Not sure... dead battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PugLady

Hi folks. I tried searching the forum for car behavior problems like I'm having but can't find it specifically. My 2011 Leaf seems like the battery is dead and the battery will not charge. When I plug in the car, I get nothing. No blue lights, no beeping, no cycling sounds in the car like it's getting ready to charge or anything. The dash and touch screen are both dark.

However, the car is also behaving as though the car is ON insofar as when I shut the driver's side door without a key in the car, the car beeps as though it is on and is alerting me that a key is not there (three short beeps).

The car is not on. The dash is dark and the touch screen is dark. If I press the power button once (no brake), the dash remains dark. If I press it a second time (no brake), the dash lights up with all the indicator lights and I get three dashes for the miles, indicating the big battery is empty. It shouldn't be empty because it was charged night-before-last.

This did happen yesterday, also (the three dashes, no charge whatsoever) which was weird because I had just unplugged it from charging overnight, but I was able to briefly override this problem by turning the car off, then plugging it in again. I then pressed the power button twice as described above, whereby the dash lit up and correctly showed me that I had the full 80% (10 bars, and something like 86 miles). I then unplugged the car, depressed the brake and pressed the power button again, and the car turned on as per usual. While the car was on, I backed it out of the garage and then turned it off again, figuring that if the problem reappeared, I would go through the same steps and still be able to drive it to the dealership (I couldn't yesterday as it was Sunday).

Today, I can't repeat the 'success' of getting the car into drive mode. As I mentioned, the car behaves as though it's on, so it doesn't try to charge when I plug it in and I can't override a charging timer or anything. I should also mention that when I press the power button to turn it off, the dash displays the typical reminders for charging timer and climate control timer as though it was really turning off, but again, when I exit the car and close the door, it gives me the three warning beeps that sounds like it's saying "I'm on but I don't have the key inside".

Thoughts about what's going on? I have tried doing a long-press on the power button to see if anything changes, and it doesn't.

Update: The Roadside Assistance man was able to get the car into drive mode with a jump to the 12V battery which would seem to indicate that the 12V battery is the culprit. Still, that doesn't explain the weirdness with why the car behaved like it was still on (the beeps when closing the door).

PugLady said:
Update: The Roadside Assistance man was able to get the car into drive mode with a jump to the 12V battery which would seem to indicate that the 12V battery is the culprit. Still, that doesn't explain the weirdness with why the car behaved like it was still on (the beeps when closing the door).

It does seem like a 12 volt battery issue. If you search the forums, you will see many people have the car act very strange when it is low.

+1 to what everyone said. I still have the original 2011 OEM lead acid battery in my car. However, I know I'm running on borrowed time here, I keep a jumper 12V in the car, and connect a trickle to the 12V once a week or so. I'm determined to make it 7 years, just like my last ICE. We'll see. I'll probably end up at the side of the road.

Reddy said:
+1 to what everyone said. I still have the original 2011 OEM lead acid battery in my car. However, I know I'm running on borrowed time here, I keep a jumper 12V in the car, and connect a trickle to the 12V once a week or so. I'm determined to make it 7 years, just like my last ICE. We'll see. I'll probably end up at the side of the road.

Also still running on my original 12v. I've had doubts for the last 5 years that it'll last much longer, based on at rest voltages I've seen, but it keeps plugging away. :D

Back