Park button not always engaging park?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilRW

Has anyone else experienced this issue? You pull into a parking spot or a driveway or otherwise stop your Leaf. You quickly press the "P" button. The car does not go into park but instead remains in D/ECO. This happened to me this morning and it's probably the 2nd or 3rd time it's happened to me in the last year. Fortunately I was in a parking space so when I got out of the car it only rolled forward a little bit until the curb stopped my car.

Yes, I should look at the instrument cluster to see the "P." But wouldn't it be slightly better if the car provided me with positive audio feedback that it went into park as well? Like a confirmation beep or something? Or does this problem not happen to anyone else? All of my other cars had a more traditional shifter, which provided tactile feedback that it was in the gear I wanted it to be in. I don't mind the button push but if it isn't going to register "Park" 100% of the time that I push the "P" button, no matter how long or forcefully I push the button, isn't that a problem? This isn't a light tap either, I'm pushing the "P" button all the way until it stops. It's just that every once in a while it doesn't go into Park.

Thanks,
-Phil

every time I pushed the park button it worked, but I rarely press it. I just turn the power off and it goes into park automatically

PhilRW said:
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Yes, I should look at the instrument cluster to see the "P." But wouldn't it be slightly better if the car provided me with positive audio feedback that it went into park as well? Like a confirmation beep or something? Or does this problem not happen to anyone else? All of my other cars had a more traditional shifter, which provided tactile feedback that it was in the gear I wanted it to be in. I don't mind the button push but if it isn't going to register "Park" 100% of the time that I push the "P" button, no matter how long or forcefully I push the button, isn't that a problem? This isn't a light tap either, I'm pushing the "P" button all the way until it stops. It's just that every once in a while it doesn't go into Park.
Nope, never experienced this issue.

If you are pushing the button all the way to the bottom while fully stopped and it doesn't go to park (and there's no error beep or anything), then I'd take to the dealer. Hopefully they can fix it. If they can or cannot and in the absence of user error, I'd file a safety complaint at http://www.safercar.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, after the repair attempt is made.

FWIW, my Gen 2 Prius has a park button and it does not produce any sort of confirmation beep when pushing the park button. I'm 90% sure current gen (Gen 3) Priuses don't either.

If it doesn't automatically engage Park when you turn the car off, then there is definitely a problem. It is an electromechanical thing, so I suppose it could break.

why would you get out of the car without turning it off, without setting the parking brake, or at least making sure you put it in park?

That's not much different than thinking you unloaded a gun, pointed it at your head, and pulling the trigger. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't...

Phil, you should experiment. I just did and no matter how fast or lightly I hit the P button, it always went into park. You may have a bad switch, or you may need to slow down a tad, but the extra sound isn't going to happen. You should be able to hear and feel the parking prawl engage though.

if you are going very slowly, but not quite stopped, it will still go into park, and the car jerks to a stop. I'm sure that's not good for it. If you going over the threshold speed it beeps at you and goes into n.

I just experimented with reproducing the issue. I was able to reproduce it, but not 100% consistently. It takes a light and incredibly quick touch to the "P" button for it not to register (about 50% of the time in that case). I play piano, so that roughly equates to a note played staccato pianissimo. Anything more intense than a mezzo piano for the same duration and the car will go into Park. So I must have been giving it a quick and very light touch. I wonder if the button's sampling rate could be increased? I will make myself some kind of reminder to confirm "P" before exiting the car. Still, a quick beep or a better designed button wouldn't be a bad thing. As it is now, the Leaf only provides visual feedback as to its drive status. Good UI design would seem to indicate that when the physical interface is soft, there should be some sort of audiovisual confirmation mechanism for critical functions (that the user can also selectively disable).

Also, if you repeatedly shift from P to D to P to D... after a few minutes or so the car will complain (beep) at you and will rate limit your shifting. :) So the car's interface seems to indicate a bias towards assuming operational success instead of a providing a subconscious failsafe mechanism.

:lol: Play a heavy note. :D

My car meows when I pull in the driveway.

Just out of curiosity, why do you leave it on, to keep the heat running while you dash in and out of a place? I do that.

I often stop at the store to get beer and/or a newspaper, leaving my wife in the car. She appreciates my leaving the heat on, so I just press the Park button. If it had a hand brake like my Passat, I'd use it also, but I don't use the foot-operated parking brake.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
:lol: Play a heavy note. :D

My car meows when I pull in the driveway.

Just out of curiosity, why do you leave it on, to keep the heat running while you dash in and out of a place? I do that.

Thanks for asking! I have to get out of the car to open the garage door when I get home. I have to get out of the car when I get to work so my wife can drive herself to work after dropping me off. I have to get out of the car to place flares if I come across an accident. I also put it in park while I wait to pick up my wife from her work and I'm not done listening to the album or track. :) All of these situations do not strictly require the car to be "on," per se, but given the slow boot time of the car, I'd rather not have to wait just to press that OK button again.

I refuse to believe that turning the car off is the only solution to my apparently unique situation. But like any good research, if no one else can reproduce it, then it's all pointless anyway. Saying "turn it off" is akin to telling someone to reboot his PC when he wants to exit a program. I could play devil's advocate and argue that the car should not let us turn it off unless it's already in park.

Well, operating policy aside, turning the car off to put it in park is intended to demonstrate that the park actuation logic and the mechanical parts are still working. Once that's eliminated, that leaves the button and the dynamics of your playing it. I suggest changing the sheet music to legato, and in addition, if you are going to exit with the car on, then at least verify that it did go into Park: (1) There's a noise, and (2) there's an indication on the dash. (And 2-1/2: there's an indication on the console by the shifter.)

If you don't want to listen, and you don't want to look, and you don't want to change your playing style, and you don't want to set the parking brake, and you don't want to turn the car off...well...OK, but I'd suggest adding "don't want to complain" to the list.

davewill said:
Or do what almost everyone else does and just turn the car off and let it automatically go into Park.
Really? Almost everyone? I don't do that. Today was the 1st time I tried that on my Leaf.

I can do that same on my Prius but I almost never do that either.
johnrhansen said:
if you are going very slowly, but not quite stopped, it will still go into park, and the car jerks to a stop. I'm sure that's not good for it. If you going over the threshold speed it beeps at you and goes into n.
Yeah, I did this once by accident, while backing out. :oops: :shock: Wasn't a very good sound but luckily :?:, I was barely moving. I am now careful to make sure I am completely stopped before pressing park.

I've never pressed it at speed to result in latter case.

I refuse to believe that turning the car off is the only solution to my apparently unique situation.

It isn't. You can realize that you are parking a roughly 3000lb vehicle, and push the button firmly. Then glance at the dash to make sure it's in Park. With practice - much less practice than playing piano requires - you will be able to play your car.

In my field of work (aviation) there is lots to forget, and big consequences sometimes if you do. I've conditioned myself over the years to make mental checklists for everything. Like when you leave the house... wallet keys, phone. Actually its easier for me to remember when there are 3 things. So for instance when you leave your car drill into your head something like this. Park button, check display, release brake.

Back