Charging Timer End Time Only

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVinCbus

I'm having an issue with the charging timer when set only for an end time. The manual states that if a start time is NOT set, but an end time is, the car will determine when to start charging to reach the desired charge at the set end time. For example, it's 11:00PM EST Saturday night and I want the battery to be at 80% charge by 10:30am Sunday morning. According to the car and it's current battery charge level, it will take 3 hours on 120v charge to reach 80%. Therefore, the car shouldn't begin charging until around 7:30am Sunday morning. However, I set the end timer only, verify the clocks are correct, etc., and plug in the supplied 120v charger, but the car begins to charge!

Just to verify the charge timer works on another setting, I set a start time of 7:30am and end time of 10:30am Sunday morning. Under these conditions the timer works as it should (lights illuminate in order 1...2...3 and repeat).

Has anyone else worked through this issue with success? Any advice? I wonder if rebooting the Leaf will solve the problem? I've also read something about pulling the F34 fuse for 30 seconds to reset the Telematics Control Unit (TCU). Is the charge timer even related to the TCU?

smkettner said:
Start time has always been way early. Especially on L1.
Use the start timer if you want to start charging after a certain time.

Thanks for the reply smkettner. Are you suggesting that a home L2 set on an end time only would operate as the manual states?

I left the 7:30am to 10:30am start and end time on the L1 charger overnight (car displayed 3 hr charge time on 120v to reach 80%). When I woke up at 9am the charger was already off and battery charged to 80%. Seems a bit odd. Could a 20A vs 15A circuit make a difference? I've been plugging the L1 into the 20A circuit for charging.

Lastly, any recommendations on an L2 charger?

L2 will probably also start early however it is not nearly as exaggerated as L1.
I recommend Clipper Creek for for EVSE. Model will depend on available power and your specific needs.

EVinCbus said:
I'm having an issue with the charging timer when set only for an end time. The manual states that if a start time is NOT set, but an end time is, the car will determine when to start charging to reach the desired charge at the set end time. For example, it's 11:00PM EST Saturday night and I want the battery to be at 80% charge by 10:30am Sunday morning. According to the car and it's current battery charge level, it will take 3 hours on 120v charge to reach 80%. Therefore, the car shouldn't begin charging until around 7:30am Sunday morning. However, I set the end timer only, verify the clocks are correct, etc., and plug in the supplied 120v charger, but the car begins to charge!
Sorry for this "are you sure you plugged it in?"-type question, but...

In order for the car to know how far before the end time it should begin charging, it has to know (well, besides the battery's current state-of-charge) how much power is available from the EVSE. I assume it can determine available current from the pilot signal, if that modulation is always present. But to determine what VOLTAGE the EVSE will suppy, the car pretty much has to ask the EVSE to begin charging (close its contactor) so that the car can measure the voltage. To the EVSE, this "scope out the voltage" phase looks exactly like a charging event, other than the fact that it lasts only a second or two. Is it possible you're mistaken about the "sincerity" of the charge? You verified that the charging event doesn't self-terminate more or less immediately?

EVinCbus said:
I'm having an issue with the charging timer when set only for an end time. The manual states that if a start time is NOT set, but an end time is, the car will determine when to start charging to reach the desired charge at the set end time.

I think I've just had the first part of this problem today:

Model: 2016 SV 30 kHw

I wanted to set the timer as an end-point only, so that the car would automatically begin charging, as according to the manual.

I used the blue Nissan logo, checked the Estimated Time, then edited the schedule. At that time it was July 25, 2016, 8pm-ish. I wanted the timer to stop at 8:30 am the next day when I would leave so I set the end timer under Edit Schedule for July 26, 2016, 8:30am. I thought this meant that the car would automatically start sometime during the night and end at 8:30am.

I set Timer A for 8:30 am as an end timer, and saved my work. I turned my car off as instructed and plugged in. The three lights blinked in sequence and then turned dark after five minutes just as the manual notes.

But when I checked in the morning, no charging had been performed.

What did I miss?
J.Tim

JTim said:
EVinCbus said:
I'm having an issue with the charging timer when set only for an end time. The manual states that if a start time is NOT set, but an end time is, the car will determine when to start charging to reach the desired charge at the set end time.

