Safety Open Leaf Reprogram bulletin?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyas

I just received an email Nissan Leaf Corrective services saying my model and year Leaf(a 2012)has an open campaign and to call the dealer
It then says this:
RC-3375048
P3227 Safety Open Leaf Reprogram
NTB13-061

I am calling the dealer soon.

Just curious if anyone who owns a 2013 got this email--and what the heck is for.

I just had an ocasion to call the Nissan Leaf Telemetrics Tech Support, and they informed me that my 2012 Leaf has an Open Vehicle Safety Campagne to Reprogram, RC-3375518 as of 6/7/2013, and to call the dealer for details. Interresting the Number is different. I wonder is there is some Regional Location coded in there somewhere. Actually, it probably goes by range of VIN Numbers.

The dealer didn't offer a lot of details either. They said it was computer updates, so I am thinking some minor bug fixes.

I just had this done; I read the associated Service Bulletin Saturday and had it done yesterday after charging up at Washington, D.C. first CHAdeMO station (sweet!) Anyway, as far as the cars effective it's only 2011 and 2012 and the gist of the campaign is to bring the car's software more in line with the 2013 so I don't expect any 2013s are affected.

Officially, the campaign started on Friday but letters don't go out until 24 June which is why most people haven't heard of it yet.

TomT said:
Can you post that bulletin, please?

TimeHorse said:
I just had this done; I read the associated Service Bulletin Saturday and had it done yesterday

I have it at home; will try to scan it tonight though am really busy with so much stuff at the moment. Where are we normally posting these things? I forgot.

This forum would be fine since it relates to the topic at hand here. Thanks!

TimeHorse said:
TomT said:
Can you post that bulletin, please?
TimeHorse said:
I just had this done; I read the associated Service Bulletin Saturday and had it done yesterday
I have it at home; will try to scan it tonight though am really busy with so much stuff at the moment. Where are we normally posting these things? I forgot.

Interesting. I don't see it at http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=651#.UbjI1diO6rv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; yet.

I called the dealer and they said some computer issues...and I will be taken it in on Friday. I sure hope they don't mess anything up. The car has been working great.

Nissan North America said:
Subject: 2011-2012 Nissan LEAF Li-ion Battery Controller and On-Board Charger Reprogram Voluntary Service Campaign

Attention: Dealer Principals, Sales, Parts and Service Managers

***** Corporate Statement *****

Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign which is providing a new software enhancement for model year 2011-2012 LEAF vehicles, updating them with the software currently used in production for 2013 model year LEAF vehicles. The software enhancement is aimed at improving the accuracy of the battery capacity level gauge and providing greater compatibility with an expanded range of EV charging equipment.

This campaign affects about 20,500 vehicles in the U.S.

***** Parts Information *****

As this is a reprogramming, repair parts should not be needed as part of this service campaign.

***** Repair Instructions *****

Nissan has developed the Service Campaign Bulletin NTB13-061 containing instructions to perform this campaign repair and claims information. These instructions are available on ASIST and on NNAnet.com under My Documents in the Sales/Campaign, Parts/Campaign and Service/Campaign categories.

***** Vehicle Identification *****

MY 2011—12 LEAF vehicles subject to this service campaign can be identified as follows:

• Service Comm — Beginning June 7, Dealer sales and service departments can complete an inquiry on Service Comm — Campaign I.D. P3227 — to determine if a vehicle is subject to this recall campaign.

***** Dealer's Responsibility *****

It is the dealer's responsibility to check Service Comm - Campaign I.D. P3227 — for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary service campaign which, for any reason, enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased

from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in dealer inventory. If an affected VIN was part of a dealer trade, the letter associated with that VIN

should be forwarded to the appropriate dealer for service completion.

***** Owner Notification *****

Nissan plans to begin notifying owners June 24, 2013.

Nissan Parts and Service Dealer Support 6/06/13

Perhaps this sets the original battery capacity at 110%, so that losing one bar
at 85% will really be happening after about 22% loss instead of at 15% loss?

If possible, write down your LEAF Battery app, and GID values after an
80% and a 100% charge, and both before and after the update, and then
again after an 80% charge, and a 100% charge.

Maybe we can figure our what they are doing for/to us? :shock: :eek: :oops: :evil: :?:

garygid said:

That's a great idea. I don't plan on getting my update until later this summer, but I'll have my LeafDD before that so I can write down my GIDs before and after. :p

I just had my recall software programming done this morning (P3227, NTB13-061), since I was in for my 2yr battery check, and they offered to do it, rather than have me come in again after I receive the recall letter. The work performed says:" Reprogrammed Lithium Ion Battery Controller and the On-Board Charging Module". I don't have a GID meter, but I immediately noticed that my SOC bars jumped from 2 to 4 bars after only 20 minutes of L2 charging this afternoon. :eek:

Based on what I have observed so far after having my done this morning and then doing a QC this afternoon, it may some time for the system to restabilize. Kind of like when Mwalsh had his BCM replaced some time ago...

I went from 10 bars to 11 after the reprogram and I gained about 10 Gids at an 80% charge... I'm going to do a 100% charge tonight and it will be interesting to see what readings I get afterwards.

I plan to do a range test this weekend.

derkraut said:
I just had my recall software programming done this morning (P3227, NTB13-061), since I was in for my 2yr battery check, and they offered to do it, rather than have me come in again after I receive the recall letter. The work performed says:" Reprogrammed Lithium Ion Battery Controller and the On-Board Charging Module". I don't have a GID meter, but I immediately noticed that my SOC bars jumped from 2 to 4 bars after only 20 minutes of L2 charging this afternoon. :eek:

planet4ever said:
Oho! It sounds like we are going to have "old bars", "new bars", and "bars classic". In a few months the old-timers will start getting together and reminiscing about the olden days when they had "hidden bars".

Ray
You're probably right on there, planet4ever. :lol:

planet4ever said:
Oho! It sounds like we are going to have "old bars", "new bars", and "bars classic". In a few months the old-timers will start getting together and reminiscing about the olden days when they had "hidden bars".
Yes, acronyms will be OB, NB and CB. ;)

They're chipping in a few watts off of those 3 kW we can't get to. Maybe they figured they were playing it too safe hogging all those watts for no good reason, and figured they can't go too wrong throwing in a few just to make things look a little better out on the Leaf range... :lol:

garygid said:
Perhaps this sets the original battery capacity at 110%, so that losing one bar
at 85% will really be happening after about 22% loss instead of at 15% loss?

Maybe we can figure our what they are doing for/to us? :shock: :eek: :oops: :evil: :?:

Great idea for a test; too late for me though and I have yet to build my GID. :(

After a 100% charge overnight, I am now showing 238 Gids, post-upgrade. This gave 393.0 volts and a 92.5% SOC which is unchanged from the pre-upgrade reading. Pre-upgrade it was 220 Gids for 100%... So, it seems I have magically picked up 18 Gids of capacity and am now on the cusp of where one would normally expect to loose the first capacity bar. I'll know later this weekend if that translates to any real range increase. FYI, the readings are from the Lincomatic meter.

(Now I have to figure out how to incorporate this new info in to my signature...)

My theory is more optimistic, or pessimistic depending on how you look at it; what if they just changed the motor use profile to match the 2013, you know with more regen, etc? I.e. lose power but gain range? But I've not noticed any power loss so it seems unlikely. But it's be nice if my car became a 90 some mile EV overnight from its current 73 mi worst case scenario.

Back