Ice + J1772 = Fail

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

Well, it happened again. Somehow, ice melted on my hood, dripped down and around the j1772 socket, and froze. Except this time without the charging handle in the socket. So when I did plug in once I got home, it wouldn't seat correctly. I had to go inside to retrieve a hair drier. :roll:

This is what happened once before, where water dripped down onto the lock mechanism on the handle and prevented the release from being depressed- essentially locking the handle into the socket.

Orange cover. Heh. You know you've got one of the early ones when you have an orange cover. Didn't the switch to both black at some point?

cwerdna said:
Interesting... at first I thought this was going to be a thread about an EV spot getting ICEd.
To keep us on topic, here are couple of photos from Chris Neff from the ActiveE group:

15oTohg

VZtT4C
troubleshootmnl

Relative to those pics of the ActiveE charging (and all other EVs on the market), the Leaf's flip UP door seems to protect the handle & charge port the best. Do you snowbound owners find this to be the case most of the time?

mitch672 said:
This is why we have garages up here, not an issue inside the garage with the Tesla or the PiP
Do you never travel anywhere and leave the car outside? My Tesla picture was taken while on a business trip so even though I have a garage at home that didn't help me :)

KevinSharpe said:
mitch672 said:
This is why we have garages up here, not an issue inside the garage with the Tesla or the PiP
Do you never travel anywhere and leave the car outside? My Tesla picture was taken while on a business trip so even though I have a garage at home that didn't help me :)

Yes, I go to work, which has an underground parking garage, no problem their...
Other places I go, I don't plug in, so the weather is not a factor for me.
The Tesla has enough range I only need to plug in at home anyway.

The Tesla has enough range I only need to plug in at home anyway.

Oh My Tesla blah blah 800 mile range blah blah (Just Jealous :twisted: )

I had my Orange Port Cover (they really switched to Black?) frozen shut on me the other morning.

Was able to warm it enough to get it open.
Does anybody make something like a 12VDC hairdryer?

This could have been a real bitch of a problem If I were somewhere and needed to charge.
It's not like I have a Tesla you know. :twisted:
I don't think rain and snow even sticks to them?

Seems like some low wattage heaters applied in and around the charge port would be a good accessory for winter-prone owners.

Or maybe they can work this stuff into an automotive paint? :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE[/youtube]
=Smidge=

KillaWhat said:
Does anybody make something like a 12VDC hairdryer?

http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSC-818-Defroster-Folding-Handle/dp/B000BHQ5JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361231411&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+hair+dryer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other choice would be to spray antifreeze or winter washer liquid around charge port (inside cover) every time you open it, that should prevent ice from forming (kind-of deicing they do for the planes :) if it works for planes, it should work for Leaf!)

GeekEV said:
Orange cover. Heh. You know you've got one of the early ones when you have an orange cover. Didn't the switch to both black at some point?

I don't know what you define by "early" but my 2012 model still has the orange J1772 port cover.

EDIT: This pic from another thread shows the 2013 models still using an orange J1772 port cover, albeit a different looking one. I alao see the CHAdeMO port cover is a lot more flush:

2013SLWhite15.jpg

If there are any Leafs with a black cover, it was probably just a temporary substitution.

kubel said:
Well, it happened again. Somehow, ice melted on my hood, dripped down and around the j1772 socket, and froze. Except this time without the charging handle in the socket. So when I did plug in once I got home, it wouldn't seat correctly. I had to go inside to retrieve a hair drier. :roll:

This is what happened once before, where water dripped down onto the lock mechanism on the handle and prevented the release from being depressed- essentially locking the handle into the socket.

LOL!! ooohhh "that" ICE....i thought this was about some sort of Volt charging issue...

Back