Turning off timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcport

I set my timer for early morning charge, but then concluded I don't need to use it, as I have a charger at work. How do I turn the timer off completely without having to do so each time I charge?

Sorry I was not clear. I simply don't want to use the timer anymore, and I can't figure out how to disable it so there are no times at all set on it. Can I get it back to the factory settings, which were no times listed?

From your delivery date and your reference to "times" I'm going to assume you have a 2013 SV or SL, and not an S model.
[I wish people would tell us what they have. It would make it so much easier.]

If my assumption is right, I haven't used that model, so someone needs to check me, but I think it works the same as the 2011-2012 models. If so, you don't need to get rid of the times, just disable the timers:

Zero Emissions button -> Charging Timers: Timer 1 -> Off; Timer 2 -> Off.

(I'm working from memory, as I no longer have my 2011 SL, and my current S is totally different.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
From your delivery date and your reference to "times" I'm going to assume you have a 2013 SV or SL, and not an S model.
[I wish people would tell us what they have. It would make it so much easier.]

If my assumption is right, I haven't used that model, so someone needs to check me, but I think it works the same as the 2011-2012 models. If so, you don't need to get rid of the times, just disable the timers:

Zero Emissions button -> Charging Timers: Timer 1 -> Off; Timer 2 -> Off.

(I'm working from memory, as I no longer have my 2011 SL, and my current S is totally different.)

Ray

I drive a 2012 SL and tried using the charging timer to get my leaf to charge only during non-peak (cheap) hours. it generally worked ok but i hated that it wouldn't charge if i plugged in AFTER the programmed start time. so i switched to an outlet timer and turned off the charge timer in the car...

but then it gets ugly: like the OP i can't seem to properly disable my charge timer
- timer 1 is "off"
- timer 2 is "off"
- when i plug the car in at any time of day to any EVSE the car will NOT initiate charging
- i MUST press the "immediate charge" button (as the manual calls it; aka the timer off button)

from this thread i've now got the idea to go through and set all days to the OFF option (rather than timer 1/2 despite those timers both being off already) - but i can say from direct and recent experience that setting the timers to "off" does NOT result in the car immediately charging when plugged in to an EVSE.

i've tested at 3 locations:
- home (trickle charger; panasonic)
- work (charge point 6.6kw evse, though my car only supports 3.3kw)
- evgo at the local mall (so little info stated on those evgo stations, i can't state anything more than "it's an evgo")

all three behave the same: i plug in, the car beeps, it's just like the car is waiting for a charge timer to initiate charging, it won't charge unless i press the immediate charge button (or use a mobile app to start charging, which is what i've been doing most days at home since i usually plug into the evse before it has power)

i forgot to kickstart the charger last night and drove to work this morning with 2 bars. a bit disgruntled i plugged into the evse at work (costs $0.19/kwh which is nearly 2x the cost of power at my home).

bitflung said:
but then it gets ugly: like the OP i can't seem to properly disable my charge timer
- timer 1 is "off"
- timer 2 is "off"
- when i plug the car in at any time of day to any EVSE the car will NOT initiate charging
- i MUST press the "immediate charge" button (as the manual calls it; aka the timer off button)

This makes no sense, so the only other thing I can suggest is: pull the 12v (neg) for a bit. Even if the timers were set, disconnecting the 12v disables them (among other things, like resetting the startup sound).

Stanton said:
...the only other thing I can suggest is: pull the 12v (neg) for a bit. Even if the timers were set, disconnecting the 12v disables them (among other things, like resetting the startup sound).

The auto power window up function for the driver's window will be disabled if you do this. Just hold the power window switch in the up position for about five seconds to reset it.

Just wanted to say a me too. Like bitflung I have a 2012 SL, and during a Christmas
break tried turning off the charge timers, but also had to use the override
button. Then about a year ago my schedule changed so that I no longer needed
the timers, this time however, turning them off worked as expected. I could not
think of any thing different that I did. The days are all still set. Maybe one had
to wait a while after turning them off? I talked to a dealer tech about this. He
had not heard about it before, and I decided not pursue the issue at the time.

Has anyone else also noticed that if you set one timer to weekday off-peak and one to weekend off peak, you will never be able to charge your car? The timers seem to be configured as "charge only if BOTH criteria are met". Dumbest thing ever.

