Rear ended-- Shuld I repair or get a new bumper cover

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenlinda

I was rear ended on September 23rd and I'm still waiting on esurance. This was a hit & run but I got the guys license plate number, so I'm dealing with his insurance. :D So, what would you do...the dealer suggested repair. The damage is minor but it got squished in by the license plate. The car is 2011 but we have only had it a year and a half. It was I like new condition. Until this! I'm leaning toward a new bumper cover to insure the shape is what it was. Any opinions on this?

Does it bother you, even a little? Then you'll want to fix it, especially if it's a leased vehicle and turn-in condition counts. Besides, you don't want her frumpy butt to look even more bizarre, do you? :lol:

I repair my cars, as I tend to keep them a long time; I grieve a little each time I see damage, be it inflicted by others :evil: or accidentally by myself (it's a downer). I'm all about POO (Pride Of Ownership :D ) and like to keep my car looking as new and well-cared-for as long as possible.

Does the dealer guarantee the results? If the repair doesn't/won't look like new, then you should get the cover replaced. If it will, then get it repaired. Don't settle for less than a perfect outcome.

Assuming you're not having to pay out of pocket and the other party's insurance is willing to pay, why not just get it fixed to the best possible standard?

Also, what may look like "minor" damage on the surface of a plastic bumper cover may be more severe beneath. You won't know until you remove the bumper cover. If the impact bar and/or the foam impact absorbing material is misshapen, the new bumper cover won't fit properly.

I am in phoenix, AZ and have a bumper cover for sale. Here is the link. Let me know if interesred. I am negotiable on price.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4139331406.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello,
1. Bumper cover repairs always reduce the selling price. It can rarely be done invisibly. So too can aftermarket covers that don't fit properly (which includes most of them).
2. If choosing "on the cheap" repair, it's sure that the energy absorbing system underneath won't be repaired / replaced either. This can have a big affect the next time you get hit.

My 2011 Leaf has been rear ended twice, OUCH!! Both times required a new cover. The rear panel, behind the cover & aluminum structural member, also got replaced and one hit was hard enough to require a hatch too. Amazing how tough and well designed the rear section is. I worried about the electronics a bit but all has worked fine.

Good luck with the repairs,
Don

I took a shot to my bumper a few months ago & the body shop (at my request) lobbied for a new bumper, which they had to paint. The person who hit me's insurance paid for it. I was curious about the cost & asked when I picked up my car. It was $600 for a new bumper, pained to match my car & this was from the local Chevy dealership body shop. Much more reasonable than I'd expected, but glad I didn't have to pay for it.

philipscoggins said:
I took a shot to my bumper a few months ago & the body shop (at my request) lobbied for a new bumper, which they had to paint. The person who hit me's insurance paid for it. I was curious about the cost & asked when I picked up my car. It was $600 for a new bumper, pained to match my car & this was from the local Chevy dealership body shop. Much more reasonable than I'd expected, but glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Did they also replace your VIN sticker w/ a licensed reproduction from http://www.ecsvin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

they couldn't pay me to put that monstroucity onto my car! hell even if they offered to give it to me free and pay for the car I still wouldn't, be embarased to be seen in a vehical looking like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell us how you really feel, XeonPony. :lol:

I think it looks better than the fish-lipped original look. But I wouldn't pay what they're asking - I'd just find a replacement at a junkyard.

Back