power window stops working when cold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmobob

So it's been kinda cold here in NY recently and my driver and passenger power windows don't seem to be coping well, they started getting slower over time but now that car is about 18 months old when the temp goes below 40F they have a hard time rolling back up. Any one run into this?
I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer in a few weeks to get this checked out hopefully the weather will let me replicate the issue.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTF55X4BfgQ[/youtube]

There is another thread on this subject here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm having the exact same issue. I was driving home from work at about 11pm the other night and I have to open my window to tap my RFID card to exit the parking lot, and while the window opened just fine, it would NOT close. After about 5 minutes I was able to help it shut. I'm going to take the car into the dealer ASAP.

HPJ said:
There is another thread on this subject here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I started that thread, and you will see at the bottom of page 3 that the regulator and glass runner of the passenger side window were replaced under warranty. Yes, the problem was worse in cold weather, though that window went up more slowly than the driver side window from the day I got the 2011 LEAF.

Ray

planet4ever said:
HPJ said:
I started that thread, and you will see at the bottom of page 3 that the regulator and glass runner of the passenger side window were replaced under warranty. Yes, the problem was worse in cold weather, though that window went up more slowly than the driver side window from the day I got the 2011 LEAF.

Ray

Thanks. I'll mention that fix it to the dealer if they try to fix it by just spraying it with silicone lubricant

Thankfully my 13SL has not had this problem yet. My LEAF is only 9 months old, maybe it'll have this issue next year? or maybe the 13 regulator is a newer design?

Just an update to my window issues. The driver's window DIED on Sunday. Completely stopped working. Thankfully it is closed! I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new window switch, part number 25401-3NAOB. They made it sound like the issue is just with the switch itself, but I have a feeling that they'll discover it's really something wrong with the motor that moves the window.

I took my car in, and the dealer sprayed silicone lubricant.
It worked fine during this last polar vortex. No more issues. :cool:

garsh said:
I took my car in, and the dealer sprayed silicone lubricant.
It worked fine during this last polar vortex. No more issues. :cool:

I took mines a few weeks ago to the dealer as well and they also sprayed silicone lubricant, I told the service dept that this is not really solving the underlying issue, the technician said yes it would. I then let it go after remembering I've made up my mind on not keeping the car after the lease is over.

Mine got slow, in the middle of closing. Got better and worse depending on the weather, then burned the switch.

Replaced switch on warranty, still slow. Put silicone spray. Works as new, common on all Nissans.

Goodtohave said:
Mine got slow, in the middle of closing. Got better and worse depending on the weather, then burned the switch.

Replaced switch on warranty, still slow. Put silicone spray. Works as new, common on all Nissans.

I took mines to the dealer also for the slow roll up window issue, they put silicone spray as well and all is good for now, I had a chat with the technician and he also said it seems to be a common issue with Nissans, I mentioned to him the silicone spray is not really a permanent fix and as I did I remembered that I'm leasing this car so I quickly lost interest and ended the conversation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9FBZkbwXQ[/youtube]

If you roll down the window about half way and then grab the glass and move it forward and backward, you can see there's a lot of play. What's happening is one of the corners of the window is pitching in and digging into the frame (mine is the edge closest to the A pillar). If you apply the smallest amount of assistance to that corner of the glass while it's lifting, it will straighten the glass and cause it to stop digging, and will roll up without any issues.

So this isn't so much a tint issue or a lubricant issue or a motor issue. The window frame was not designed properly and the glass just sloppily rolls up.

I took this into the dealer and the dealer blamed the tint- they wouldn't service the window unless the tint was removed. Way to go Nissan.

Yeah mine are slow in the cold. I've had the main window jam on my twice with ice now, but I do leave it outdoors all the time so I am not sure I can blame it on the car (possibly any car would suffer the same).

I've been having this same problem with my driver's side window awhile now. Oddly, a streak has also been appearing on the inside of the window, near the A pillar side, which I cleaned off.

I have to open/close my window twice daily to "badge swipe" in/out of our parking garage, so this is worrisome. The "up" operation completely quit on me a couple times; it put the fear into me that I'd be driving home on the highway with my window down in freezing temps one evening...but I managed to tease it closed (whew), little by little, with it stopping every inch or so. I was afraid I'd burn up the motor.

I'm still experiencing very slow closure and it seems to stop about 1/3 the way up sometimes. I've had to hold the switch continuously to get the window to close completely, which has reset the "auto-up" function a couple times (I give up - will reset it when warm). I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the dealer for warranty service...

Kathy

Mine was always slow in the winter. Today, the driver's window is dead, totally unresponsive. I was hoping to find a blown fuse or something, but after reading here, looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future.
Just a side note: My 2012 has been almost trouble-free up to this point. I had a blown wheel speed sensor one month after purchase (yes, I bought it outright!!), but since then, flawless. I even still have all my bars after more than 2 years.

I Also live in NY on long island and I just thought this was due to some power saving window motor or something. How ever 4 days ago my drivers side front window stopped working. At first I just thought it was frozen; so I left it; as it has been below freezing the past... when was it not cold in ny? But it's not bad out today and every other window works fine but My window just stays up don't even hear it trying to go (guess it could be worse motor could've died when it was down) but for an 14 month old car this is unacceptable. The dealer is pretty incompetent I wish I could just have Nissan send me a new motor so I can Install it myself. If they try charging me i'll just keep a broken window till I get my X and let it be the next guys problem... Other than this I have had no problems with my leaf, and she even handles great in the snow.

For the record, this has nothing to do with LEAFs or EVs specifically. I had this complaint on a car back in the 1980s. I'm not saying this isn't an appropriate post for a LEAF forum - it is - just saying that cars have been experiencing extra resistance rolling windows up or down basically since movable windows were introduced.

Back