Intermittent trouble connecting trickle charger cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvenner

We've been having intermittent but increasingly frequent problems charging our 13 SL Leaf using the trickle charger. When it happens, it's like there is a loose connection between the cord and the port - after insertion the three indicator lights flash and the beep sounds three time, which according to the manual indicates "the charge connector is connected incorrectly to the normal charge port." If you fiddle and wiggle the connector this can usually be bypassed.

The problem seems worse the colder the weather - we've had a number of below zero days this winter and we've had trouble on all of these days, but we've also started having troubles on slightly warmer days. Last night I had to plug in an infra-red heater in the garage and run it for two hours in order to get it to charge at all.

We've taken the vehicle in once, and the dealer did not find any problems.

Any advice on how to proceed? Do I need to bite the bullet and buy/install a 240V charger? Is there any way to demonstrate the problem to the dealer?

Thanks!

Any idea why were you unable to demonstrate the problem to the dealer? If the issue is between your trickle cable (EVSE) and the car, and is as prevalent as you say, it should have been possible to replicate it for them. Would they possibly be willing to lend you a different 120v EVSE to try for a few days?

If your release button does not spring back up firmly or seems loose you have likely dropped the handle and broke the internal mechanism in the handle rocker which causes the proximity switch to not work properly and the car thinks it is not connected, hence the lights on the dash. My guess is it was hit just right on the tip and you need a new cable. Easy to check against a working one, have the dealer warranty the cable.

Thanks for your help. A day after I wrote this the EVSE stopped working entirely, and it was no problem to demonstrate to the dealer that the EVSE was the problem. I obtained a new one under warranty and it's working with no problems, although we haven't had any really cold days to test it.

Just got my 2013 Leaf SL today. Got home and tried to plug in the 120V trickle charger and just as you reported the unit ready light came on but not the charging light and the three blue lights all kept blinking at me and beeping. Wish I'd found your excellent explanation before I spent an hour with the manual. I do plan on asking for a replacement and plan to get a home system, but because I really needed to get some charge in it, I kept finddling. Following up your clues about the loose lock unit due to damage, I discovered the lock button would not go all the way back up to lock the connector, and as soon as I lifted it manually, the charging started. I now have it pulled up with a wire through the little padlock hole attached to a small elastic cord stretched to the plug cover. Not very elegant but it's working so far. Thanks for the help..

Yup, the blue release button on the charger handle wouldnt pop back up and my car charging lights just kept blinking and beeping notifying me of a problem. Put a screw in the tag hole located on the button to keep the button up and now the car charges again fine. Had me worried. Phew.
Also, found some charging station handle dont click into car properly. Found the rubber washer inside the charging handle had fallen partly inside the plug, preventing a complete fit. Used a plastic knife and pried the washer out; charges again.

Back