air conditioner problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungo19

lease 4 month ago.
Air conditioner was broken and heard popping sound when I was driving after air conditioner went off.

Still under repair at Nissan dealership for 3 days. It may take a week.

Me too! 2013 S model. Air Conditioner stopped blowing cold. Took it in and was told a hose failed. They could not fix, and ordered the part, sending me home in my non AC Leaf. There was NO ETA on the part. Huh? Good thing it's not August :x

Took ours in (2013 S, leased in April - about 3200 miles) with a nonfunctional A/C this morning. The air blows but never gets cold.

Service guy called late this afternoon and said that it needed a compressor and a hose... and that they had another one with the same problem that needed the same parts!

No ETA for the parts yet, we're also going to go get our Leaf back and hope it doesn't get too hot this week.

Is this a known/larger issue? I'll post back when we have an update.

My A/C is working fine but leaking a lot of water into the cabin by the driver's feet. Carpet is soaked. This is usually a sign of lost efficiency and frozen up evaporator in my past air conditioning experience. I guess I have to bring it in.

kevinleaf said:
My A/C is working fine but leaking a lot of water into the cabin by the driver's feet. Carpet is soaked. This is usually a sign of lost efficiency and frozen up evaporator in my past air conditioning experience. I guess I have to bring it in.
You aren't the first, but your diagnosis is probably a bit off: Water in the driver footwell!

Ray

Snip:
Thankfully my wife was driving the car today....she slips her shoes off to drive and noticed a drip on her foot (I would have likely never noticed with shoes on). I began inspecting as soon as she got home. From the driver's perspective, I noticed mat dampness on the right side of the footwell.

I stuck my fingers up underneath the plastic trim piece and could feel water droplets on the inner lip. Upon pulling off the trim piece, I saw a small, approx. 1/4" semi-rigid rubber hose that was disconnected from a similarly sized rigid plastic conduit running down the center stack. If I'd had an ounce of foresight, I would've snapped a pic of this to post on here.....but only if :x

This is an 2013 Leaf SL w/ 6kw charger.

I *think* the wetness correlated to whether or not the A/C was engaged...so I'm guessing that this was some sort of drainage or condensate line? But it seemed curious to have it routed through the passenger cabin. Anybody have an idea what this might be?

There is no fastener on the connection....the rubber portion simply slides over the rigid plastic and makes a pretty tight fit. I've no idea how this could have come off in the first place.
The above is the first thing I would check.

Update on my post from a couple of days ago - dealer called yesterday to say that the AC parts I need are on backorder with no ETA at this time. I hope we don't have too many hot days left this summer.

Last update on this - Fixed today and working fine. Cause was a leak at the fitting between the condenser and the high-pressure inlet. Both replaced, system recharged.

johnrhansen said:
makes me think I should buy the extended warranty!
Makes me think until there is some track record of reliability with these cars and some decent projections of what to expect on repair costs down the road there's no way I'll be buying. Pile this uncertainty on top of capacity loss issues and it's leases only for me, and only for the length of the bumper to bumper part of the warranty (or less).

I guess I'm just lucky to have the 2011 Japan-built car. I haven't had one single issue with my car in almost 3 years now (except for range loss, of course). It's never been in the shop except for annual battery checks, and software updates.

One more report to throw in here - my 2013 LEAF S, started life Jan-2014, one morning just made a hissing noise when the A/C was turned on, no cooling (and still hissing/gurgling) after about 10 seconds, shut it back off and knew I needed to take it in for service. Service wrote-up "tech tested A/C and found 0 PSI in system. added refrigerant. found leak at condenser to high pressure tube. recommend replace condenser and high pressure line". Same stuff everyone else seems to be reporting here - except since I shut it off immediately after noticing the problem, I probably saved the compressor from overheating damage. "Yay, Nissan quality!" in sarcasm, but "yay, Nissan warranty" in honesty. Glad I don't have to pay for it, and the parts will only take 1 day to get here. Woot! :)

Just got my second call of the day from the dealer where my '14 SL has been since Monday with soaked carpets from the A/C.

First call: the part they ordered came in today, but it's a major repair and they won't be able to do it until next Monday. An earlier call informed me the corresponding part in the car had been "damaged at the factory". :(

Second call: they decided to warranty the front carpet as well, and may be able to get the new one by Tuesday or Wednesday.

This, combined with the windshield leak already fixed under warranty, leaves me, um, less confident in their workmanship at that plant. Murphy's Law came into play too, in that I had just filled out and submitted the various surveys before the A/C problem showed up...

Yeah, the build quality of my 2013 S is noticeably lower than my 2011 SL. Little odds and ends around the car, like the trunk not closing completely without a hefty slam, and a rather large out-of-place bump in the driver-side carpet, seem like there's some loose QA around Smyrna. :/ I still love 'em, though - doing a great thing in reducing the cost, as long as they keep their word on the warranty, I don't terribly mind as long as everything gets fixed. I still spread the Leaf love. :cool:

Well, reporting back now after the repair...

It worked! ... Well, for about 5 hours, at least. When I got it back at about 2:30 PM, it worked perfectly, blew ice cubes the rest of the day. When I took it out for another trip at 10:30 PM, guess what? Exactly the same thing was wrong again - hit the A/C button, the vents hiss, compressor gurgles, and the air from the vents stays the same temperature. I shut it off after about 10 seconds, knowing it could blow the compressor out if it's pumping air.

So, maybe the compressor is the problem already, as has been mentioned earlier that their compressor needed to be replaced (ouch!). Either way, definitely not a happy camper, as we're right in middle of a 100+ degree week... driving around without A/C is absolutely no fun. Neither is taking it back to the dealer the next morning...

If it were up to me where to take it for warranty service, I'd trust Random Joe's Auto A/C Repair before I trust the dealer. In my experience, I know more about this car than the dealer does, and that's definitely not good. Though I am a huge EV geek, so... that may be a factor. :ugeek:

Back