Play/Pause over USB

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychopps

As I commute to work I like to listen to The Economist via the Economist application on my iPhone 5. I play audio via USB to power/charge my phone during my ~60 min commute, and because the audio sounds better via USB than it does via bluetooth. Sometimes I carpool with my father and we'll occasionally pause the audio from within the app, talk about an article, and then resume play.

I recently pulled down a few podcasts and was listening to them as I drove. I've found that there is no way to pause the playback from within the phone. Whats more, when listening to pandora or the economist, if I pause the audio from within the app, my Leaf resumes audio from whatever podcast I was last listening to. The only way I could find to stop playback was to delete all my podcasts.

Is there some other way to stop playback once it has started?

I tried hitting the off button for the audio system, and that does stop the sound. If I'm listening to a podcast it stops the playback. Unfortunately if I'm listening to audio from an app, the playback continues just not over the car's speakers.

What I want is to be able to disable the auto-play. It's maddening. I pause, the leaf restarts? Why fight me??? The leaf and I get along so well the rest of the time...

jimmychopps said:
As I commute to work I like to listen to The Economist via the Economist application on my iPhone 5. I play audio via USB to power/charge my phone during my ~60 min commute, and because the audio sounds better via USB than it does via bluetooth. Sometimes I carpool with my father and we'll occasionally pause the audio from within the app, talk about an article, and then resume play.

I recently pulled down a few podcasts and was listening to them as I drove. I've found that there is no way to pause the playback from within the phone. Whats more, when listening to pandora or the economist, if I pause the audio from within the app, my Leaf resumes audio from whatever podcast I was last listening to. The only way I could find to stop playback was to delete all my podcasts.

Is there some other way to stop playback once it has started?

I tried hitting the off button for the audio system, and that does stop the sound. If I'm listening to a podcast it stops the playback. Unfortunately if I'm listening to audio from an app, the playback continues just not over the car's speakers.

What I want is to be able to disable the auto-play. It's maddening. I pause, the leaf restarts? Why fight me??? The leaf and I get along so well the rest of the time...

A work around would be to download the podcast (assuming you can save it as an mp3 file?) and put it on a thumb drive and access it through the USB connection in the car -- I like the fact that the LEAF will simply 'auto start' where it left off if I switch to another media source (I like to hear scheduled updates on how the DJIA is doing on local AM radio along with traffic & weather). Also, by doing this, the LEAF will just assume it's another 'song' on a directory and you can switch, etc. between them. The USB interface is pretty simple on the LEAF versus other cars but not all that bad as it does show any meta tags for artist and song title -- on another car I own (a '13 VW) I also get the photo album cover (access is via an SD card, not USB) but need to do some more research how or if this can show up on the LEAF (probably not). I'm sure others may have some thoughts on this -- my son owns an iPod that he listens to pod casts in an '08 smart we also own with just an earphone type jack (no USB or even Bluetooth on that particular radio) and I'm assuming you can pause the device through that type of connection -- the LEAF also has that earphone jack so perhaps that's another possibility.

Call Leaf support
I spoke with Eric
877-664-2738 ext 457256
Case# 12859861

Add yourself to the complaint. The more the merrier. I just simply asked for a software update to add a pause button to the iPod interface on the Leaf.

Enjoy

I'm here for the same reason. When I pause podcast playback on the iphone 5, the Leaf restarts the audio about 5 seconds later. Maddening.

There are plenty of cases were for safety or comfort reasons, pause is a good thing to have.

The only workaround I have found is to switch sources to something with no audio. The iphone then actually pauses. When I switch input back to the iphone it takes of from where it left off. But this is really awkward.... the Leaf is indeed a strange car.

I have a similar problem. I don't have a smart phone. Normally I listen to music from a thumb drive in the USB or audiobooks on CD, but the library is now increasingly using digital audiobooks. I can download them to my Kindle, and I can even play the Kindle audio from the AUX jack, but my Kindle isn't blue tooth or on a data plan, just wi-fi, so to pause it while driving I would have to pick it up, press and hold a button on the edge (usually requires both hands), unlock the screen, then press the pause icon. Needless to say, I don't use it in the car.

bobbakh said:
Call Leaf support 877-664-2738 ext 457256
Add yourself to the complaint. The more the merrier. I just simply asked for a software update to add a pause button to the iPod interface on the Leaf.

Nissan is no Tesla. Seems unlikely.

I pause the iPhone music playback by switching to another source that's not playing anything....

Back