Dashboard display problem MY2012 [SOLVED]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirko

Twice today a majority of my dashboard display blanked out (see picture below). Not all of it, just most of it. The car was still drive-able, but the speedometer was blanked out. What I recall happening was...

* Started car, and dashboard display was fully on.
* Clicked buttons to reset trip odometer and average M/kWh.
* Display looked like picture below.
* Turned car off and back on again. The display was still mostly blank.
* Turned car off and back on again. The display was now fully on.
* Drove to work with the display working the whole way.
* Parked car backing into the parking spot.
* Put the car in park and the display once again blanked out like the picture below.
* Turned the car off and went to work.

Has anyone else had this happen? I searched and didn't see anything in the forum.

Edit: BTW, the red light is because my seatbelt was off when I took the picture.

Near the odometer reset button is a button that varies the display brightness, IIRR, not near car right now. Have you played with that? Otherwise, I've no clue, other than some faulty wire or connection that needs to be run down. That's a new one I think.

You can replicate some of the info on the nav screen, but looks like you'll be seeing your friendly LEAF tech soon.

Yes check the dash dimming function, my wife did that, thought she broke it, although I believe you can still see it with it turned all the way down as long as the headlights are off.

It was the instrument brightness control switch. Page 2-14 of the MY2012 owners manual.

With the headlights OFF the instrument brightness control switch will go from the dimmest to brightest setting in a loop for the instrument lights. The instrument lights NEVER go off.

With the headlights ON the instrument brightness control switch will go from OFF then the dimmest to brightest setting in a loop for the instrument lights.

Apparently I might want to drive around with my headlights on in the dark and not know how fast I'm going or how much charge I have left. Most of all I don't have to see those useless trees on my dash. :lol:

I had my headlights set to auto, and at home and work I was in a garage so they were on.

Thank you for pointing out the instrument brightness control switch!

mirko said:
It was the instrument brightness control switch. Page 2-14 of the MY2012 owners manual.

I had this exact problem too. Prior to research here, I had asked a Nissan dealer what the cost would be to diagnose the situation, and also if it was under the warranty. It would have been $136, but I could have gotten reimbursed if it was under warranty.

So I tried what I thought was the "instrument brightness control switch," which was right there in the general location, and which went from 0 to 3. :oops: I tried a couple of times and thought maybe the switch was broken, which would have been upsetting since it hadn't ever been used. There was no way I was going to pay $136 for a "diagnosis," but it was going to be tough living with darkness when the headlights were on. I figured I'd keep my eyes out for a replacement "switch" from a crashed LEAF.

Well, that little knob turns out to be the headlight aiming control, and of course as the owner's manual clearly points out, it is the little square button in the lower right of the four buttons there. I just would not call a button a "switch" as the manual does, and I wouldn't call a knob a "switch" either but it seemed a closer match.

So now I've got it set on 8 instead of 12, since it won't go to the darkened display setting of 1 with just one inadvertent bump. I think I've even extended my diminished range a bit????

And yes, it really does help to read the manual. :D Oh, and I also appreciate the help from others too. :D

Back