2013 SV has the clicking sound

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

Leafpals:

I have looked at some interesting threads about sounds coming out of our Leafs. Mine started making a clicking sound about 500 miles ago. It is a sharp metallic click or two when starting and stopping. Some of the thoughts on this board in the past were:

service bulletin number ntb12-055b? (what is this?)
Front axle bearings?
Reduction gear?
Cotter pins at hubs on front wheels likely?
splines in drivetrain need lubrication?

Did this ever get resolved as to what the likely culprit is? I want to give my local dealership an idea where to look.

The sound really reminds me of what a loose cotter pin would do. But it really is pretty loud. With the windows up you really can't hear it much, but with them down the sound can reflect off the curb or a building, and it is very noticeable. Thoughts?

My 2011 has the clicking sound too.

I have an appointment for the new software update tomorrow - I plan to have the dealership investigate the clicking, which I believe will be a CV boot, which from reading here is a warranty item

Just had our 2013 SL in to dealer service this past week for a similar clicking sound from the front end, most notable when moving off or coming to a complete stop.

The dealer performed the following:
-Apply grease to front drive shaft bearings surfaces
-Replaced 2 cotter pins

Now back to quiet motoring :)

That's so interesting because I noticed a clicking sound the other week on my 2011. Here are the times I noticed the sound...

From a stop, in drive, i let off the brake and accelerate to 3-4mph then apply the brakes and *click.*

Then I put it into reverse, i let off the brake and allow the car to roll a bit, apply the brakes and *click.*

I thought it was the brake caliper - although I've never heard that sound come from any previous brakes.

Is that what you are describing?

My 2013 SL had the same click on accel/decal. They replaced the hex nuts andtorqued them to 135 ftlbs, replaced cotter pins and applied molykote 77 to some bearing assembly contact surface three days ago. Fine since. Guess the factory skimped on Grease or something.

I had same problem and air conditioner was broken. 2013 Leaf s with quick charger option.

I just had this problem fixed on my '13 SV. The dealer mechanic went for a ride with me and witnessed the sound, which happened when pressing on the accelerator from a stop or engaging the brakes (and even when letting off the throttle while in Eco mode) while moving. To me, it sounded like a relay or servo engaging - a metallic click as some have described it.

The tech said that it was the splines on the front axles that slip in and out during these start/stop events. So it's a lubrication problem. He also said that this is a common problem with several Nissan models, and that there's even a service bulletin out for one of Nissan's SUVs (I forget which one). I left the Leaf with them, and they fixed the problem in a couple hours. Now, the car is silent during acceleration/deceleration, like it was when new. And thank god, because I was in jeopardy of losing my "Swoosh" status! :eek:

BTW, the car only had about 1500 miles on it when I first noticed the noise.

My repair was under warranty, so I encourage people to have this checked out by a dealer before your warranty expires. I don't know how much this would have cost had my Leaf not been under warranty. I would imagine 1-2 hours of labor and a small charge for the lube.

Hope this is helpful to others!

Hello all,

So my 2011 (I'm at 16k miles) has been experiencing a similar clicking sound from the front wheels.

I would get one click when I hit the brake pedal. And then if I switch directions (go in reverse) and hit the brake again it would make the click again. Just one click, until I switched directions and then I would get it again.

I thought it might be the front axle lubrication issue, but it was only when I hit the brakes. Took it to the dealer and they said they heard the click as well. They said the brake retaining clips were 'bent'. They fixed that and lubricated it. Not alot of specifics there. But the sound is gone. At least for now.

-Peter

Just another data point, but my experience is almost exactly what swoosh described. Lubrication fixed it and 1,500 miles later still no problems.

I've got it, too, on my 2013 SL with about 2,100 miles.

Thanks for posting about this, I'm not sure I'd have noticed it as a problem particularly.

I'm holding off on taking it in to the dealer, kind of waiting to see if I have the PDM problem crop up first, so they can fix both at the same time.

Does anyone think it'll hurt anything serious to hold off a few weeks? I read something about splines being involved and I don't want serious problems with those bad boys (being aware of serious spline issues with the BMW ActiveE program cars).

Mine was doing the same thing. Service discovered loose carriage bolts. Seems to have been a robotic issue on the lot my Leaf came out on.

I got my 2013 SL fixed last Friday. Thanks again everyone for bringing this to my attention and prompting me to get it fixed.

They removed both front axle shafts, cleaned, lubed, re-torqued and replaced cotter pins.

braineo said:
Is the clicking only when you push the accelerator hard, or is it constant at any speed.

It clicks every time from a start, and while stopping too. It does not click while simply driving at speed. But it is very noticeable, especially with the windows open at a start.

dndrich said:
braineo said:
Is the clicking only when you push the accelerator hard, or is it constant at any speed.

It clicks every time from a start, and while stopping too. It does not click while simply driving at speed. But it is very noticeable, especially with the windows open at a start.

It's not a continuous clicking, just a distinct click after you step on the brakes and slowing starts and another one when you start off from rest. It's most noticeable if you are next to a curb or a wall in a neighborhood where it's quiet. The sound bounces off the curb so you can hear it better.

thanks, my noise is only when I press the accelerator from a stop. Like the twang made by spring of a radio antenna.

Just got the car back from the dealer. They greased the front axle splines with moly grease and torqued the axle nut. I drove the car home, noise gone. So far it appears fixed. If that changes I will keep you posted. I think there is a TSB on this now. Also had the charging reprogramming done while there. I have had no charging issues, but did it anyway.

Back