2013 SL heater not working...again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6yearstilbreakeven

Today was the 3rd time my Leaf has been back to Nissan for the heater. My heater has been working randomly since the day I bought it. I wanted to report my issues here to help other members. Here are the conditions under which I've tested the heater.

Heat set to high (90degrees F).
Measurements are all from the center vent with a digital thermometer (got it as Loews for 25bucks).
Air Flow is directed to upper vents, with fan on full.
Recirculation is put on.
Car has been driven for over 30min.
Car is in regular driving mode (not eco).
Battery is over 30% charge (usually around 70% at time of testing).
Readings are taken when the car is moving and standing still.

Today is a very typical day, and here's is what happened. 28degrees outside, car was running for over an hour. Inside temp from the center vent never got above 63degrees. As I drove to Nissan, the center vent temp dropped to 60.

As I was sitting at Nissan (waiting for a rental), I left the car on so the service manger could inspect. The temperature from the center vent held at 60 for about 5 minutes. It dropped to 55 for about 5 more minutes, and finally, dropped to 45 degrees for 20 minutes before the car was shut off. Again, the heater was set to 90degrees, and the fan was on full bore.

The service valet told me they got "these in here all the time for the heaters". Which is a little upsetting, since ever time I brought the car in, I was told it was functioning perfectly. The service manger also said that they got a lot of Leaf's in for the "heater box". He said it could take 2-3 weeks one to arrive. On the last visit, the tech recorded a center vent reading of 120degrees. Occasionally, I have reached 120degrees, but oddly, it's when the system shouldn't be blowing the hottest (when it's 49degrees or 55degrees outside).

I was given a "Versa"...which isn't at all in the same class as the Leaf. Kinda feels tiny, and seems like it would crumple like a paper bag in an accident.

Would love to hear from anyone else with the same issues, and hear how it was resolved. Thanks.

6yearstilbreakeven said:
Today was the 3rd time my Leaf has been back to Nissan for the heater. My heater has been working randomly since the day I bought it. I wanted to report my issues here to help other members. Here are the conditions under which I've tested the heater.

Heat set to high (90degrees F).
Measurements are all from the center vent with a digital thermometer (got it as Loews for 25bucks).
Air Flow is directed to upper vents, with fan on full.
Recirculation is put on.
Car has been driven for over 30min.
Car is in regular driving mode (not eco).
Battery is over 30% charge (usually around 70% at time of testing).
Readings are taken when the car is moving and standing still.

Today is a very typical day, and here's is what happened. 28degrees outside, car was running for over an hour. Inside temp from the center vent never got above 63degrees. As I drove to Nissan, the center vent temp dropped to 60.

As I was sitting at Nissan (waiting for a rental), I left the car on so the service manger could inspect. The temperature from the center vent held at 60 for about 5 minutes. It dropped to 55 for about 5 more minutes, and finally, dropped to 45 degrees for 20 minutes before the car was shut off. Again, the heater was set to 90degrees, and the fan was on full bore.

The service valet told me they got "these in here all the time for the heaters". Which is a little upsetting, since ever time I brought the car in, I was told it was functioning perfectly. The service manger also said that they got a lot of Leaf's in for the "heater box". He said it could take 2-3 weeks one to arrive. On the last visit, the tech recorded a center vent reading of 120degrees. Occasionally, I have reached 120degrees, but oddly, it's when the system shouldn't be blowing the hottest (when it's 49degrees or 55degrees outside).

I was given a "Versa"...which isn't at all in the same class as the Leaf. Kinda feels tiny, and seems like it would crumple like a paper bag in an accident.

Would love to hear from anyone else with the same issues, and hear how it was resolved. Thanks.

Just a thought: I believe the heater on the 13 SL has a heat pump and a resistive heating element. I assume below a certain outside temperature the heat pump is no longer sufficient and the resistive element kicks in. Maybe your resistive element is not working, so you are getting just the heat from heat pump?

[/quote]

Just a thought: I believe the heater on the 13 SL has a heat pump and a resistive heating element. I assume below a certain outside temperature the heat pump is no longer sufficient and the resistive element kicks in. Maybe your resistive element is not working, so you are getting just the heat from heat pump?[/quote]

Thanks! I have no idea. Where is the resistive element??? I am getting no heat. It blew at 45 degrees today.

Unfortunately it seems to be a 2013 heater issue .

A friend is a parts manager at a Nissan dealer and he had the same problem wih his Leaf.

It is a not a sensor although one of the codes is Solar Sensor. We swapped all the sensors from my Leaf, same problem.

The fix is an entirely new heater assembly and all he ducts. It is a new partnumber so we figure it is an upgraded part.

Big job to do and part of it is backordered as we speak.

Goodtohave said:
Unfortunately it seems to be a 2013 heater issue .

A friend is a parts manager at a Nissan dealer and he had the same problem wih his Leaf.

It is a not a sensor although one of the codes is Solar Sensor. We swapped all the sensors from my Leaf, same problem.

The fix is an entirely new heater assembly and all he ducts. It is a new partnumber so we figure it is an upgraded part.

Big job to do and part of it is backordered as we speak.

The dealer called yesterday to say the system had no codes. They also got the heat up to 120. It's randomly cutting out. Thanks for the info, Goodtohave.

