Inteligent key battery issues are driving me nuts!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cliff said:
... Are not all lithium
batteries rechargeable by the nature of being ion driven rather than chemical change driven?
They just have to be very carefully charged to keep from destroying them(current, voltage,
end condition).
Maybe.
But some are designed for recharging.
And others specifically state Do Not Recharge.

Usually the rechargeable ones are significantly less energy storage than the non-rechargeable versions.

jjeff said:
... I put the larger capacity 2032 in both and hope for a longer life. Note the larger battery fit pretty easy in the 3 button '12 but took a bit of effort to get the cover back on, in my '13 4 button remote. ...
Note that Sunbeam 2032 from Dollar Tree would NOT work in my 2011 fob.
Was lucky it didn't damage the fob.

Call my cranky, but I've been a bit annoyed that this thread w/this particular title has been bubbling up (when I use http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics), due to replies.

For some reason, I instinctively miss/ignore the word "battery" which to me, gives the impression that Intelligent Key is problematic or has issues, which is not true. But even w/"battery", I've never had any "battery issues" w/the IK. They last about 2 years, which is what the manual says. I recall replacing them on my 2 year leased car near the end.

I'm fairly sure I had to replace them on the 2-year lease return I bought. Big deal. I don't use crap coin cell batteries from Harbor Freight. I don't use ones that too thick (e.g. CR2032). I don't get mine from sketchy sources (e.g. wouldn't surprise me if some of the really cheap "name brand" coin cells on Amazon are counterfeit). Mitsubishi batteries from Daiso (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20218&p=431071&hilit=daiso#p431071) seem fine. 2 packs of those are $1.50.

I've also had Toyota's version (Smart Key System) in my 06 Prius since 06. That fob comes with and takes CR2032. Fob batteries last maybe 1-2 years longer in the Prius' SKS than in Nissan's IK. Have I ever been driven "nuts" by this? Nope.

Maybe this thread can just be locked? OP already started another thread on this before (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20163) even though there have been other fob battery threads. And, I think we can conclude that getting coin cells from HF is a mistake.

I also use name brand coin batteries, generally Energizer brand from a local big box home improvement store(Menards). I pay ~$6 on sale for a 4 pack. Personally I'd be a little leery of purchasing something like this from a place like Ebay or even Amazon(which I use for a lot of other purchases) I just feel it would be too easy to get counterfeits. My originals all lasted ~2 years but when I've replaced them I used 2032's because IMO 2025's are a big ripoff, like AAA batts(that are the same cost as AAs but are less than 1/2 the capacity). In the case of AAAs vs AA you can't really use AAs in place of AAAs because they are vastly different size so I just try and avoid products that use AAAs but in the case of 2025 vs 2032 I've found that most devices that originally took 2025s can accommodate 2032 just fine, except for watches that are made to close tolerances, in that case I just bite the bullet and use 2025s.
I also see the cardboard 20 or even 40 pack of watch type batteries at places like Harbor Freight and such but generally pass, I figure if I can get 2 or hopefully 3 or 4 years using 2032s from a battery that cost me $1.50 I'm good with that. I'd hate to have my battery leak acid(if lithium batteries do that :? ) and ruin a $100 remote. If I felt the 2032s would cause remote damage I'd also not do that but for both the 3 and 4 button remotes I've used them in, they closed just fine with just a bit of squeezing.

TimLee said:
jjeff said:
... I put the larger capacity 2032 in both and hope for a longer life. Note the larger battery fit pretty easy in the 3 button '12 but took a bit of effort to get the cover back on, in my '13 4 button remote. ...
Note that Sunbeam 2032 from Dollar Tree would NOT work in my 2011 fob.
Was lucky it didn't damage the fob.
I put the 2032 in my 2011 FOB this morning after getting the 3/4 dash light. It is thicker but the same voltage. Incidentally it is a Sunbeam from the dollar store leftover from a Motherboard replacement battery. Put it in, closed it and it didn't work. Because it's thicker the little metal prongs on the non electronic side do not reach their landing pads. So just give them a little push with a screwdriver to get them extending a bit and all is good. Since these are thicker, they have more capacity and will last longer. But again time will tell.

