110v charge time increase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangnorthwest

I have about 18k on my Leaf and my 110v charge time has suddenly spiked from about 20-23 hours, empty to full charge, to over 30 hours! I have had very consistent 3-4 miles per hour trickle charge for the last 10 months but all of a sudden things have gone south. Any thoughts on this?

Do you have the opportunity to test from another location?
Perhaps your household voltage dropped from 125+ to 115ish for some reason. New construction on the street?

Doesn't seem to work at my office either.

I did notice that the charger has three blinking lights. In the manual this indicates a fault. I tried plugging into different outlets with no success.

Are the 3 blinking lights on the car, or on the EVSE?

If I'm reading the manual correctly, 3 blinking lights on the Nissan EVSE means:

When the temperature of the electrical plug is too hot, or the EVSE is unable to detect the temperature of the electrical plug, check that the electrical plug is connected correctly. If it is connected normally, stop use immediately and contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.

3 blinking lights on the car means the car thinks the connector is connected incorrectly.

Nubo said:

If I'm reading the manual correctly, 3 blinking lights on the Nissan EVSE means:

When the temperature of the electrical plug is too hot, or the EVSE is unable to detect the temperature of the electrical plug, check that the electrical plug is connected correctly. If it is connected normally, stop use immediately and contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.

3 blinking lights on the car means the car thinks the connector is connected incorrectly.
Any of the three scenarios indicates a fault condition and should be checked by the dealer.
Not too likely the 11OV EVSE plug is really too hot as it is also happening at work. But the temperature detection of the 2013 and later EVSE may have failed and is always indicating hot.
But in any case get it repaired ASAP.
Slow charging is what the system is doing to limit risk with the fault condition.

TimLee said:
Nubo said:

Any of the three scenarios indicates a fault condition and should be checked by the dealer.
Not too likely the 11OV EVSE plug is really too hot as it is also happening at work. But the temperature detection of the 2013 and later EVSE may have failed and is always indicating hot.
But in any case get it repaired ASAP.
Slow charging is what the system is doing to limit risk with the fault condition.

Slow charging does not avoid a fault nor is a feature of the EVSE or car charger for that issue, a fault will instantly stop charging.

Tangnorthwest said:
I have about 18k on my Leaf and my 110v charge time has suddenly spiked from about 20-23 hours, empty to full charge, to over 30 hours! I have had very consistent 3-4 miles per hour trickle charge for the last 10 months but all of a sudden things have gone south. Any thoughts on this?
Is this the display estimated time or are you actually charging for 30+ hours?

Friend at work said his LEAF seems to be taking longer to charge. Primarily uses L1 to charge and has maybe 22,000 miles.
I told him it does not sound right as it should charge faster as battery capacity decreases.
Maybe it is an actual issue.

I'm getting tired of trying to help people with their "weird problems", where I and others ask simple questions to try and clarify the issue, and never get a response. Some of these problems seem questionable to begin with and the evasiveness only adds to my suspicions.

So the issue turns out to be water in my 110v charge cord. It still allows the car to charge but at a very slow rate.

Service guy told me that the device is not rated for outdoor use? Seriously!!?? How am I suppose to charge the car?

Tangnorthwest said:
So the issue turns out to be water in my 110v charge cord. It still allows the car to charge but at a very slow rate.

Service guy told me that the device is not rated for outdoor use? Seriously!!?? How am I suppose to charge the car?

bs_meter.gif

My 2012 unit is labeled as a "Type 3 enclosure". It is designed for outdoor use. Unless there's been a change. In which case the device should be labeled "indoor use only" and/or the manual should indicate such. If that is not the case they should be replacing your unit under warranty.

Yes bullshit meter is going strong!

The manual states clearly that this is an IP44 enclosure which is outdoor rated plus the warranty covers the trickle charger.

Now after a few days of drying out it is working fine.

Back