2013 S and the charge timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praxis

Just got a 2013 S. I can't seem to understand the charge timer, because when I have it set I invariably can't charge on demand. Is there a way for me to just roll up to a level 2 charger and have it charge for an hour, tops, to give other folks a chance if I'm not immediately around to unplug and move? Or is this just for time of use charging?

Use the timer override button, located with the wheel heater, charge port open, etc, buttons, to charge whenever desired. I assume you already know that the S has an end timer, so you set it for when you want the car to finish charging.

Use the Timer Over-ride button as LeftieBiker says. You can't have it stop after a certain time, you can just have it stop at 80% or 100%. You could leave a note on PlugShare or on your dash saying feel free to unplug after an hour, but if you are still taking the spot up but not charging might be a worse faux paux.

It's really just for time of use charging. You set the "end" time, and it'll figure out when it should start charging, based on how low your battery is -- that way everyone's cars don't start charging all at once.

If you want to use the timer at home, you'll have to use the "Off"/override button (after shutting off the car, press it and it'll light up one of the charging lights to confirm) to charge outside normal hours -- anywhere you go. It'll charge all the way to 100% when using override, as I recall. Since there's no way for the car to identify a charging station (or vice versa), and thus no way to know if you're home, the charging timer always applies unless you override it.

The plug lock option switch (also to the left of the steering wheel, next to the timer override button) is a bit controversial in my opinion. Personally, I feel a plug lock is immoral and problematic - so mine is always set to "off" (the center position - it rocks up, down, and to the center). If you set it to "Auto", it'll lock until the car is completely and decidedly finished - which, if you use the override or 100% option, will be about 1+ hours after the battery is actually full, due to balancing & maintenance. If you set it to "On", it'll always be locked even after it's done charging.

The 80% option could be useful if you have the 6.6kW charger in your S -- that is, the "charge package", which includes the quick charging port. If you have that, you can set it to 80% charge, no timer, and "Auto" plug lock. Then, when you plug in, it'll quickly get to 80% (in an hour or so, depending on how low you were), then stop and unlock - instead of waiting out the whole, long maintenance period when going to 100%.

The 80% option could be useful if you have the 6.6kW charger in your S -- that is, the "charge package", which includes the quick charging port. If you have that, you can set it to 80% charge, no timer, and "Auto" plug lock. Then, when you plug in, it'll quickly get to 80% (in an hour or so, depending on how low you were), then stop and unlock - instead of waiting out the whole, long maintenance period when going to 100%.

It can take 2 or three hours, even to 80%, if the car is low on charge. Good idea, though. Just set the charge limit to 80% in the car's charging options (I'm not sure where it is with the S, just the SV/SL) and you don't need a timer at all. Just make sure to make sure that the timer is completely off, or the car won't charge except with the timer override.

Back