^^^^ Interesting.
Appreciate you confirming a 2032 Sunbeam would not work without modifying the fob :D

When I did it I was making the change in a parking lot so did not consider modifying the fob.
Plus my wife lost the second fob so I currently only have one, so was hesitant to do modifications.

Glad to know it can be made to work.

Not sure if the '11 remote was different that the '12 but as I posted earlier I had no problem with the Energizer 2032 in my 3 button '12, it was a rather tight snap shut on my '13 4 button remote though, kind of worry how easily it will come apart when the time comes.
I'd think Sunbeam and Energizer would be exactly the same dimensions but who knows. Also I didn't have to bend anything to get the 2032 to work in either remote, just installed the battery and snapped the cover back on.

EVerlasting said:
The original Sony CR2025 non-rechargeable battery in my 2012 Nissan LEAF SL's Intelligent (FOB) key, lasted for almost one year. After it got discharged, I found Energizer CR2025 non-rechargeable battery in Home Depot but it was a bit pricey for one battery, So I bought a pack of five for $1 at local Dollar store. Each one of those lasted for about 4 months. I was replacing them every 4-6 months for 1.5 years.....
s-l140.jpg

Battery eBay link ($4 for two rechargeable batteries): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-LIR2025-R...5-Batteries-/201012503089?hash=item2ecd476231

s-l140.jpg

Charger eBay link ($7): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charger-For...y-Brand-New-/321729833370?hash=item4ae897a99a
Sep 2016 Update: This rechargeable Lithium battery is working well. It discharged twice after a span of about 6-8 months each. The last time I recharged it was in March 2016 and it got discharged in September 2016. Recharging takes less than an hour. Surprisingly the LED indicator on the charger mysteriously started working. It was Red when in inserted the discharged battery and it turned Green when it was recharged and ready. Buying a brand name battery from Home Depot or Lowes is better because they last longer. But I prefer a rechargeable one even if it means I have to recharge it every 6-8 months. This saves me a little money and I don't have to throw away non-rechargeable ones anymore.

First class Sony CR2032 batteries are dirt cheap from Amazon. A pack of 5 is only $4 with free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-Lithium-Batteries-Pack/dp/B0042KOJRE/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474860348&sr=1-7&keywords=cr2032

Better yet I buy them in lots of 30 for only $8. They fit many devices like some wireless alarm transmitters, garage door openers etc. what I love about Amazon is that their batteries are usually fresh due to high turnover.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-Lithium-Coin-Cell/dp/B008XBK7PG/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474860348&sr=1-3&keywords=cr2032

Flyct said:
First class Sony CR2032 batteries are dirt cheap from Amazon. A pack of 5 is only $4 with free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-Lithium-Batteries-Pack/dp/B0042KOJRE/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474860348&sr=1-7&keywords=cr2032

Better yet I buy them in lots of 30 for only $8. They fit many devices like some wireless alarm transmitters, garage door openers etc. what I love about Amazon is that their batteries are usually fresh due to high turnover.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-Lithium-Coin-Cell/dp/B008XBK7PG/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474860348&sr=1-3&keywords=cr2032
I wouldn't be surprised if many of the very cheap lithium coin cells found on Amazon from random resellers (not Amazon itself) are counterfeit.

BTW, I called for this before:
"Maybe this thread can just be locked? OP already started another thread on this before (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20163) even though there have been other fob battery threads. "

Can we just lock this thread or can the mods rename the title? It can really give people who don't know any better the wrong idea.

I've had a Leaf w/Inteligent Key for over 3 years. I've have a car with Toyota's version, Smart Key System since 2006. Neither version has *EVER* driven me nuts. The fob batteries wear out and need to be replaced. It's documented in the Leaf manual that the IK batteries will last about 2 years. At Nissan's implementation has a warning graphic in the dash display when the fob batteries are running low.

