Loud noise when charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomasz

So I've plugged it in and left the garage only to return few seconds later alarmed by a loud noise coming from under the hood. Here is how it sounded:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGhIuhII5c[/youtube]

Should I be very worried or just wait until it breaks completely?

That sounds abnormal. I've listened to my Leaf charging at 120 volts and 208 volts (pulling ~5.8 to 6.0 kW) and it's nowhere near that loud.

The pumps (and whatever else is making noise) are generally very quiet, even w/the hood raised.

Tomasz said:
So I've plugged it in and left the garage only to return few seconds later alarmed by a loud noise coming from under the hood. Here is how it sounded:

Should I be very worried or just wait until it breaks completely?

Mine, (2013 SL,) did the same thing 2 days ago.

I was at the dealer and picked up a QC, (my first one from 20 to 60% ,) and then I had them wash the car. It was about 22 degrees out.

When I got home, 15 minutes later, I plugged it into the 110 and I had the same sound for about 30 seconds and then the noise stopped. Haven't had it happen again,

I thought it may have come from something related to the car having been washed in the cold weather.

OP, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

greengate said:
When I got home, 15 minutes later, I plugged it into the 110 and I had the same sound for about 30 seconds and then the noise stopped. Haven't had it happen again,

I thought it may have come from something related to the car having been washed in the cold weather.

Mine wasn't washed and it wasn't even the coldest temperature in the garage it's already seen. I guess I need to wait and see if it's repeatable so I can demonstrate it to the dealer. I'm not sure the video will be enough to convince them it's broken.

cwerdna said:
That sounds abnormal. I've listened to my Leaf charging at 120 volts and 208 volts (pulling ~5.8 to 6.0 kW) and it's nowhere near that loud.

The pumps (and whatever else is making noise) are generally very quiet, even w/the hood raised.
Usually when it charges I can hear slight hum of fans and maybe pumps. This one is very loud, I've heard it through closed door in the living room above the garage. Now that I think about it I' almost sure I've heard it once before while driving, then it was brief enough that I atributed it to the road condition but here it was doing this for several minutes.

I encountered the same noise yesterday lower left front over the traction motor left side when starting L2 charge. It lasted about 5 minutes and went away, fan also came on at same time. Charged to 80% OK, no error codes or warning lights on dash when this occurred. Conditions were snowy however no moisture in motor area. I also had the same noise about 3 months ago with dry conditions. Sounds like a chattering relay. Phoned the dealer service dept. and was advised to monitor if/when happens again, they said its like chasing a ghost if problem is so intermittent. Wondering if it has re-occurred for you and any follow up through the service dept. on your end? 2013 SL 2600km

I've had that problem too when we had snow earlier this month. I unplugged the EVSE and restarted the session. Still had the noise, but it charged ok. Since I was taking it in for a heater replacement in a couple of days, I just ignored it and reported it to the dealer. They couldn't reproduce and I haven't heard it since.

ElectricEddy said:
Sounds like a chattering relay.

That'd be my guess. Sounds like a 60HZ (AC line frequency) buzz, so would seem to be happening upstream of the onboard charger.

It's not a relay, it's definitely a pump like sound. I have been able to reproduce it easily - it requires outside temperature to go below 10F, then it makes that sound always during charging and also I can hear it when driving slowly (again with temps below 10F). My guess would be that it's a heat pump.

Tomasz said:
It's not a relay, it's definitely a pump like sound. I have been able to reproduce it easily - it requires outside temperature to go below 10F, then it makes that sound always during charging and also I can hear it when driving slowly (again with temps below 10F). My guess would be that it's a heat pump.

It'll be interesting to find out. To me it sounds too much like 60Hz frequency, which manifests in electrical components using U.S. AC power -- at scales both subtle and dramatic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXiOQCRiSp0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13E3wXksA2M[/youtube]

The line frequency is a sine wave but it can cause other things to vibrate with more of a buzzy square wave, such as bouncing contacts or just a loose component responding to the magnetic field.