Berlino said:
How many times does it have to break down in the first Winter for Lemon laws to apply?

Lemon laws...

We are both Canadian, no such thing here. We just have to be politely pissed off :)

Just a thought: I believe the heater on the 13 SL has a heat pump and a resistive heating element. I assume below a certain outside temperature the heat pump is no longer sufficient and the resistive element kicks in. Maybe your resistive element is not working, so you are getting just the heat from heat pump?[/quote]

Thanks! I have no idea. Where is the resistive element??? I am getting no heat. It blew at 45 degrees today.[/quote]

Mine has this issue (heat pump work, resistive element dead). Turn on defrost and set high heat, this uses the resistive element. If you are getting icy cold air in window then resistive element is dead.

epirali said:
Mine has this issue (heat pump work, resistive element dead). Turn on defrost and set high heat, this uses the resistive element. If you are getting icy cold air in window then resistive element is dead.

It was blowing icy cold at the window, but the dealer is replacing the ptc heater box. thanks for this info, when the heat fails again, I'll suggest they look at the element.

6yearstilbreakeven said:
epirali said:

It was blowing icy cold at the window, but the dealer is replacing the ptc heater box. thanks for this info, when the heat fails again, I'll suggest they look at the element.

Took mine in two weeks ago, got a call the part is in and scheduled repair for next week. Maybe the availability is becoming better.

I took mine in Tuesday for this issue. They told me they have been getting quite a few in for this problem. They did the PDM recall reprogramming and the 15,000 mile service at the same time. They said it would be a couple of weeks to get the part. The only other thing I've had done under warranty was replacing the center back seat belt. The clasp was assembled below the "button" so you couldn't use it. They got me a rental for the day since it was several hours taking apart the back seats to replace the belt. My dealership has been very pleasant to deal with and I don't have to argue to get things covered. They say they are even going to replace all 3 wiper blades under warranty too since they are smearing mud more than wiping. That would have been done on Tuesday too, but they were out of stock.

I dropped my car off Monday afternoon with the plan being they'd have 24 hours to swap the heater. They ended up keeping it for 2 days. My miles/kWH has gone back up with the fixed heater.

My '13 Leaf is currently at the dealer for a new PTC heater assembly. The computer screen said it was related to a TSB, so it must be a known problem. This is my first trip to the dealer since I leased it last March.

The heater on my '13 SV died last Friday, a little more than 3000 miles into the lease. I took it in to the dealership yesterday and they've not heard back from the Leaf team about parts availability yet , but say it's the HVAC Blower assembly that needs replaced. I also contacted the Leaf consumer affairs team to create a case and they said they'd check into it. The dealership has been pleasant enough to deal with so far.

Right now I'm driving around a clapped-out Focus rental, which I'm not happy about. Missing carwings and the heated wheel and seats a lot.

I'm saving my gas receipts.

well, Nissan USA has very graciously agreed to "repurchase" our 2013 Nissan Leaf under the Georgia Lemon Law. It's been a long (and sometimes cold) road, but I have to say, working with Nissan USA has been a surprisingly pleasant experience (so far). The car undergoes final inspection by a 3rd party, and the 3 party shows up with a check.

Been an interesting experience. The Leaf is an amazing car, the best car I've ever owned. Sadly, the heat not working was a major PITA...being a full time dad and working 30 hours a week, it was back breaking finding the time to bring the car in not once, not twice, but three times (the last repair taking 31 days to complete).

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for the information and help over the past year.

6yearstilbreakeven

well at 10546Km my sv heater has died on the 2013! I think I'm going to work on a small gas car, the distances are simply to far where I live, as much as I like the car it is killing me with the payments and no room for the smallest mistake and now the heater!

at our temps it is an absalute necesity.

Since it is the law and they have no choice in the matter, I'd hardly say that "gracious " applies...

6yearstilbreakeven said:
well, Nissan USA has very graciously agreed to "repurchase" our 2013 Nissan Leaf under the Georgia Lemon Law.

Sorry about that, XeonPony.

It's hard for most to appreciate how much your payments are, since 99% of us benefited from a sizable government rebate on the LEAF.

Hope your heat is fixed or you reach another resolution soon.

Actually, that is not correct, TomT. The Factory has a choice to say "no", which would have forced me to hire an attorney. According to the Georgia Consumer Affairs Rep, the majority of car companies are painfully ingracious during a lemon law claim.

The Nissan Rep was pleasant, understanding, apologetic, and courteous....(gracious, at least how it is defined) I was pleasantly shocked.

Final inspection happens this friday....fingers crossed.

TomT said:
Since it is the law and they have no choice in the matter, I'd hardly say that "gracious " applies...

6yearstilbreakeven said:
well, Nissan USA has very graciously agreed to "repurchase" our 2013 Nissan Leaf under the Georgia Lemon Law.

Berlino said:
Sorry about that, XeonPony.

It's hard for most to appreciate how much your payments are, since 99% of us benefited from a sizable government rebate on the LEAF.

Hope your heat is fixed or you reach another resolution soon.

ty, not fun driving to work at -25c with no preheat, and to see you have to have the fan going the whole time ensuring the car stays good and frigid.

if it was not for the seat and wheel heaters I'd phone up work and quite till the car was fixed! (And I have some good warm blankets in the car)

Back