I think I've just had the first part of this problem today:

Model: 2016 SV 30 kHw

I wanted to set the timer as an end-point only, so that the car would automatically begin charging, as according to the manual.

I used the blue Nissan logo, checked the Estimated Time, then edited the schedule. At that time it was July 25, 2016, 8pm-ish. I wanted the timer to stop at 8:30 am the next day when I would leave so I set the end timer under Edit Schedule for July 26, 2016, 8:30am. I thought this meant that the car would automatically start sometime during the night and end at 8:30am.

I set Timer A for 8:30 am as an end timer, and saved my work. I turned my car off as instructed and plugged in. The three lights blinked in sequence and then turned dark after five minutes just as the manual notes.

But when I checked in the morning, no charging had been performed.

What did I miss?
J.Tim

Did you inadvertently have a start time programmed? If you previously used the timers, there may have been a start time still in program memory. In that case, charging would not start until the start time was reached. Another possibility--did you have the correct day(s) selected for Timer A before closing the timer screen?

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Did you inadvertently have a start time programmed? If you previously used the timers, there may have been a start time still in program memory. In that case, charging would not start until the start time was reached. Another possibility--did you have the correct day(s) selected for Timer A before closing the timer screen?
Gerry

This is the first time I’ve used the timer, so no start time was in memory (as far as I know the dealer never set one).

Well I *thought* I had set the correct day. I’ll try this again this evening and carefully select Wednesday and an End Timer 8:30 am, but no Start Timer to see what happens.

Thanks for the answer!

Try setting the end timer for every day. I have been thinking that the system might consider tomorrow evening as Wednesday and try to complete charge by Thursday morning. I use start and end times with both timers to cover my off-peak power charging Windows so I have never used just an end timer.

Gerry

I agree with the everyday setting. If It's a day I don't drive I just don't plug it in. If I need to go further than the charge the car has I just hit a nearby QC for what I need. Works great for me with my 2016 SV.
I use L1 so my charge times are long anyway but sometimes I plug in early and the end time assures me that my time at 100% will be minimal. I do notice that the actual and time is a couple of hours short of the set end time if the car is able to reach %100. Not a big deal for me as it's cool here when that happens. If I start with a low charge in the evening I just get what I get and the timer stops at the set time.

gregn said:
I agree with the everyday setting. If It's a day I don't drive I just don't plug it in. If I need to go further than the charge the car has I just hit a nearby QC for what I need. Works great for me with my 2016 SV.
I use L1 so my charge times are long anyway but sometimes I plug in early and the end time assures me that my time at 100% will be minimal. I do notice that the actual and time is a couple of hours short of the set end time if the car is able to reach %100. Not a big deal for me as it's cool here when that happens. If I start with a low charge in the evening I just get what I get and the timer stops at the set time.

Setting the timer for end-time-only and all days of the weeks is the answer.

Save and turn off car. Plug in.

Car beeps twice, and lamps flash one after another for five minutes then go dark, as per manual.

The "actual and time is a couple of hours short of the set end time" is something I noticed, too. I had counted in my mind how many hours to full and looked at the battery level where I thought the percentage charge level would be, but found the actual level much closer to 100% than I thought it would be. Maybe the faster charging for the newer cars at work?

Thanks everyone.

I bought my used 2016 Leaf SL the day after Christmas. I've been learning the ins and outs of maximizing my range (as I have a long commute). But I'm having issues with the charging timer. This afternoon I parked the car in our driveway with 20 miles left in range. Estimate for charging was 16 1/2 hours. Timer set to end charging at 10:40 Sunday morning. I plugged it in. Figured it would have to start charging around 6-6:10pm. Checked it at 9pm and my apps said it still had only 28% or 20 miles. I pressed start charging on the app and it now seems to be charging. I want to trust that timer but his can I? 9pm Saturday to 10:40am Sunday is way less than 16.5 hours. I hope we'll have enough charge to get to church and run a couple errands. I don't feel I can trust it on a workday.

Presently we only have a level 1 charger. Electrician is supposed to be here Monday.

Back