Leaf stops charging on L2 chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skruis

I've had my Leaf 2013 for about 2 months now & have just recently purchased a L2 charger from Levinton. It's a 40A 9.6kw capable charger. When I connect the charger it charges for a short period, 30-45 min, & stops. If I unplug the charger & plug it back in, it starts charging normally. Also, I can initiate a charge thru car wings. Again, it will charge for a short period, then stops, & an amber warning light appears on the dash.

I have contacted the charger manufacturer & they were very helpful noting that if there was a fault it would've showed up on the charger's fault indicator. Also, the issue has occurred while connected to the Aero charger at another Nissan dealership so, this kind of rules out the charger.This has not happened & I have also taken my car to the local dealer to check the amber fault light which appears on the dash after the car stops charging. They weren't able to find any issue with the car.

Has anyone experienced this?

skruis said:
I've had my Leaf 2013 for about 2 months now & have just recently purchased a L2 charger from Levinton. It's a 40A 9.6kw capable charger. When I connect the charger it charges for a short period, 30-45 min, & stops. If I unplug the charger & plug it back in, it starts charging normally. Also, I can initiate a charge thru car wings. Again, it will charge for a short period, then stops, & an amber warning light appears on the dash.

I have contacted the charger manufacturer & they were very helpful noting that if there was a fault it would've showed up on the charger's fault indicator. Also, the issue has occurred while connected to the Aero charger at another Nissan dealership so, this kind of rules out the charger.This has not happened & I have also taken my car to the local dealer to check the amber fault light which appears on the dash after the car stops charging. They weren't able to find any issue with the car.

Has anyone experienced this?

This is happening on some 2013 cars, I have seen it on a car used on a Leviton unit but then on other units after as well. You likely have a charger issue, try another EVSE and if it still does it head back to the dealer and expect them to point the finger at the EVSE. Tell them you have an AV unit at home so they won't make excuses:) If an EVSE is not faulting it is likely your charger and you are not alone.

I am having this exact same issue. I was using trickle charge for a while (only had my leaf about a month... leasing it). Have charged at various L2 chargers and a L3 twice without issue. Now that I have a home L2 charger... I've discovered after about 4 successful charges on it... now the car quits charging after about 30-45 mins.

I went back to my trickle charger and it worked fine. Just got back from charging at another L2 charger that I had previously used with success and got the same issue... I'm making an appointment at the dealership to have it checked out this weekend. I can get by with the trickle charge for a few days.

jaypup said:
I am having this exact same issue. I was using trickle charge for a while (only had my leaf about a month... leasing it). Have charged at various L2 chargers and a L3 twice without issue. Now that I have a home L2 charger... I've discovered after about 4 successful charges on it... now the car quits charging after about 30-45 mins.

I went back to my trickle charger and it worked fine. Just got back from charging at another L2 charger that I had previously used with success and got the same issue... I'm making an appointment at the dealership to have it checked out this weekend. I can get by with the trickle charge for a few days.
Don't be surprised if it starts happening with trickle as well. Other folks who have had this problem reported it in that case as well. You might be better off just getting the car into the dealer while you can still drive it there.

Since posting this topic, the issue has gotten worse. I cannot charge my leaf without constantly initiating a 'charge'. I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow & leaving it.

Did Nissan find the problem? My 2013 Leaf is doing the exact same thing....it just stops charging..I unplug and then plug it back in and then it works for a bit and stops again. The charger does not show any faults but the card does light up the amber light with the exclamation point in it. I have an appointment at the dealership but I was just curious what the root cause of your issue was...

do you have the timer set up? ive noticed when the timer is one the charging is wonky.. turned it off and everything is right. will take it into the dealrship when i have time, but just a suggestion to get you out of a jam quick

I dont use the timer...so I dont think this is it. I have taken the leaf to the dealer and they provided me a loaner leaf so that I have a car to drive as well as to test to see if the charging issue is isolated to my car. Well last night I plugged in the loaner leaf with only 25 miles left on it and it charged to 100% with no issue! So it really must be something wrong with my leaf.

I have just found out from Nissan they have confirmed the failure and have to get me the new part directly from Nissan in Japan.....1week delay to get new part.

Wadel1... having same problem. Will be taking in Leaf to dealership next week. Can you post what the fix/part is.
Thanks.

It seems that there is a PDM epidemic... A coworker had this happen to his 2013 Leaf about 7 weeks ago and another this last week. Clearly there appears to be a design or manufacturing defect in the PDM...

I wonder if this will be the equivalent of the early 2011 A/C recall...

I have narrowed my charging issues to power fluctuations here at work messing with the Clipper Creek charger.

I have the same problem. 2013 SV - 3000 miles. Got it on 4/20. Won't charge on 240v. Starts, then fails. 110v still works, but that doesn't give me enough time to recharge to use my car daily. Took it in to the dealership and was told an "update" will be out in mid July that will correct the issue but that I CAN'T use a 240v evse until then. EXCUSE ME? Is that the solution? I have a 2 year lease and am already out at least one month of my 24 months w/o a fix? I'm sorry....I LOVE this car and this technology, but Nissan needs to step up to the plate and fix this and/or compensate those of us who took a leap of faith that we would be able to use our cars on a daily basis.

jelloslug said:
I have narrowed my charging issues to power fluctuations here at work messing with the Clipper Creek charger.

I seriously doubt it is power fluctuations. This is an issue with the onboard charger and Nissan has known about it for quite some time.

Can we please get the terminology straight?

The "trickle charge" cord set including an upgraded one along w/wall mounted L1 and L2 EVSEs are all EVSEs, not chargers. The diagram at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might help.

RTL44 said:
jelloslug said:

I seriously doubt it is power fluctuations. This is an issue with the onboard charger and Nissan has known about it for quite some time.
It works fine on my 240 charger at home and every where else I have charged it. I can start the charger, have a guy inside flip on a CNC machine and about 10 seconds later the charger shuts off. It happens every time. We have a High Power Tesla charger here also and it's even worst to shut off.

This happened to me for the first time yesterday from a chargepoint station.. all timers off. I've been using a Siemens 220v unit in my house without issue and other chargepoints sparingly. This put me in a bind as I left the car on the evse for a couple hours to reach my destination, however it stopped charging after about an hour. After I left the location I also had an orange warning light on the dash which disappeared after another reboot. .Here's the email I received from Chargepoint as well:

Dear Mark....,

We wanted to let you know that your vehicle, which is charging at EDWARD HOSPITAL / NAPERVILLE, is drawing very little power. Typically, this means it's fully charged, however, it may also indicate that your vehicle is configured for delayed charging. Your vehicle has accepted 4.97 kWh of electricity and has been plugged in for 01:05:10 (hh:mm:ss).

Thank you,
Team ChargePoint

My car was charged to approx 50%.

My Leaf with 1,000 miles on it is suddenly not charging to 100% on my L2 charger at home. It stops charging around 94% and I have to manually restart. I wonder if this is the same problem.

Bateman said:
My Leaf with 1,000 miles on it is suddenly not charging to 100% on my L2 charger at home. It stops charging around 94% and I have to manually restart. I wonder if this is the same problem.
You have a '13 Leaf? Which EVSE do you have? (No, your "L2 charger" is not a charger. The charger is on-board the car.)

Back