When they die, replace them.

In China, there's counterfeit everything for sale. http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022 has a story about acquiring some sketchy microSD cards. Skip to the paragraph starting with "The first thing I had to do was collect a lot of samples."

When I picked up my 2014 Leaf last week the dealer who mainly refurbishes Pruis handed me two Key Fobs apologizing that his protective cases were branded Prius and not Leaf. He gives them out to help protect the fobs and their batteries from dying an early death from having the buttons constantly pressed or getting packed full of pocket lint.

They are very similar to this:
51KJ5rVq-KL.jpg

^^^ nice, mine also tends to get full of lint and I also worry about having the fob get scratched in my pocket due to other things in my pocket. I'll have to check Amazon to see if they have similar fob protectors for sale.

jjeff said:
^^^ nice, mine also tends to get full of lint and I also worry about having the fob get scratched in my pocket due to other things in my pocket. I'll have to check Amazon to see if they have similar fob protectors for sale.

That pic was from Amazon and the price was around $10 some with free shipping.

RockyNv said:
jjeff said:

That pic was from Amazon and the price was around $10 some with free shipping.
Yes I found that picture on Amazon, too bad the reviews are so terrible :( Lots of negative reviews with problems like: way too big, name rubs off within weeks, not leather and poor quality, etc. etc.. Apparently most of these things are shipped from mainland China and are very poor quality. Not saying yours is as you said you got yours from the seller, maybe he found a better supplier?? but I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon.
I did see a few other leather varieties on Amazon, most the fob slips in from the end but then I'd wonder how much they'd keep lint out if kept in your pocket.....I'm kind of intrigued by the silicone ones that start around $9. They also slip in from the end but being silicone maybe they hug the fob tighter. They also have silicone over the buttons(they come in 3 and 4 button fob style) but none have graphics for the charge port lid on a Leaf, they either show a trunk or hatch for that button but of course since it's just a cover you just have to remember that button is for the charge hatch, the other buttons are the same as our Leaf fob.
Not sure if this search results link will work, but it's what found when I searched Amazon for "leather fob cover for Nissan".

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=leather+fob+holder+for+nissan&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aleather+fob+holder+for+nissan

Tried random eBay battery. It was not a good idea.
Skipped to identical OEM battery (Sony CR2025) and problem solved.

Both OEM batteries lasted for 2+ years (25 and 26 months). Expect identical result from new Sony batteries.
PS: verify that "USE BY" date is in distant future. My battery had "use by 2026".

Similar to mine as in a concept. The size of the one I got is a bit smaller and more useful for my purposes The one I received is 3 inches long, 1.5 inches wide and 0.75 inches thick. The Toyota Logo is branded into it without any silver leaf or white inlay on the front and the name and phone number of the dealership branded into the back without any white of silver embellishment.

For over a week now it has been hanging on an OKay Key Safe which has been on my belt for 45 years now and is holding up to being there with all my other key rings without a scratch on it so far. Shop around and you'll find one similar without the frufrue silver or gold that will ultimately wear off. It is after all a disposable utilitarian item to protect the fob by taking the hits and wear itself and not a fashion accessory.

The one in the picture I provided was probably twice that size but had over 75% positive reviews with many of the negatives being about its size or the perception that being stiff it must be made of cardboard so I take those with a grain of salt.

In reality if a little Mom and Pop Hybrid Repair Shop that also sells used Hybrid and Electric cars can provide the cases without going broke whats up with a multi-billion dollar operation like Nissan stinting on something this simple that could potentially save them from replacing expensive remotes under warranty? The personalized service and attention of the staff was also far superior to that of any of the mega Nissan dealerships I went to save for one who was almost as good.

Keep searching as these little disposable cases are out there to give up the ghost while protecting your wireless keys.

Back