Charging gone bad, Nissan wants to replace the charger assembly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn77

Several of us have ongoing issues -- and the same issue -- where there's a problem charging at some stations but not at Nissan charging stations. All these issues point to a blown diode or something similar.

I've had this issue for about 6 weeks now. I've also had my car into Nissan six separate times before they could finally run tests that I asked them to run, and before they finally got results that something is wrong.

Today's results from the dealership are:
1) Something's wrong with the charger assembly
2) We submitted the information to Nissan corporate to see what the next step is.
3) We don't see any part number for a "diode", so they might want to replace the charger assembly.

That's a $1700 part -- without labor! I'm already $1100 into this problem -- two diagnostic fees and a replaced VCM that didn't fix anything. A diode cost is just about nothing.

What do you recommend that I do? Can someone tell me how to convince them to replace the part of the assembly that's broken -- probably a diode -- and not the whole thing? This is all getting ridiculous. They must have knowledge about this issue, since it's all over the boards here in this forum.

Does it charge ok on the included L1 120 volt EVSE? How about on Aerovironment L2 EVSEs (http://www.evsolutions.com/ev-charging-nissan)?

If yes to both or at least the former, Darell went thru this and fixed it by wiring in a diode inline. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24560&hilit=diode.

I'm assuming that you're past your 5 year/60K powertrain and EV system warranty, right? OBC would be covered under that.

I just saw that topic and commented.

My issue was posted on here already. In short:
Level 1 = good
Level 2 = not at chargepoint (which is in my garage and near work). Always at Nissan and some other chargers
Level 3 = good

tn77 said:
My issue was posted on here already. In short:
Level 1 = good
Level 2 = not at chargepoint (which is in my garage and near work). Always at Nissan and some other chargers
Level 3 = good
On your level 2 comment, if it works on the Nissan branded Aerovironment L2 EVSEs, Darell asserts those units don't do a diode check. The stock Panasonic L1 120 volt EVSE (at least with '11 and '12 Leafs) apparently also doesn't do a diode check.

Yes, I'm aware this is a diode issue. It has taken me weeks to convince Nissan and they still aren't convinced.

My thread here is "what are my options". The fix in that other thread looks like an option, but it's not something I'm sure I want to take on.

tn77 said:
Yes, I'm aware this is a diode issue. It has taken me weeks to convince Nissan and they still aren't convinced.

My thread here is "what are my options". The fix in that other thread looks like an option, but it's not something I'm sure I want to take on.
If I were in your shoes, if I couldn't get Nissan to cover it for a reasonable cost, I'd either try the diode insertion routine myself or find a friend handy w/soldering. I've only soldered a few wires together myself but it seems like it's something that can be learned w/o too much difficult for this task.

If your car is still under the EV System 5-year, 60,000-mile warranty, then Nissan should replace the onboard charger assembly at their expense. If the car is not covered by warranty, then Nissan will say that the onboard charger must be replaced at your expense to fix the problem because the diode is not a replacement part (since it is an internal part of the onboard charger). Your inexpensive options are to insert an inline diode yourself as detailed in the other thread or hire an independent repair shop to do it (since it is not an approved Nissan repair procedure).

Yes, I'm past the 5-year warranty.

You say to find an "independent repair shop." Would an electrician also be comfortable with this work?

tn77 said:
Yes, I'm past the 5-year warranty.

You say to find an "independent repair shop." Would an electrician also be comfortable with this work?

An electrician or electronic technician could do it. It does require some disassembly (removal of covers) to get to the wires, but the description and photos in the other post show what needs to be done.

Can anyone explain image #2 in that other post? That's the EVSE... I don't need to do anything there, do I?

Another option that is a lot less expensive than letting a Nissan dealership anywhere near your car is to buy an openEVSE EVSE since it does not (per Darell) perform the diode check. If you do not have use for two L2 chargers you could sell the ChargePoint to recoup most of your cost.

Also note that Darell was able to insert a diode in the EVSE as an alternative solution. I presume he wanted to fix the OBC but if your charging is only at home or at DC fast chargers the pilot signal in the EVSE is a lot more accessible than in the car

FWIW, Ingineer posted about this issue back in http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13136&p=299259&hilit=diode#p299259. He also has some other insightful posts if you search by his handle and use the keyword diode.

Have you tried a local car audio shop? They are used to disassembling cars, and are usually skilled at soldering. Cutting a wire, soldering in a diode, and heat-shrinking it is a no-brainer.

I've contacted a few. No response.

Also, Nissan is dragging its feet on refunding me for the VCM replacement ($960~)

Any engineering university nearby should help. You have no location information in your profile area but I assume you're in the US. Craiglist or old-school hanging paper flyer on campus should do the trick.

tn77 said:
I've contacted a few. No response.

Also, Nissan is dragging its feet on refunding me for the VCM replacement ($960~)

I would print out the thread showing the diode installation, and go to a car audio shop in person, explaining to the head tech what needs done. Its such a simple fix that I can't imagine them not doing it. Just emphasize to them that there is no voltage on any of those wires on the plug, so they're not going to get electrocuted.

I should also add: Nissan absolutely refuses to discuss the diode. They want a $2800 fix or nothing.

2k1Toaster said:
Any engineering university nearby should help. You have no location information in your profile area but I assume you're in the US. Craiglist or old-school hanging paper flyer on campus should do the trick.
If only location were required here on MNL. I've asked numerous times, to no avail. :/

Back