Charge light flashing when not charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

Ok, in 6 months, never seen this before.
Car is in garage all night. 50 miles of "range" on it. Not plugged in.
Get to car in the AM and the left most blue light in windshield area (from drivers least vantage) is flashing.
Odd.
Got in car, turned it on. Turned it off.
Light has gone out.
Anyone else seen this? Maybe nothing ...

I believe it means the car is using the main, traction battery to charge the 12v battery.

I've seen it only two times (although I'm sure it has happened many more times than that). If you leave it alone, it, typically, only lasts for about five minutes.

Edit: in reading the owners manual, it appears a few more things will cause that, if in operation:

climate control timer
remote climate control
Li-ion battery heater

Weatherman said:
I believe it means the car is using the main, traction battery to charge the 12v battery.

I've seen it only two times (although I'm sure it has happened many more times than that). If you leave it alone, it, typically, only lasts for about five minutes.

Edit: in reading the owners manual, it appears a few more things will cause that, if in operation:

climate control timer
remote climate control
Li-ion battery heater
If I could find my manual, I wouldn't have had to post that! Sorry! But thanks. Suspect Li-on heating.

sp4rk said:
Weatherman said:

climate control timer
remote climate control
Li-ion battery heater
If I could find my manual, I wouldn't have had to post that! Sorry! But thanks. Suspect Li-on heating.

Here they are :)

https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found it on page CH-29 of my owner's manual, weatherman is right - the big battery is charging the little battery. I noticed it for the first time today. I've had my car for 7 months, but I was just out of town for 10 days and the Leaf has been sitting. Since it is always parked in the garage, the solar panel couldn't keep the 12V battery charged... apparently.

I saw this just last night, and it puzzled the hell out of me. The thing is, I had charged the 12 volt battery with the maintainer just a couple of hours earlier. I reconnected the maintainer and it charged a bit more, but the battery wasn't super low. I wonder if this is an early symptom of 12V battery failure...?

LeftieBiker said:
I saw this just last night, and it puzzled the hell out of me. The thing is, I had charged the 12 volt battery with the maintainer just a couple of hours earlier. I reconnected the maintainer and it charged a bit more, but the battery wasn't super low. I wonder if this is an early symptom of 12V battery failure...?
I have always (bi-monthly) hooked up my Canadian Tire 12V battery charger on the battery posts except the last time about 3 weeks ago when I decided to put the negative lead to the negative wire on the PDM/inverter block. The 20A gfci receptacle supplying the charger decided to trip after plugging it in (sometimes this happens even when I normally hook the charger leads up to the battery posts, I suspect surge current causes it); however, this time the 3rd blue light came on (after a few relay clicks and low and behold there was 14 volts being supplied from the leaf's traction pack . This lasted 5 minutes and brought the battery voltage up to 12.6v approx. I suspect the leaf detected a large draw through the current sensor mounted on the load side of the batteries negative terminal and thus topped up the charge. After it finished I hooked up the Can. Tire charger like I always do back to the battery posts directly and topped it off with a 2A trickle charge for about 5-6 hours bringing the voltage to about 13v. Needless to say I will NOT be hooking up the negative charger lead to the to the PDM negative connection again! (Bypass the current sensor).

In my case there was no large load on the accessory battery, *unless* Carwings can communicate while the car is off, and that was the reason. If so, how much is that little transceiver drawing...?

ElectricEddy said:
LeftieBiker said:
I have always (bi-monthly) hooked up my Canadian Tire 12V battery charger on the battery posts except the last time about 3 weeks ago when I decided to put the negative lead to the negative wire on the PDM/inverter block. The 20A gfci receptacle supplying the charger decided to trip after plugging it in (sometimes this happens even when I normally hook the charger leads up to the battery posts, I suspect surge current causes it); however, this time the 3rd blue light came on (after a few relay clicks and low and behold there was 14 volts being supplied from the leaf's traction pack . This lasted 5 minutes and brought the battery voltage up to 12.6v approx. I suspect the leaf detected a large draw through the current sensor mounted on the load side of the batteries negative terminal and thus topped up the charge. After it finished I hooked up the Can. Tire charger like I always do back to the battery posts directly and topped it off with a 2A trickle charge for about 5-6 hours bringing the voltage to about 13v. Needless to say I will NOT be hooking up the negative charger lead to the to the PDM negative connection again! (Bypass the current sensor).
I think you have it backwards.

When you charge direct to the battery post you have bypassed the current sensor.

I think Ingineer's original recommendation to not charge direct to the battery posts is still correct.

When you charge direct to the posts, the LEAF negative lead current sensor is bypassed. That is undesireable for the LEAF knowing the 12V charge level.

When you hooked up the charger and pulled a surge out of the 12V battery tripping the GFCI, the LEAF did the correct thing to charge the 12V back up.

TimLee said:
ElectricEddy said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think you have it backwards.

When you charge direct to the battery post you have bypassed the current sensor.

I think Ingineer's original recommendation to not charge direct to the battery posts is still correct.

When you charge direct to the posts, the LEAF negative lead current sensor is bypassed. That is undesireable for the LEAF knowing the 12V charge level.

When you hooked up the charger and pulled a surge out of the 12V battery tripping the GFCI, the LEAF did the correct thing to charge the 12V back up.
Good! The sensor's main function is sense the current DRAW from the 12Vbattery anyway. I will continue to use the method recommended by the local Nissan tech and as listed in the service manual on page PG 59. The leaf knowing the 12V charge level is a joke anyways, that is why I have to remote charge it to start with. Impedance mismatch is probably what caused the surge to trip the gfci and lower the 12V level. At least the Leaf gave it a boost for it's typical 5 minute duration. (Not nearly enough).

Back