Since our SL has GPS, they could've been even smarter about it and enabled the timer only at home! Now every time I charge outside I have to disable the timer :(

Actually that is a good question. I have a 2012 SL so I can do a little experimentation later in the car.

But as for the original poster's question, would it be an acceptable workaround to just set your timer(s) to be "24 hour timers" (i.e. always active) so you don't need to use the override function? We essentially had my wife's 2013 LEAF set up with an 80% timer that was active from 12:00pm to 12:00pm. That way it always started charging immediately upon plugging in (and only to 80%), and we hit the override button if we needed a 100% charge.

So it IS possible to delete the timer completely (without resorting to disconnecting the 12V). I did not find a way to delete them from the Charging Timer menus (the best you could do was turn them off, but as bitflung points out, simply turning the timers off means that it won't initiate a charge at all when you plug it in!)

I finally did succeed in completely removing them (on my 2012, 2013 appears to have the same menu) by going to Menu->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Reset all CARWINGS settings to default (had to scroll down).

The downside is that it did exactly as it said--it deleted ALL CARWINGS settings including my userid/password so I have to re-enter that & then go and update all my settings again. But it did completely delete the timers and when I plugged in it did start charging immediately.

There may be an easier way, but yes, this seems like an oversight on Nissan's part to not have a way to not so destructively completely remove a timer.

Interesting followup to the above suggestion: after resetting CARWINGS settings to default, my timers were effectively disabled, but the actual timer parameters apparently were not. When I went to set up my timers again after the reset, as soon as I went to "create" a timer, all of my previous settings (END time, charge level, days of week, etc.) were preserved from my previous timer. Interesting!

I have another question now about the timers (2011 LEAF).

If you press the Timer Override button, with the car off of course, plug in and start charging, will the car then stop the charge when the timer period ends? For example, Timer set up 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., start charging at 7 p.m. with the Timer Override button, car needs 3 hours of charging, will the EVSE be turned off at 8 p.m. or at 10 p.m.?

I ask because now after literally hundreds of charges, with pressing the Timer Override button, it seems that such an event occurred.

sub3marathonman said:
I have another question now about the timers (2011 LEAF).

If you press the Timer Override button, with the car off of course, plug in and start charging, will the car then stop the charge when the timer period ends? For example, Timer set up 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., start charging at 7 p.m. with the Timer Override button, car needs 3 hours of charging, will the EVSE be turned off at 8 p.m. or at 10 p.m.?

I ask because now after literally hundreds of charges, with pressing the Timer Override button, it seems that such an event occurred.

Timer override turns the timer off for that charging session. 11MY will stop charging at 100% or 80% depending on which was selected.

kovalb said:
Timer override turns the timer off for that charging session. 11MY will stop charging at 100% or 80% depending on which was selected.
+1, with the timer override button pushed charging won't stop until the battery is fully charged(or 80% if that option is enabled) no matter if you have timers set or not.

Stanton said:
bitflung said:
- timer 1 is "off"
- timer 2 is "off"

This makes no sense, so the only other thing I can suggest is: pull the 12v (neg) for a bit. Even if the timers were set, disconnecting the 12v disables them (among other things, like resetting the startup sound).

I found a workable solution: you have to disable the charging timers when the car would otherwise be allowed to charge.
that is:

- set a start time a few minutes in the future (if you are working on the issue just before 9AM set the charge timer for 9AM)
- turn off the car, plug it in
- let the charge timer kick in and the car start charging
- THEN go in and disable the charge timers

This enabled me to disable the charge timers without having to pull the 12v power. ridiculous, i know, but that's what I had to do to get my 2012 SL to disable the timers without leaving the car in a state where it refuses to charge.

it seems important that the car be plugged in and charging actually starts in my bullet list above, but i didn't test this without plugging in the car. i'm not willing to either. now that the charge timers are finally disabled i'm never going to fiddle with them again - no benefit to risking getting the car stuck in a crappy state again.

I have a 2012 SL and have to set the timers through the NAV screen too. My wife borrowed my car for a week and she likes to charge the car during the day unlike me who likes to charge from 2am onward each day. She told me to 'make it like hers' and I did by disabling the timers. it worked for her, now I'm worried that the next time I'm asked to do this it'll behave likes all of yours. I've disabled the timers before and had no issue. I'm going to test this out tonight and report back.

Back