. The charge override button should activate any time the car is off. Most likely a problem with the switch or wiring.

MaestroBen said:
Update,

John's suggestion didn't work. I wonder if that's a difference between the 2011 and 2013, as my manual says nothing about opening the charge port.

Thanks, everyone,
Ben

Not on a 2011. However, sometimes you do need to press the button twice.

johnrhansen said:
Just in case... you have to open the charging door before you push the off button. Open the charging door. Th car beeps. push the off button then the middle blue charging indicator light comes on steady.

91040 said:
The 2011 is different. The charge override button should activate any time the car is off. Most likely a problem with the switch or wiring.

MaestroBen said:
Update,

Thanks, everyone,
Ben
The 2013 works that way as well, you can press that button anytime (I use it every day). I agree that this is probably a switch/wiring issue.

I was mistaken. I tried my car, and as long as it is off, pushing the off button makes that center blue light come on and enables charging even if the door is not opened first!

:mrgreen: 2011 SL, I use this switch every day after I turn off the Leaf, the middle blue indicator light goes on steady and 1 beep will sound.then I open the charge port hatch.

*** Note*** That when the Leaf is FULLY charged the blue indicator light will NOT go on sometimes but you will still get the 1 Beep. And other times will FULLY charged you are able to turn on and off the BLUE steady light but with no Beeps.

Check for a bad switch or a fuse if it has one. BTW both timers on my leaf are off.

Fred

Wennfred said:
:mrgreen: 2011 SL, I use this switch every day after I turn off the Leaf, the middle blue indicator light goes on steady and 1 beep will sound.then I open the charge port hatch.

*** Note*** That when the Leaf is FULLY charged the blue indicator light will NOT go on sometimes but you will still get the 1 Beep. And other times will FULLY charged you are able to turn on and off the BLUE steady light but with no Beeps.

Check for a bad switch or a fuse if it has one. BTW both timers on my leaf are off.

Fred

If your charging timer is off, there is no need to push the off button.

MaestroBen said:
Update,

I've figured out workarounds. But, I'd like this button to work as advertised, since the dealer is selling this as a car that works "like-new."

So, they'll ship it down the road to the Nissan dealer, who hopefully will have an answer soon.

Thanks, everyone,
Ben

I guess he didn't buy the car.

Hoping that my experience will help others. I am going to provide a complete overview of the "Charge Timer"...which is NO WHERE documented completely by Nissan:
1. Assume we have a timer that starts at 2a and ends at 5a.
2a. If you plug in before 2a or after 5a, the car WILL NOT CHARGE until it hits 2a.
2b. If you WANT to charge before 2a then you must plug in to a "Ready to Charge" 110 or 220 or 440 charger. Here are some examples of a charger NOT ready:
- A pay station where you haven't scanned your card or fob (i.e. you haven't paid or setup payment).
- A 110 trickle charge where you are on too small a circuit (the Ready light may be flashing)
- Any charger that is not plugged into the wall
3b. When the charger is ready to charge, THEN AND ONLY THEN press the Charge Timer Off button. The car should charge and then the next day go back to the regular schedule.

If the above solves your problem...Woohoo! If not, read on to my specific troubles and maybe it can help you figure it out:
- I ran my Leaf 100% out of power and it died literally within 20 feet of my garage.
- The trickle (110v) charger would not reach the Leaf.
- I pulled out a cheap (AWG 14) extension cord and plugged the trickle charger in.
- The "Ready" light flashed infinitely.
- I tried everything to turn on the charging, but the Leaf kept showing me "Charge Timer: On"
- After spending hours on the phone with Nissan, I finally got in touch with the Dealership and they were able to give me the correct advice: I moved to a AWG12 extension cord and a new outlet...
- AND THEN I pressed the Charge Timer Off button

The immediate solution to most of these timer problems - and I've had quite a few myself, even after I thought I understood the thing - is the Timer Off button. Trying to figure what went wrong (too small extension cord excepted) can be pretty frustrating.

Back