Can't remove charging unit - Resolved

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjlyerly

Searched through the thread and couldn't find anyone experiencing this issue, but I've had my Leaf for a few months now. I often trickle charge with the unit provided with the car in my garage. Today I went to plug in the charger and the Leaf greets me with 3 flashing lights and beeping noise for about 30 seconds. I try to remove the charger and it is stuck in place. The button you squeeze with your index finger to remove and set the charger in the car seems to be stuck half way depressed. No matter what I do I can't remove the charging unit. Barring getting a rod and try and pry it out or call roadside assistance there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. I've tried lightly pulling the charger while forcefuly pressing the button, unplugging the other end of the cord from the wall, trying to start the car (which won't work because the car senses the charger is in place, but it is not actually charging). Every time I try and do something the leaf through this flashing of lights and beeping.

Seems like the pin inside the button may be broken or an obstruction may be between the unit and the charging port. Seems kindof crazy to call roadside assistance and have the car towed for this but I don't see any other choice. It's late now and the dealer is closed and the roadside assistance number wasn't much help after hours except to offer a tow, which I don't really need now because I'm at home and still have a backup car I can use in the morning.

Anyone experience this and have a solution? Otherwise I'll call the dealer in the morning or have it towed I suppose.

I've got a 2013 and it does have a lock switch. That is not engaged, so that's not the issue unless it is engaged without the indicator light being on. Either way, I would think it would be charging if the lock was on - which it is not.

tjlyerly said:
I've got a 2013 and it does have a lock switch. That is not engaged, so that's not the issue unless it is engaged without the indicator light being on. Either way, I would think it would be charging if the lock was on - which it is not.

It probably won't charge now because with the unlock button partly depressed, the proximity detection is tripped.

I would cycle that lock a few times, and if no joy, sounds like a job for the dealer.

Try removing your negative 12V battery terminal for 5 minutes and putting it back on.

"Page CH 20. 2013 users manual"

IF THE CHARGE CONNECTOR CAN NOT BE UNLOCKED
1. Place power switch in the OFF position.
2. Openthehood.
3. Remove the jack rod from the tool set that is located in the cargo area. See “Tools” in the “In Case of Emergency” section.
4. Insert the suitable tool into the screw that is located on the front of hood lock.
5. Turn it clockwise to release the charge con- nector lock.
6. Remove the charge connector.

And pull the negative

OK I tried to follow the instructions in the manual and in the first responder's guide. http://chargeny.com/files/file/8-nissan-leaf-first-responders-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page 18)

It says to find "the screw located through the access hole near the front of the hood lock.". I think I found it, although the illustration appears to have the person inserting the jack rod in the wrong place, but I cannot turn the screw clockwise and turning it counterclockwise only loosens the screw. Either way I can't remove the charger or fully depress the button. Seems pretty stuck in place. I then disconnected the negative from the 12V battery which disabled all power and still no luck. Unless someone has better advice, its the dealer and tow truck for me.

tjlyerly said:
OK I tried to follow the instructions in the manual and in the first responder's guide. http://chargeny.com/files/file/8-nissan-leaf-first-responders-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page 18)

It says to find "the screw located through the access hole near the front of the hood lock.". I think I found it, although the illustration appears to have the person inserting the jack rod in the wrong place, but I cannot turn the screw clockwise and turning it counterclockwise only loosens the screw. Either way I can't remove the charger or fully depress the button. Seems pretty stuck in place. I then disconnected the negative from the 12V battery which disabled all power and still no luck. Unless someone has better advice, its the dealer and tow truck for me.

Now I'm interested.
Please let us know what they find.
Good luck

Yes, played with the lock release switch. I don't think the issue is electrical. I think it's something physically stuck in place, or a broken spring holding the lock button in place preventing it from being removed.

Now I'm interested in the resolution too. Can't help thinking this is one of those "the more stuff you add the more stuff to break" situations; obviously I don't have a lock connector.

...and the plot continues on this. Called the dealer and scheduled a tow truck to come by my house after I get home from work to tow it to the dealer. The fella at the dealer says they are very interested in this and actually are flying somebody from Michigan down to look at this issue. Says they have had a few issues like this reported and were glad to know the charger was still stuck in place. They asked to keep it a few days to do root cause.

I wonder if trying to insert the handle with some force all the way in as if you were just hooking it up to charge? Then, see if you hear a click or anything and see if it would then release. Keep us informed, this may be a recall issue if it happens with any regularity.

...another update on this. A flat bed tow truck came out but the way my garage and driveway are situated, there is no way for him to pull in to hook up the car without putting the car in neutral and pushing it out first - which we can't do because of this situation. The car still has a half a charge left but since it is sensing the charger as still being plugged in, it can't be removed from park. So right now, it is a brick in my garage.

Called the dealer and we scheduled a time for them to come out tomorrow afternoon and manually override the gear setting so it can be removed from the garage and towed. Evidently there is a way to do this that only maintenance can do. He did say that likely the visitor from Michigan will come out to my house to oversee this and see the situation. So I'm getting some special attention from one of the engineers from corporate.

They were nice enough and offered a loaner car. I actually don't need to loaner right now, but will gladly take the credits to use on a family road trip in the future when it could come in more use.

More drama to come.

tjlyerly said:
...there is no way for him to pull in to hook up the car without putting the car in neutral and pushing it out first - which we can't do because of this situation.
A simple quick fix is to simply disconnect the small connector running from the J1772 charge inlet into the LEAF's front harness. This will remove the proximity signal, and the car will drive normally.

Here is the diagram, I'm reasonably sure the one you want is shown in red:
pic

You could then simply drive the car to the dealer after wrapping and safely stowing the EVSE under the hood somewhere.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
You could then simply drive the car to the dealer after wrapping and safely stowing the EVSE under the hood somewhere.
Although that's not quite as much fun as having Nissan engineers over to your garage for an impromptu tech session :D

Yikes. Good information to have. I'm tempted to do this and drive it in but since I've got the professionals coming to me tomorrow - I think I'll defer. Besides I think as a engineer they might appreciate me to leave the issue in as pristine condition as possible so they can do proper root cause without me fooling around in there. However if it looks like they are going to knock the wall off my garage to get to the car, I'll suggest this to them.

My greatest fear at this point is that when they arrive they will simply push or pull on the charger button a little harder than I did and remove it without issue.

Back