I may be biased since it's my car, but:

a) the noise is heard not only when car is plugged in and charging but also when it's driving
b) when the noise start you can hear ramp up in frequency (I give you that - I've never mentioned that before)

Other than that it sure sounds like fast switching relay, although to my ear it's more like a torque clutch in power tool.

Tomasz said:
a) the noise is heard not only when car is plugged in and charging but also when it's driving
b) when the noise start you can hear ramp up in frequency (I give you that - I've never mentioned that before)

That would seem to rule out line hum then.

One fairly safe way to try to pinpoint noise is to use a (wooden, nonconductive) yardstick like a stethescope. Hold the yardstick with your thumb on top, stick the tip of your thumb in your ear, and then position yourself so that the other end of the yardstick presses on the component you suspect of the noise. May sound silly but it works. After a few tries in the general area you may be able to able to narrow it down to a specific component.

Nubo said:
One fairly safe way to try to pinpoint noise is to use a (wooden, nonconductive) yardstick like a stethescope. Hold the yardstick with your thumb on top, stick the tip of your thumb in your ear, and then position yourself so that the other end of the yardstick presses on the component you suspect of the noise. May sound silly but it works. After a few tries in the general area you may be able to able to narrow it down to a specific component.
I know exactly where it comes from. It's the part that looks like starter/wipers motor and sticks out from the drivetrain there. The problem is to replicate that at the dealership. Seeing is believing. Now that I know it happens reliably when the temp is below 10F I will set up an appointment accordingly.

While I've not had your problem, if the noise is coming from a motor, could it be similar to the ICE starter staying engaged??

Woosie said:
While I've not had your problem, if the noise is coming from a motor, could it be similar to the ICE starter staying engaged??
It is partially similar to IC starter that has too little voltage to positively engage solenoid, just stronger. More like airless paint sprayer.

Re: Tomasz your del. date and s/n is close to mine . Bios Dudes last 4 #'s are also close ( curious as to the 2 #'s previous to 3770 are). Manufacture date on the door is 06/13. I still suspect a chattering relay whether its caused by undervoltage across the coil or high resistance in the contacts (possibly burnt - no noticeable smell). I have a 2012 service manual which I will investigate ( hopefully this area of the car hasn't changed much from 2012 to 2013). As I said last post it is the second time this has happened, first time temp about 15C (59F) low humidity, the second time -1C (30F) high humidity, so colder temp's not required to show fault. Temp's are on the rise now so we will see what happens and will keep in touch. Question; hows your range in the colder temp's, it seems when 2C (35F) or lower I lose about 25%.

ElectricEddy said:
Re: Tomasz your del. date and s/n is close to mine . Bios Dudes last 4 #'s are also close ( curious as to the 2 #'s previous to 3770 are). Manufacture date on the door is 06/13. I still suspect a chattering relay whether its caused by undervoltage across the coil or high resistance in the contacts (possibly burnt - no noticeable smell). I have a 2012 service manual which I will investigate ( hopefully this area of the car hasn't changed much from 2012 to 2013). As I said last post it is the second time this has happened, first time temp about 15C (59F) low humidity, the second time -1C (30F) high humidity, so colder temp's not required to show fault. Temp's are on the rise now so we will see what happens and will keep in touch. Question; hows your range in the colder temp's, it seems when 2C (35F) or lower I lose about 25%.

It's 403770. I just chopped it off. I've only noticed it after driving it in the snow when we had a cold snap. It was down in the low 20's. I can't comment on range at lower temps since my heater was out waiting for parts. I've definitely noticed an increase in miles/kwh after getting it fixed.

My 2013 has starting making similar humming noises during charging and while driving at low speed. Could be at higher and I just can't hear it.

Anyone gather any more information concerning this issue? Is it an issue?

Back